navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electricity tariffs  (Read 1754 times)
smegal

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »

"best electricity tariff out there" Ecotricity IME.

No not the cheapest but you are supporting renewable energy with no profiteering from shareholders. Not heard much wrong with Good energy either.

It is a Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum after all so these must be the "best"  Wink

Dale vince gives ma a migraine. I really couldn't support Ecotricity if there was an alternative.

OVO Energy were good.

When you’re thirsty, it’s too late to dig a well. - Unknown
RIT

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »

no profiteering from shareholders.

Well Ecotricity is a private company with shareholders and Good Energy is a public company with shareholders, so there's no guarantee there's no profiteering, although both seem to be fairly well-behaved.

FWIW, I'm with Good Energy.

Hmm got the information from here but guess selling bonds is much the same.

"Our Model:

We operate a unique model. We use our customers’ energy bills to fund the building of new sources of  Green Energy. We like to refer to this as turning ‘Bills into Mills’ – energy bills into windmills. We’re a not-for-dividend company – our profits go back into our mission.
With no shareholders to answer to we’re free to dedicate ourselves to the task of building new sources of Green Energy. And that’s what we do, on average spending more per customer each year on new sources of Green Energy than any other energy company in Britain - bar none. And we share the benefits of our work through our ecobonds – giving people the chance to share the financial benefits of the Green Energy revolution.
"

Well all businesses need to raise capital from someone if they wish to invest and those people normally want a return on their investment. Its rather hard to grow a company quickly if all you can do is re-invest the profits as they come in. In today's world its normal to have to make very large capital investments before you can generate a revenue stream and so profits.

The only thing that makes Ecotricity different to most companies is its "not-for-dividend company" claim, but why pay dividends (and so possible personal tax) if as the major shareholder/owner you can have the company purchase your local football club as an asset and make you multi-million pound interest-free loans.

Ecotricity is a well run private business, not a charity. It is just that the owner has a much wider view than the level of dividends he can extract at the end of the year, which is a step up from other players in the market.

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Tinbum

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »

OVO were good when they first started. As soon as they got all the publicity, when the big 4 were up before parliament, they increased their rates to nearly that of the big 4 and still criticized them. banghead

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
smegal

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 07:02:09 PM »

OVO were good when they first started. As soon as they got all the publicity, when the big 4 were up before parliament, they increased their rates to nearly that of the big 4 and still criticized them. banghead

Admittedly we have left them after they hiked their prices.

dimengineer

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 10:11:50 PM »

Pure Planet appear to have a standing charge (Membership) of £120 per year per fuel. Which seems a lot. I'm with Coop energy which has a standing charge of about 17p/day, or £60 per year per fuel. Gas is 9.06p/kWh and electric 2.79. That was a fix last year until end 2017.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Tinbum

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 10:58:21 PM »

Gas is 9.06p/kWh and electric 2.79. 

I just have electric so if that's the rate I'm moving now. (Think that should be the other way round) Cheesy Still not a bad rate though.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
smegal

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 11:26:32 PM »

Pure Planet appear to have a standing charge (Membership) of £120 per year per fuel. Which seems a lot. I'm with Coop energy which has a standing charge of about 17p/day, or £60 per year per fuel. Gas is 9.06p/kWh and electric 2.79. That was a fix last year until end 2017.

You've done well there.

None of the prices they currently offer (that I randomly checked) come anywhere close to that.

linesrg

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 07:30:29 AM »

Good Morning All,

I'm currently with Bulb and their prices are near identical to those which Pure Planet are currently offering.

Regards

Richard
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:39:11 AM by linesrg » Logged

16off BP380 on a Lorentz tracker/SMA SB2500, 16off Chinese 80W/SMA SB1700, 16off BP380/SMA SB2500. CTC GSi 12 heat pump/Glenhill ASL0085 300litre EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels, an Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090 (+ planned 7off 235W panels).
dimengineer

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 09:38:23 PM »

Gas is 9.06p/kWh and electric 2.79. 

I just have electric so if that's the rate I'm moving now. (Think that should be the other way round) Cheesy Still not a bad rate though.

ooops  Embarrassed

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 08:16:19 AM »

Thanks for the steers. EDF, having deliberately underestimated my usage in order to present an attractive renew proposal, are on the way out.

Chas
gb484

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »

IRESA: not open for business? http://www.iresa.co.uk/not-taking-new-orders/
gb484

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »

Am looking at oneselect: Electricity 13.629 day units, 7.329 night, standing charge 19.05 per day, £30 dual fuel discount. Gas: 2.9505, standing charge per day 19.05, £30 dual fuel discount.
dan_b

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »

I switched to Iresa 2 months ago- given the way their online billing system and customer service telephone line is barely functional at the moment and they've not yet accepted any of my gas meter readings, I'd say they might be having "growing pains".

IRESA: not open for business? http://www.iresa.co.uk/not-taking-new-orders/

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
charles

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »

"Ebico recently unteamed with SSE and teamed up with Robin Hood Energy"

That's good to hear. I was with Ebico but left them because they farmed service out to SSE who were cr*p. Perhaps I should look again.

I had no end of trouble with sse, i would advise anyone to stay clear of them!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: