navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: second battery bank and stuff  (Read 3522 times)
Scruff

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »

Common practice for vehicle dwellers. I link 235Ah (semi-traction) with 90Ah (starting) for light engine electrical loads and it works. Boats often will link service battery, bow thruster and engine starter for charging.

Works fine once you know what you are up to and the limitations .
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:03:28 AM by Scruff » Logged
eabadger

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 07:53:27 AM »

hi Justme, have you or are you doing this then? or have you done it? can you describe how you have done and for how long?
if the two batts are in parallel you will only ever get power of the smallest, or you will kill the smallest if i go to 80% dod on the bigger, the smaller will be 0, also on charging it will be the same, my bigger bank needs a 5 hour absorption time the small was 3.
by doing what i am now doing we are utilizing something not scraping it or damaging my good bank, yesterday i was able to boost my victron to heat my dhw using method i described above, so renewable result as far as i can see, which after all is what all of us are after?
these batteries at no cost may give me one extra or two extra days without running the genset, remember all the stuff i have used was lying around looking for a new life.

scruff, victron do a battery combiner just for this, it is meant to be "smart" with emergency override.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: