navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What mains cable?  (Read 885 times)
Bear

« on: June 07, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »

Hi, I'm almost ready to wire up the inverter to the mains, what cable do I use?
At the moment I have a 1.1kw system but would like to double that in future. So a single 2.5mm or 4mm cable?

I have the inverter in my garage, so 12 meters of cable will be open to the elements, as it has to go on a wall across the yard.
Do I have to duct it, or get armored or outdoors cable?   

Thanks for any advice.
Iain

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 07:00:38 PM »

Hi
I would be tempted to use 4mm SWA cable. CSA will be more than adequate, SWA and can be clipped directly to a wall safely. Just make sure it is correctly glanded at each end.

Iain

1.98kWp PV  (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
http://www.bdpv.com/fiche_utilisateur_en.php?util=iain
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?plant=cba8d47f-bf09-4533-a105-4303b353f20f&splang=en-US
Sean

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »

Don't forget to run some datacoms cable for logging/remote display/remote access
Bear

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »

Don't forget to run some datacoms cable for logging/remote display/remote access

Humm, will I need that? I have a new electric meter to see how much has been produced. 

Sean

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »

Humm, will I need that? I have a new electric meter to see how much has been produced. 

If your new meter provides all the info your require, then probably not - but you'd be surprised how interesting looking back at last year's minute by minute generation, string voltage, temperature, etc etc etc can be - all accessible from anywhere with an internet connection.

https://pvoutput.org/help.html
JohnS

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 04:18:00 AM »

Use SWA.  It will stop any one accidentally spuring off it in the future.  As said, 4mm will be adequate.  Always good to slightly oversize as it lessens voltage drop and takes into account long periods of use whereas circuits/ wiring regulations often rely on some diversity to save on over sizing.

2.1kWp solar PV
gnarly

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »

If you are putting in a new SWA run to the garage then well worth making it 6mm2 which will handle EV charging in future (32A or 7.4 kW)
Bear

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 01:44:13 PM »

Thanks all for the help.

EV? Electric vehicle?

I knew there was something I wanted to ask, the SWA, 3 core or 2 core using the amour as an earth?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:56:20 PM by Bear » Logged
sam_cat

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »

4mm SWA Twin and earth. The shield gets connected to earth AS WELL at the consumer unit end.
If you do the run/mounting it etc get a sparky in to do final connection and sign off (as its a new circuit). Might be worth getting a friendly sparky in before you start so they can do their sums on cable sizes... last thing you want is to drag 4mm and for them to say 'it should be 6mm to satisfy the cable derating'....
(its what I did, sparky specced it, I pulled cable, mounted consumer unit in garage, created a ring of sockets and a radial of lights and sparky did final hook up and signed it all off. He complemented me on how neatly the job was done!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:26:33 PM by sam_cat » Logged
Bear

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 03:22:59 PM »

Yup, I thought as much, 2 core was a bit cheaper which is why I asked.

Cheers.
Bear

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »

Hi, I have decided to go with the 6mm cable.
Before I buy I'd like to make sure I'm buying the correct item; would this cable be ok for the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-mm-6943X-3-core-3-x-6-mm-SWA-steel-wire-armoured-cable-BASEC-25m-GRN-YEL/322139865280?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Thanks for your help.
gnarly

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »

Yes that's a good choice!  Be aware an electricitian needs to sign off the trench depth but you can dig it
Bear

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 05:29:33 PM »

I can't have a trench as a sewer pipe runs from left to right across the yard.
So it will have to be clipped on to a wall that runs to the garage.

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: