navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My PowerVault - small milestone  (Read 6058 times)
Iain

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »

Hi

My first full month with the Powervault.

These are just rough calculations.

My average daily power use is 8 kWh / day

With solar PV my import reduces to approx 5 kWh / day

With the Solar and Powervault my daily Import for the last month has been 1.2 kWh /day

The readings on the portal don't really match up with anything in reality so these readings have been worked out from my house meters.

From Powervault I get these readings

Period Monitored 2018-06-01 to 2018-07-01
Energy Imported           19.89 kWh
Energy Exported           125.18 kWh
Energy Charge AC       159.81 kWh
Energy Discharge AC   55.23 kWh

However my own meters say:-
Import 45kWh
Export 132 kWh

These tie in with my PV inverter and have read correctly so far

However the unit works a treat and am very happy with it. The monitoring could be better.
I decided on the older model but with 4 Kwh battery
It gives me the emergency outlet which supplies my important stuff during a power cut. Tested and works already. Only house in the street with power for the day!

Iain
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:03:50 AM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
http://www.bdpv.com/fiche_utilisateur_en.php?util=iain
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?plant=cba8d47f-bf09-4533-a105-4303b353f20f&splang=
dc

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »

I joined the Powervault club yesterday, 4kW system.

Sharp NU-E235 x 17 = 3.995kWp, SB4000TL, Essex CM8 3NR  Lat - 51-46'41"
Sprinter

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »

welcome aboard, that's five i think we have now Smiley

As for the Power vault reporting its inaccurate at best, why the company takes statistics daily and then cannot add them up i don't know.

I consider ourselves to be early adopters, and are generally as much interested in the technology as the savings, so i find it strange that the company provides us with such poor reporting for our systems, I would have thought that would be one of the things that they would have sorted out so the rest of us can evangelize effectively for them. My unit number is 392 so that's definitely early adopter status as far as i am concerned (though it would be interesting to know what unit number they are up to now).

I wrote to them earlier in the week as i noticed how poor thier reporting was, the historic data changes monthly, at one point i had part reports for March which was the month i had it installed, but now the first report i have is for April, and the April figure changed at some point in June. Here is the response i had back, and i appreciate that they are updating thier portal to eliminate this, but im surprised that in this day and age they don't have the reporting locked down already.

The graphs that are generated in the historical data section of the Portal unfortunately have some inherent issues and produce fairly inaccurate figures. This is why you are seeing the discrepancy in data from each month's readings.

Whilst we are very aware of this issue and are working on fixing it, we are also unable to give a timescale for completion. This is partly because we are also developing an entirely new and much improved Portal which will be a great deal easier to use and give users access to the information they need.

I still think the system is great by the way, and is definitely cutting my electricity import and export significantly but just be aware that any reports you pull off the portal will be close to the truth I.E. in the ball park, but not an exact reflection of what the device is doing.
Iain

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »

Hi

The readings from the portal are very inaccurate.
For a while the Charging/ Discharging was reading as Watts and also was a factor of 100 out.
As an example of the discrepancies:-
From the Portal.

Energy Imported        97 kWh
Energy Exported        135 kWh
Energy Charge AC      201 kWh
Energy Discharge AC  194 kWh

From Powervault via email

Period Monitored 2018-06-01 to 2018-07-01
Energy Imported           19.89 kWh
Energy Exported           125.18 kWh
Energy Charge AC       159.81 kWh
Energy Discharge AC   55.23 kWh

My Readings

Energy imported  45 kWh
Energy Exported  132 kWh

But

As you say the unit "does what it says on the box" and am very happy with it
My Unit is No 1012
They said they would upgrade me to the newer unit free of charge, however the new unit does not have the emergency back up supply. I believe it also charges and discharges at a higher rate.
I wanted the Emergency socket. I also thought the lower charge and discharge rates might help the batteries last longer, (rightly or wrongly??)
I also have a 2kW PV system so I thought the older unit suited my smaller system better. Not sure if my reasoning is/was correct, but all seems to work well.

Iain
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:23:35 AM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
http://www.bdpv.com/fiche_utilisateur_en.php?util=iain
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?plant=cba8d47f-bf09-4533-a105-4303b353f20f&splang=
dan_b

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »

The incorrect unit factor has been fixed on my portal in the last week or so - it was like that since the beginning, I had learned to ignore it and correct it in my head.
I thought the actual data on the daily figures were relatively accurate in terms of energy saved per day - you're right though the data from the "history" part of the portal is dubious. I flagged this to them a year ago as there were clear discrepancies, seems there still are.
My unit is number 215 and I was an early adopter - good to see that they're getting other customers Smiley

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Sprinter

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »

I was not given the option of the new system as an upgrade, but like yourself i would not have taken it (unless it allowed me to stack even more storage batteries), the reason being is that i also wanted the emergency outlet in order to maintain my tropical fish setup in the event of a grid outage.

I was not trying to knock the system, just make people aware of the historic data issue that i am assured will be fixed soon(ish).

A great system, time to start saving for a new heating system next, it never ends Smiley
cricha

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2018, 07:31:27 AM »

I've had a 4kw lead acid powervault since December 2017.
I'm interested in how accurate the percentage charge is. I notice when the charge is said to be 100% it goes on charging at a slower rate.
Reading the soecification it says the actual caoacity of the batteries is I think 8 kw but the useable caoacity is 4kw.
So I am wondering if it is actually possible to use more than 4kw.
dan_b

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

The lead acid battery pack in the PowerVault is something like 8kWh but it's set to a depth of discharge of about 50% capacity - hence 4kWh - this is to try and prolong battery life by not fully discharging it every time.
What you should see is that the closer it gets back to 100% capacity the slower it will charge, until it maintains a sort of "trickle" charge.

What I have seen with my battery is that it's quite possible to get more than 4kWh out of it during the day if you use your white goods in the morning, drain some of the battery, and then it can re-charge again in the afternoon. I've actually seen 7kWh of discharge in one day in May this year which must have been a long sunny day and I probably did a lot of loads of washing!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
cricha

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2018, 11:15:16 AM »

Is the figure that powevault produces for energy saved the total energy from the battery during 24 hours. It varies so much that I wonder how accurate it is. I have seen over 8kw on one occasion.

I am part of the Tonik trial which involves using off peak electricity to charge the battery when there is little solar energy available. Setting how long to charge for is a bit hit and miss. The result has been a karger total energy consumption but as about 65% of energy from the grid is off peak the cost is definitely less.

If I have understood correctly what Tonik plan it us to charge a varying amount according to the wholesale price and to control the battery so it discharges when the price is high.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: