navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golf Batteries, car batteries & capacitors?  (Read 3582 times)
Bear

« on: May 25, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »

I have a 100 watt panel on my garage roof powering a 12 volt 20ah golf cart battery, the regulator only allows use of 10% of the battery's power.
I am over the moon with what I have got so far, 15 meters of led lighting lasts for about four hours, now I would like a couple of hours more and also have my laptop in use.

So here's the question, can I join the 20ah battery with an 18ah battery (12volt system), or will the smaller battery suffer?
I also have a Ultracapacitor 350F SixPack Module, is it ok to use this with my 20ah battery, or even both 20 & 18ah?  

I have two good car batteries going spare, am, I right in thinking that they are no good for off an grid system at all, even if it is for a light work load?

Cheers Bear.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:03:00 PM by Bear » Logged
Sean

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »

I have a 100 watt panel on my garage roof powering a 12 volt 20ah golf cart battery, the regulator only allows use of 10% of the battery's power.

Could you provide more details as to why ?

Does the regulator have a set of output terminals that you've connected the loads to ?
Bear

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 01:55:39 PM »

The regulator (5amp) only allows 10% of the battery's power to be used, so discharge and then heavy charging will not harm the battery; giving it a nice long life.

Yes, all the power used comes from the terminals on the regulator, not directly from the battery.

I'm thinking of running a 12volt cigarette socket to charge the laptop, and later on the system can grow as more demand is needed. 
Sean

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »

The regulator (5amp) only allows 10% of the battery's power to be used, so discharge and then heavy charging will not harm the battery; giving it a nice long life.

That sounds rather unconventional, can you post a link to the regulator ?
Scruff

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »

Change the cig lighter for an interface that won't melt
Bear

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »

Link to the regulator.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201386564644?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=500578541058&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »

Hi Bear,
       If you allow your battery to drop to 10.5 volts before shutting down, It will crock the battery super quick.
  You need to keep your battery above 12.3volts under load. Once you step below this your battery will suffer.
                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
rogeriko

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:31:02 PM »

Forget about the capacitor just connect all the batteries in parrallel ie all the +'s together and all the -'s together and you will have a much more powerful system. You need a voltmeter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Digital-LED-Display-Voltage-Volt-Voltmeter-Car-Motor-DC-3-2-30V-VOLT-METER 1-/222425113757?hash=item33c991e49d:g:xqUAAOSwNSxVBEZj so you can accurately monitor battery voltage and not let the batteries discharge too much. Then you can connect things directly to the batteries and not be limited by the low current from the charger output.

Bear

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »

Hi Bear,
       If you allow your battery to drop to 10.5 volts before shutting down, It will crock the battery super quick.
  You need to keep your battery above 12.3volts under load. Once you step below this your battery will suffer.
                                                Biff
Thanks Biff, that's good info.

So in effect what your saying is, send the battery to bed fully charged, and only lite use in the day light, unless we have a large enough battery bank to cope with demand down to 12.3volts.
So at night it's ok to drop the voltage to 10.5 volts? This is roughly 10%, I did hear some people drop the voltage by 20%.
Bear

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »

Forget about the capacitor just connect all the batteries in parrallel ie all the +'s together and all the -'s together and you will have a much more powerful system. You need a voltmeter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Digital-LED-Display-Voltage-Volt-Voltmeter-Car-Motor-DC-3-2-30V-VOLT-METER 1-/222425113757?hash=item33c991e49d:g:xqUAAOSwNSxVBEZj so you can accurately monitor battery voltage and not let the batteries discharge too much. Then you can connect things directly to the batteries and not be limited by the low current from the charger output.
Yes, joining batteries together in this way was what I had in mind.

The two batteries are different capacity, 18ah & 20ah, I thought maybe that at full charge and with no draw the 20ah would over power the 18ah and eventually damage it.  Or is the difference between these two batteries just not worth mentioning?
Also wouldn't the 43 & 45ah car batteries over power the 18 & 20ah deep cycle golf batteries?

I don't like the idea of not having some kind of automated shut down if the charge drops too low.
Sean

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 06:11:18 PM »

So at night it's ok to drop the voltage to 10.5 volts? This is roughly 10%, I did hear some people drop the voltage by 20%.

No, 10.5v is very likely to be way beyond 100% - if you do that a few times you'll likely have killed the battery (permanently)

Can you provide a link to your battery ? - fully discharged is likely to be 11.??v

Discharging the battery down to zero volts is not using 100% of its capacity - I suspect you have misunderstood capacity usage.
Bear

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »

So when you talk %, your talking usable voltage range, ie the top one or two volts is 100%.
I took it to mean 12 volts - 10%=10.8% volts. The regulator looks like it is set this way as well or am I reading this wrong? 
Sean

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 06:51:33 PM »

........ ie the top one or two volts is 100%.

For a nominally 12 volt battery yes - but the exact range will differ between battery types and brands.
Bear

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »

Ah! So when people say they use 10% of the battery's power they actually mean they use 0.2volts?
They must have the battery banks from a ww2 submarine to power their house's. Smiley
rogeriko

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »

Here you go.

* battery percentage.jpg (29.67 KB, 382x285 - viewed 171 times.)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: