navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golf Batteries, car batteries & capacitors?  (Read 1986 times)
Bear

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »

Ok, thanks for that. What an eye opener, I had no idea.

And the batts, join them all together irrespective of their values?   
Sean

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 08:10:28 PM »

And the batts, join them all together irrespective of their values?   

No, unless they are new and of the same capacity - but if you are using cheap used ones that owe you nothing, you can do what you like with them.
Bear

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 08:40:21 PM »

Thanks for all your help guys, appreciate it.

I think I'll look in to capacitors. Although their capacity is small compared with a battery, so is there size & weight, and they can drain them right down, as long as you keep the last volt or two.

Now all I need is a supermarket that's getting new tube lights and skipping the old ones Smiley 
rogeriko

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »

Capacitors dont store any energy why would you want them?Huh?

oliver90owner

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »

Capacitors dont store any energy why would you want them??

That is exactly what capacitors do!  He has likely read about the super capacitors, graphene and all that.

Good luck to him.  They have been touted as the "coming" storage solution for several years but so far have not yet proven to be a commercial success.
rogeriko

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »

The OP is looking at collecting capacitors out of supermarket fluorescent lights. They do not store any energy, maybe 1000th of an amp but nothing usable. Even a car multifarad capacitor will discharge almost immeadiately when connected to a lightbulb.  We are not talking about new super expensive capacitors here.

Sean

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »

I also have a Ultracapacitor 350F SixPack Module

I got the impression he wants to use the salvaged florescent fittings for providing addition illumination - he allready has some form of high performance capacitor.
Bear

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »

Scratch that idea then.  lol  Smiley

Bear

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »

Just as an experiment I thought I'd give the 350f supper capacitor pack a try on it's own and see what would happen.
It worked ok in the day, draining down to around 10 volts, but at night it ran out after only 5 minutes.  I knew it wasn't going to be good.
I fitted an led volt meter to the battery terminals to keep tabs on the voltage, after 2 or 3 days of rainy cloudy weather I popped back in to the garage, unfortunately the volt meter drained all the juice from the capacitor pack.
The voltage regulator had it's hissy fit and refused to work, even after fully charging the capacitor pack (with a car battery).
So the old golf cart battery back on, and the charger still didn't want to know, I had to threaten it with a screwdriver before it sprang in to life.

Anyhow, the answer to my question is, yes capacitor packs are good if you have enough of them. A 350f pack (120) is nowhere, a 3500f (1000+) would behave more like my 20ah golf cart battery (5 from a car boot sale).

Oh, while I'm here. Have you seen people on youtube claiming this little supper capacitor pack can start their cars and trucks?
Well the pack that I bought which was exactly the same, started my 1.2 Renault Clio only once, badly, then died.  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:39:11 PM by Bear » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: