navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B&Q ...only 2 non glyphosate Weedkiller's in entire store  (Read 414 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: May 30, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »

vomit2

I needed to order a few bits to make a start on plans for gardens / access etc.
Whilst looking at a very modestly priced  grinder I noted a clearance on many Weedkiller's etc.

Not clear on their website what's glyphosate & what's not.

So rang store, ..here's the rub, out of hundreds of lawn products they were either Monsanto owned or Monsanto agreed distribution (the miracle grow company / Scotts).

2 non glyphosate products out of all that, which still "linked" with Monsanto.

Farcical, hardly giving choice when dominated by very dubious companies!

Need some decent deep root killing alternatives (brambles) if you can suggest something effective I can buy to put down this summer whilst cutting back to roots.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Tinbum

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »

Need some decent deep root killing alternatives (brambles) if you can suggest something effective I can buy to put down this summer whilst cutting back to roots.

SBK for domestic use, Kaskara for professional use, some sites say withdrawn but others say available.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:49:34 PM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
MR GUS

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »

Thanks tinbum, I'll do a search.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
supremetwo

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »

Need some decent deep root killing alternatives (brambles).

Brambles do not need deep root killing.

I used a bladed strimmer to initially cut down to a foot or so, though if it's not too dense a lopper does not take too long and you can cut into barrow-sized lengths as you go along.

After cutting down, locate and remove the crowns with any growing buds. These buds will generally be up to 2in below the soil surface.

The deeper bare underground roots will not re-shoot.

You will still need to look out for new seedlings for a few years.

MR GUS

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 02:39:53 AM »

I'd Norma!ly agree with that statement, however after digging out same root in a set area it made little difference each year in the past, superstrong rootballs that seem to defy the odds & now they've beaten me with their tenacity & ability to send me back inside with sciatica.

I curse the vicar who landscaped it so badly & laid gravel to soil.

Noli Timere Messorem
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: