navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass fibre / fibreglass loft insulation  (Read 951 times)
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« on: June 22, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »

Since passing the age of sixty, I have taken numerous calls about insulation.
The latest, this afternoon, was from a very nice lady. She had my name, address and ex directory phone number. She was calling from the 'government approved energy efficiency council' and gave me the following lines:

'Fibreglass loft insulation was invented in 1947 and the chances are that because you live in an old house you have it in your roof. It is now obsolete and inefficient, so the government are advising people to have it replaced with new modern insulation.'
 Me: 'I had a new roof fully fitted 4 years ago with a lot of fibreglass insulation and a 25 year guarantee. It works perfectly well thankyou.'
 'Oh, (says she), they are still doing that are they? Our surveyor will inspect your roof at no charge to yourself and arrange to have it all removed and replaced with the correct modern materials.'
 Me: 'Why are all the DIY stores still selling fibreglass insulation then?'
Her: 'They are only using up old stock before the new law comes in...'

Did I miss something somewhere?

Of course it'll work. (I hope).
supremetwo

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »

Did you find out that they were wanting to spray the inside of your roof with foam?

Could even be the stuff that might produce cyanide gas when burned?

marshman

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »

Since passing the age of sixty, I have taken numerous calls about insulation.
The latest, this afternoon, was from a very nice lady. She had my name, address and ex directory phone number. She was calling from the 'government approved energy efficiency council' and gave me the following lines:

'Fibreglass loft insulation was invented in 1947 and the chances are that because you live in an old house you have it in your roof. It is now obsolete and inefficient, so the government are advising people to have it replaced with new modern insulation.'
 Me: 'I had a new roof fully fitted 4 years ago with a lot of fibreglass insulation and a 25 year guarantee. It works perfectly well thankyou.'
 'Oh, (says she), they are still doing that are they? Our surveyor will inspect your roof at no charge to yourself and arrange to have it all removed and replaced with the correct modern materials.'
 Me: 'Why are all the DIY stores still selling fibreglass insulation then?'
Her: 'They are only using up old stock before the new law comes in...'

No, its another high pressure sales scam.  Frighten you into thinking you have dangerous and illegal insulation that will make you and your family ill or worse then charge you a fortune to get it all removed then totally muck up you roof by spraying with a "breathable insulating foam".  Don't even think about it. It seals off all of the natural loft ventilation and cause all sorts of problems and will be nearly impossible to remove. Lots of cases in the USA of home owners being conned. I have had several of these and if I am feeling charitable I just say "I assume it is a spray foam in which case not interested" or simply put the phone down.

Add it to the list of :

Calling on behalf of the MCS database......................
Have you ever had a loan?
We have been asked by the government to test your PV as its not very efficient..............
Hello I am calling from the office of the internet ........
Hello Microsoft here, we can see there is a problem with your computer .........  (that's clever its turned off!)
We are calling about your car accident ..................  (really, I've never had one!)

etc.. etc....

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:09:34 AM »

Nowt wrong with fibreglass or rockwool. Another wretched con doing the rounds. Wonder how they got your exdirectory phone number.
Nickel2

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »

Possibly from very early records before going ExD. Although I maintain the landline, I haven't used it for many years. TPS should be preventing this sort of thing. I noticed a similar rash of calls when I turned 50, and a whole rake of age-related junk-mail at the same time.

charles

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »

crafty sales pitch, many people still use fibreglass for insulation! cheeky buggers!
skyewright

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 05:11:19 PM »

TPS should be preventing this sort of thing.
AIUI callers are supposed to check their lists against the TPS lists & not call number that are signed up.

It seems likely than callers using the tactics you describe may not be bothering with those checks...

How could TPS actively prevent someone calling your number?

Did you get the caller's details & report them to the TPS?

https://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/consumer

Even then, there seem to be many callers who use the loophole that "doing a survey" isn't "selling" and so isn't covered by TPS,

The route we've taken is to only pick up calls from known good numbers. Numbers that have already proved themselves to be junk are blocked by a call blocker device (such calls don't even ring, but the number does appear on the calls list on our handsets) . Anyone else will find themselves hearing our answer phone message which is something like ""Hi, we are either unavailable or we don't recognise your caller ID. If you'd like to leave a message please do so after the tone. You might find that we are listening and decide to pick up. Bye."

It's a pity we need to take such measures, but it does help...

PS. I understand there is a BT exchange based service (BT Call Protect?) that could probably do the blocking, but our quaint old phone exchange can't provide it (not that that stops BT sales suggesting we sign up for it - just as they suggest we sign up for their 'Unlimited BT Broadband' even though our exchange is limited to a fixed half Meg!  fume).

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Stig

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »

I've got BT Call Protect and after logging a few numbers initially the only unsolicited calls I get are from withheld numbers - I look at the caller ID on the phone and if it's unrecognised then I let the answerphone get it (they never leave a message).  I figure that with TPS any unsolicited calls I get are from scammers so ignore them.

I've never understood why BT (and all the others) charge extra for caller ID when even the cheapest mobile contract has included it for free from day 1!  I guess it's the modern Ryan Air pricing model...
supremetwo

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »

I've never understood why BT (and all the others) charge extra for caller ID when even the cheapest mobile contract has included it for free from day 1!  I guess it's the modern Ryan Air pricing model...
Sky does not.

And free Sky 'Talk Shield' has recently been added.
You do not need a special phone for this.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-talk-shield-explained

If Sky can offer such filtering at their end, others can providers do the same.

In view of the phone-scam crime wave targeting the elderly in particular, perhaps Ofcom should insist on it.

skyewright

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »

You can get Caller ID for free from BT if you agree to stay with them for the next year (you need to renew that agreement as the anniversary approaches). It's called something like 'free BT Privacy with Caller Display' and has been available for years (but maybe one of those things that you'd only spot if you knew it was there...).

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
charles

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »

i think talktalk offer a free caller id service, you just have to activate it
Nickel2

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 10:26:56 PM »

The same lot called me again tonight on my landline. The lady sounded like she had a Liverpule accent. This time I asked her where she got my number, as I am ex-D and on the TPS list. She was very pleasant and told me that they probably got my no. from an energy-saving/insulation/PV/green-something site at some historical stage. I asked her to take me off their call list forthwith - any further calls will result in prosecution. onpatrol
'No problem sir, I'll do that straight away.'
'Thank you very much, cheerio!'
Nice lady; we'll see what happens...

Note to self: In future remember to divulge as little information as possible when making enquiries. If home phone no. is mandatory on internet form, bale-out.

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:41:05 PM »

Many e-forms so ply accept the right(ish) amount of digits, ie 10+ zero's (that's not me saying  11 zero's either you bloody pedants) 😉

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: