navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A very useful little machine  (Read 1790 times)
heatherhopper

« on: May 25, 2017, 02:40:11 PM »

Drought conditions (no, I am not overstating that) have come very early this year so we have found another use for our little dehumidifier - water collection for active use.
Now most will laugh at this as a bit of an irrelevance but 5l+ a day is not to be sniffed at while also usefully utilising some of the excess power generation. To put it in context - we have had a grand total of 147mm of rain in 2017 following on from a couple of similarly dry years and much of that scoots off down the hill before it gets a chance to soak in. Bl**dy El Nino or CC or whatever.
I imagine most dehumidifiers don't see a lot of service this time of the year so here is another, albeit minor, contribution they can make. I am upgrading this particular "luxury" item to the top of my most useful all-round domestic appliance list - it was already near the top for it's winter contribution - and I may think about getting another, larger one.
I also feel inspired to go searching for more ridiculous methods of capturing water from the air - sure to be some wonderful bodges with old fridge/freezer parts out there.
Anyone any other ideas? Unless we have rainfall of biblical proportions every drop we can get will be precious before this summer is out.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
bautsche

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »

If you want to go one bigger, you can always go for one like this:
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/technik-motor/umwelt-technik/nebelfaenger-wasser-aus-der-luft-gegriffen-14921729.html
(google translate may be your friend here, if you don't speak German... ;-)  )

The company itself is here: https://www.aqualonis.com/

May be one for you, depending on location.... ;-)

Eric
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »

Well done, water drawn from the air & repurposed is very sensible, far better than pouring it down the drain! ..don't undersell yourself, we've been dual using sink waste water upstairs for a year, I'm thinking that I don't really want to go back to just flushing everytime,  ..half a bucket is a good flush! ..might sound archaic to some, but yes we've also been eyeing up the soil, the pine tree cracking pods & dropping seed.. for the past fortnight, too early locally & therefore water waste & re-direction is a literal lifesaver when it comes to the crunch.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
heatherhopper

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »

Interesting idea Eric - sure I've seen coverage of these working in coastal desert locations. We do get hill fog but most usually outside of the summer period and when we do the fell vegetation itself (what's left of it) acts as one gigantic net and our water is delivered as usual. Not sure I would get the required permission to start erecting netting around the place anyway!
Yes Mr Gus every little helps and just as relevant for those who rely on the creeky infrastructure as for those of us who are accustomed to providing for ourselves. I am constantly amazed we see little coverage of the water supply situation in the UK in sustainability discussions - a false sense of security I think.
Still on the look out for power driven extraction ideas. There are fewer than I thought out there and a fair bet some real chocolate teapots among them. Fridge conversion seems quite feasible and I do have a spare - trouble is I wouldn't have a spare if it was converted.
Maybe it will rain tomorrow but I'm not betting on it and now off to pump some more dregs out of the well.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Bear

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »

I have thought about this often, going off grid how would I get water. The dehumidifier was the answer, after all isn't it just a water condenser?
This also is a great way to keep from boiling in the summer heat, as when there is less moisture in the air you won't feel so hot.

Have you thought of using the water waste pipe from a central heating condenser boiler? You could run the pipe directly into a tank in the garden. You could run a small bore pipe up to the loft where you have a small header tank that supplies the loo.
Excess solar power could be used to pump the correct amount of water up to the header tank.
Iain

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:36:52 PM »

Hi
.Have you thought of using the water waste pipe from a central heating condenser boiler? You could run the pipe directly into a tank in the garden.

I think I heard the condensed water is acidic from the combustion process. Worth checking.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »

Hi
.Have you thought of using the water waste pipe from a central heating condenser boiler? You could run the pipe directly into a tank in the garden.

I think I heard the condensed water is acidic from the combustion process. Worth checking.

Iain
There was considerable concern in the run-up to RHI about the condensate from the Grant biomass boiler, and it was initially excluded from the scheme because of its non-bio credentials... it was eventually allowed in. I have one, so was interested, to say the least. The gulley taking the discharge has a flourishing dock growing in it 'hydroponically' as I speak...
Chas
heatherhopper

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »

Have you thought of using the water waste pipe from a central heating condenser boiler? You could run the pipe directly into a tank in the garden. You could run a small bore pipe up to the loft where you have a small header tank that supplies the loo.
No condensing boiler here and no tanks in the loft! If the water is suitable a good little idea for standard fitting in suburbia though.
Grey water recycle is normal practice for us in summer, mostly for the garden but repurposed as required and distributed by little 12v pumps and old car batteries recharged from renewables. None of this is being obsessively green - just necessity.
Yesterday's promised "torrential downpours" gave us 2mm which means our supply flow has been raised from the odd droplet to trickle Smiley We did get some rare lightning which quite frankly we could well do without sh*tfan
The joys of living off-grid - always too much of something and too little of something else!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: