navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solid portable tyre pump needed (recommendations)?  (Read 517 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: June 11, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »

Our first Ring unit lasted 3 years before the diaphragm blew, second ring unit now struggling as it approaches its 3rd year.

Which means that we've spent 40 odd Quid's worth on plastic & metal for about 20 of use at our convenience at home.

Looking for a good unit (that go's in boot) which will prove durable (unlike the ring brand).
I realise it means spending more, but the longevity of the award winning Ring automotive compressor digital unit just takes the p*** where poor design & landfill is concerned.

Regular car tyre capability through to bigger vehicles.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »

I remember getting through cheapo foot pumps at one per year before mechanical failure. I asked a petrolhead at work about which pump would be durable and he recommended the Halfords brass pump. That was great advice as it is going strong after 12 years. The problem is that they no longer stock it.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
titan

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:34:52 AM »

I have used a bike track pump for 30+ years no electricity required
Bodidly

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »

Gave up on foot pumps years ago and also use a bike track pump. Think it's a Blackburn and came with a lifetime warranty! 
MR GUS

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »

Its for our little car, used weekly so needs to be a CIG lighter 12v  unit. Alloys are degrading & so frequent top ups needed where they are pinching.

Yet to try cheap alloy repair option, still need a pump for general use.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
DaveF

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »

Hi Gus,

There's a product called Tyre Slime which I've heard of but never used.

It's designed to remain inside the tyre and seal any leaks as they appear. Know of farmers using it on Agri machines with rusty/leaky rim seals during busy periods as a quick fix during busy periods and then never getting anything further done.

Not going to help with the pump issue and the big problem with this is, to use it on a tyre-you first have to let ALL the air out and remove the valve to pour it in. A new pump will still be required but maybe it will have less work to do!

Regards,

DaveF
MR GUS

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »

Thanks, I never knew tyre slime stayed viscose, always thought it was a valve killer, I'm behind the times! (Will speak to garage).

My garage guy mentioned this morning that the little emergency inflators coming with modern cars often instead of a spare were quite good, however he also mentioned that the replacement cost of one as around the 300 mark!  bike

The rim "scrape thing" is worth a punt at around 25 but still can't beat the ability to air up on the fly, alloys are 13 yes old 6 starting to show age.

Noli Timere Messorem
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: