navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any DIY Solar without scaffolding or working at height?  (Read 1192 times)
monster

« on: June 16, 2017, 01:07:07 PM »

Hi

since the price of the pannels is so low now, its the cost of installation that makes solar expensive.
I could do most of the work my self but i don't have scaffolding and don't want to climb my roof.
Is there an easy way of hoisting pannels on to the roof with ropes over the house and working in the loft?

JohnS

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »

Prior to PV, Navitron supplied solar thermal tubes and kit.  These could be and often were fitted 'DIY'.  If you search posts from around 2007-2010, I am sure that you might find answers.  Look in solar thermal or show us yours.

Personally, I very much doubt that an installation could be done solely from the loft.

2.1kWp solar PV
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:25:05 PM »

I suspect you can get access to the roof by making a hole in it and rectify afterwards. I think they used to do roofs like that in the old days.  However you do have to fit brackets to the roof etc and this would entail you walking around on the roof !

Ken
djh

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:27:50 PM »

You can also mount panels on the walls instead of the roof, though they'll be less efficient. Or on shed or garage roofs or freestanding. But to put them on your roof, it'd be best to find somebody who is comfortable with working at height and walking on your roof.

Cheers, Dave
jonesy

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »

Also bare in mind that all professional solar installations have a structural assessment of the roof. IIRC most roofs are made safe by doubling up the existing rafters. My 1kW of panels weighed in at 120kg, plus the rails etc.
Get a quote for scaffolding.   It isn't that expensive and I'd still recommend getting a fall arrest harness with a temporary lash to, say, a brick chimney. But the bottom line is only do something if you have adequate skills and experience.   A roofer friend fell 3m off his own roof and died within the week. Sometimes things are expensive because they are involved, not just because of absurd margins eg certain tech firms.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »

It just ain't worth it, if you shop around you can get a one lift scaffold across one side of the house for about 400 quid, it will save you more than that in time alone.

Desp

Crazy old duffer
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »

Yup, buy some for outside work, sell it onwards to like minded individuals.

It would also make the lifting of panels easier, compared to two blokes walking it up to the roof suspended between two ladders, minimal risk.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: