navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best wood worktop (species) variety for high heat conservatory!?  (Read 2001 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: May 27, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »

When we say high, it can get up past 40c , might shade roof with solar / navi lightweight solar thermal modules soon, but first....

Why wood? ...laminate with lots of chemicals in the cheap board I'd prefer to leave behind.

The idea of block strips appeals as does bamboo both for reasons of refuse, bamboo fast growing, block strips can have been made from larger offcuts etc..

Needs to deal with plants on top (on trays) & therefore spillage.

Any recommendations / pointers please?

Cheers folks.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Tesla 3 owner,..soon (missus bought it on the sly) MARITAL STRIFE
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
Warble

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 04:23:04 PM »

Iroko used to be the usual choice but it isn't sustainable. Strip fabricated worktops are likely to contain UF glues so are no better than laminated boards from that point of view.

How about polished concrete?
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »

Any timber you choose will shrink a bit especially if new, but if you keep it oiler regularly it will be fine provided you are happy with a slightly rough and ready look. If you want a rustic pine look for the conservatory you could get some reclimed joists, say 7 or 8 by 2s and get them ripped down to one inch thick, or not if you want a heavy looking worktop and glue and screw them onto cross battens to the width you want. The older the timber the better quality it will be, then using a hired floor sander, or a belt sander at a pinch, clean it up and oil it. I have built rustic kitchen units like this and it looks great, cheap too.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Sean

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »

Old scaf boards
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:13:29 PM by Sean » Logged
Westie

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »

Iroko used to be the usual choice but it isn't sustainable. Strip fabricated worktops are likely to contain UF glues so are no better than laminated boards from that point of view.

How about polished concrete?

Iroko is defo  the ideal choice,  you could look around for salvaged lab worktops from schools etc, they are uaually Iroko, you can refurb them.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Reclaimed-Iroko-School-Science-Lab-Worktops-Tables-Full-of-Character-/132202896088?hash=item1ec7e81ad8:g:cxcAAOSwIaFZJX~6

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:49:45 PM by Westie » Logged

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
MR GUS

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:37:47 PM »

Cheers, will measure up & chew that info over.👌

Noli Timere Messorem
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 09:28:35 AM »

One of the nicest timbers that I worked with recently, ( 5 years ago)
            Is Oregon Pine. You can get it at the saw mills and they cut it as wide and thick as you like it, You need to pick the grains and make sure that it is well seasoned,
  The only problem with such beautiful timbers, or any timber, is that a hot pan or pot means disaster.
Paul did a concrete worktop in his new house and I think GM did something similar., Me,? I just stick with the old 40mm run of the mill and keep a spare couple of meters in the shed. I have already changed the worktops in our mini kitchen upstairs 3 times, Accident do happen and nothing lasts forever,,apart from concrete but do you want to be stuck with the same old thing,,especially if you see some nice new gear going at the right money. Grin. I have been known to go to B n Q looking for door locks and coming home with 3 lengths of worktops instead. Roll Eyes
                                                                                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
MR GUS

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »

Cheers biff, I'll see if some Dougy for is available from my wood merchant.

Next question, wood oil ? ...i do need some food grade mineral oil for my berkel, its horrendously priced tho, (in small qtys) ..I also need to redo a salvaged pine table that's started cracking, get the same stuff or something else?

Gutted to think that block strip is just as chemically loaded as cheap board though, sadly iroko off menu, need to bash this out asap, too many jobs piling up!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:15:29 AM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: