navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hybrids  (Read 575 times)
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« on: June 17, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »

It's the 24 hrs du Mans on at the moment. Toyota are running hybrids and hopefully the racing experience and technology will continue to improve the road cars. (Live on various sports channels).

Of course it'll work. (I hope).
dan_b

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:26:46 PM »

Pretty sure that all the LMP1 cars are hybrids of some sort - Audi won Le Mans for about 5 years straight with their diesel hybrid (although they withdrew from endurance car racing at the end of last season), and Porsche won last year with something similar?  Essentially the energy recovery permits more power on acceleration, and improves overall fuel economy so fewer pit stops. 

I think there are plans to change the rules for LMP cars from 2020 such that they will be required to run a certain distance of the race on pure electric only - so they're looking starting to look at ways of permitting rapid battery charging during pit stops for tyres/driver changes.  I would have thought charging the EV batteries at 300kW whilst re-fuelling at the same time would be rather too much of a fire hazard?!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
bxman

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 12:43:09 PM »

http://www.porsche.com/specials/en/uk/lemans/live/

before 1400 BST on 18th June
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:18:32 PM by bxman » Logged
dan_b

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »

So the Porsche 919 has a 2litre petrol motor producing 500BHP driving the rear wheels, and a >400BHP electric motor, charged by KERS, driving the front wheels.

4kW PowerVault Battery
TheFairway

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »

The 2012 LeMans winning Audi R18 e-tron Quattro used the Williams flywheel system as its accumulator although i dont think that this was still used at the end of the R18's reign. Iirc t was removed due to regulations rather than bettered by battery. I think some of the London buses use a variation of that technology but i guess battery technology has surpassed it now. Iirc Wiliams sold off that part of the group once it was clear that it was not going to be the way forward in Formula One but may be wrong. Williams ended up supplying the battery for Formula-E.

The R18 was iconic vehicle that helped show the benefits of hybrid energy at one of the pinnacles of motorsport.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:31:40 PM by TheFairway » Logged

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my employer, clients or partners.

Westie

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »

Supercaps and hybrids are well matched and may hit the road shortly.

BMW and Toyota will manufacture the Z4 and Supra on the same line, at a combined volume of up to 60,000 vehicles per annum. Both are all-wheel drive hybrids, with a BMW petrol engine and electric motors. Energy should be stored in supercapacitors. A seven-year lifecycle is expected, with the cars due for release during 2018.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-toyota-supra-spy-pics-specs-and-launch-date

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »

Holy mackerel! I had a look at the link on the above site to the Yaris hybrid. The wealthier yaris buyer will opt for the 415 BHP version because they can afford it. I will head for the nearest air-raid shelter.  facepalm The gutter-press will have a field-day with this one:
"Shock Horror as Green car kills unwary pensioner". facepalm

Of course it'll work. (I hope).
TheFairway

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »

Even though every Le Mans since 2012 has been won by a hybrid, Toyota are questioning the suitability of hybrid technology in endurance racing as extreme as Le Mans.

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my employer, clients or partners.

dan_b

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:29 PM »

What a strange article. Their first repair was a clutch failure, so presumably not related to the hybrid at all?  As noted, every LMP1 victory since 2012 has been a hybrid
Major mechanical issues are part and parcel of racing, and indeed even more so in WEC where it's possible/necessary to fix the thing and get back out, unlike in F1.

4kW PowerVault Battery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: