navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: white matt emulsion for walls and ceilings  (Read 460 times)
going green

« on: June 18, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »

i made a big mistake yesterday and bought 10L of crown from screwfix it is like water looks thick but very poor coverage

avoid with a barge pole it is going back for a refund http://www.screwfix.com/p/crown-emulsion-matt-pure-brilliant-white-10ltr/17244

any advice so many on the market good and bad reviews

Mr G
M

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:21:55 PM »

Dulux isn't cheap but it seems to do the job well and probably one coat. I did try a kitchen/bathroom paint of theirs that's supposed to be better for mould etc, but three coats of painting 'glue' and you could still see through it, so that went back and swopped for Once. Apart from that one bad experience, they've been OK. My other main disaster was also Crown in the conservatory, so thin I couldn't use paint pads as it would dry faster than I could put it up leaving lines at the joins, so I had to slap it on thick with a brush, but it never looked good, and has recently been painted over ..... with a Dulux paint.

Unless you like their paint avoid the Dulux decorator centre's, they say they price match, but they cost about twice as much, and as they use a different base, they don't price match against the shops, just the other 'also expensive' trade centres.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Bodidly

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:38:12 PM »

i made a big mistake yesterday and bought 10L of crown from screwfix it is like water looks thick but very poor coverage

avoid with a barge pole it is going back for a refund http://www.screwfix.com/p/crown-emulsion-matt-pure-brilliant-white-10ltr/17244

any advice so many on the market good and bad reviews

Mr G

I made the mistake once of buying Crown instead of Dulux Trade. Not one I will make again.
going green

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:13:34 PM »

gave it a good mix up thought this is nice and thick covered like water  fume

will pick some dulux up tomorrow
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »

Another vote for Dulux here, don't bother with kitchen and bathroom either just get some vinyl silk mixed up at about half the price for basically the same stuff.
Akzo-Nobel isn't bad either or at a pinch Leyland trade.

Desp

Crazy old duffer
snyggapa

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »

I'm a big fan of clay paint - earthborn clay paint in the whole of our house. Not really washable, but goes on beautifully and looks stunning with a very flat matt finish.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »

Found Lidl ok when in stock, never found a good paint in France.
smegal

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »

The house that I've just moved in to was painted with Crown trade paint. I got a part tin off the builders for touching up moving scuffss. I actually found it to be pretty decent.

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
djh

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »

I'm a big fan of clay paint - earthborn clay paint in the whole of our house. Not really washable, but goes on beautifully and looks stunning with a very flat matt finish.

Ditto. Brilliant stuff. We also used Dulux Trade Supermatt for the first coat where the substrate was gypsum, since it's cheaper but also highly breathable.

Coverage of both is very good. We had loads of the Earthborn left over; all sold now.

akzo-nobel makes dulux, BTW.

Cheers, Dave
M

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »

Another vote for Dulux here, don't bother with kitchen and bathroom either just get some vinyl silk mixed up at about half the price for basically the same stuff.
Akzo-Nobel isn't bad either or at a pinch Leyland trade.

Desp

As an aside, I've found that 'The Range' often seems to sell Leyland masonary paint at cheap prices (perhaps £10 for 5lts white/coloured) really good stuff for slapping on shed and block walls, nice to use too.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
djh

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »

Coverage of both is very good.

Actually, I should qualify this. Coverage of the background plaster is very good, but we found that any pencil marks on the wall came through repeated coats of the clay paint.

Cheers, Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: