navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: air to water ashp  (Read 6858 times)
eabadger

« on: July 02, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »

done it got all the solar in and now fitted the cheepo heat pump.
few issues, first was the victron 3000 multiplus could not start the 1.8kw heat pump so i have had to parallel up the two victrons, not to big an issue because we now seem to have excess power every day, we were using a 3kw immersion to heat the dhw until yesterday.
configuring the multis took some time as instruction book seems to be out of date, no longer works on the dip switches, you now have to use quick ve bus configure, could i find this info anywhere?
so unit now starts and runs off grid, but kept giving me a high pressure error ee01, after playing around i found that the unit needs water pump on full power, but then had an issue that the water pump when heat pump was off kept cycling the water and dhw did not go above 44* played around with setting, one was pump control, normal or special, default was normal, nothing in manual but found with special selected it runs water pump for 30secs before and after heat mode, hot water now at 51*.
will build up control to heat second cylinder in series when first is at temp, also plan to automate run immersion at least once a week to kill the dreaded bug, may get the morningstar rd1 to automate this when been in absorption for xx time.

on the whole very happy with how it is going.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:37:58 PM by eabadger » Logged

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
eabadger

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:30:16 AM »

so far so good.
worked on timer, on at 8 off at 21:00 not sure if this is ideal yet, may be better less or more?
have plumbed in to whole house system so towel radiators can be on, got to sort the zone valves and may fit a threeway valve to ufh so i can select which heat source.
changing between winter use and summer automated and wood boiler overrules heat pump, valve for back boiler fail safe as in normally open, back boiler still fully open to heat sink radiators directly on the two floors above it.

steve

* heat pump.JPG (372.23 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 418 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »

leaves the house here, gate valves to allow me to shut down when very cold and drain, fitted auto air vent and drain on machine itself.
this area due to be boxed in with an access door.
system failed a few times on start up due to air but after a while all ok, this is on an open vented system, not sure if this is normal or they are normally pressurized? manual (joke) that came with it only shows presurised.

steve

* outlet.JPG (395.35 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 416 times.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:02:36 AM by eabadger » Logged

1kw wind turbine.
phoooby

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »

Is this one of those dream heat pumps from the well known auction site ?. I would be interested to see how you get on with it as I have seen mixed reviews on the net about them. I was thinking of getting an air to water heat pump to run the ufh in our house using overnight E7 and they seemed to crop up quite a bit and are cheap. Was thinking of using over night and use the screed as a big storage heater during the day as it takes a good 24 hours to cool down noticeably. 

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
65k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
eabadger

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »

it is indeed, only 800 when i collected, seems fine so far, we have over depth slab and do the same.
i notice bimble solar also sell them on their website.
other than terrible manual all seems fine, today out side air is 31* and 250lt of water at 52* so well chuffed but time will tell, if it turns out to be a pile of poo i will know whether to invest in a proper one, but for our dhw seems fine, plan is to put a three way valve on ufh and in autumn/spring heat floor with ashp and water with wood boiler, as we all like the fire in when the nights are longer.

i will keep updating on how it works out, good bad or ugly.
google searching on web parts of the manual shows many different brands worldwide made to same design many as swimming pool heaters, from dubai to holland and many in-between.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Tinbum

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »

i will keep updating on how it works out, good bad or ugly.
google searching on web parts of the manual shows many different brands worldwide made to same design many as swimming pool heaters, from dubai to holland and many in-between.
steve
I bought a used one, 3 years ago, and use it to heat a swimming pool and it's been great.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
phoooby

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 10:45:53 PM »

Thanks, all sounds encouraging, I will look out for any updates in the future.

Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
65k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
eabadger

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »

been very hot here today and the pump has errored and locked out a few times, but having now done the research i seem to have missed the bit that says the water flow in the cylinder coil should be reversed!!
so itt appears the too hot water is letting the heat pump get the gas too hot and shutting down, least the safty works whistlie

so tomorrow will need to do a bit of remedial work, so word of warning for others considering it, but i am sure elsewhere on the forum i could have found the info wackoold

steve

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »

done all the remedial banghead plumbing work.
working fine, but......

we have had some scorching days here and on those days the heat pump has struggled to get water past 50* if i mess with the max temp or return temp settings the unit goes in to over pressure error?
but on cooler days with default setting no issues and easily 53* at top of cylinder.
i assume the refrigerant gas doesnt like to high temp? is this odd or is my unit over gassed?

steve

1kw wind turbine.
TT

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »

Do check the parameters on the heat pump, we have one at work and the installers set the max temp to 50deg.
Also worth while adding a power meter onto the ashp circuit to work out consumption.

Iain

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:50:55 PM »

Hi

.we have had some scorching days here and on those days the heat pump has struggled to get water past 50* if i mess with the max temp or return temp settings the unit goes in to over pressure error?
but on cooler days with default setting no issues and easily 53* at top of cylinder.
i assume the refrigerant gas doesnt like to high temp? is this odd or is my unit over gassed?

steve

Do yo need it that high?
I have my cylinder set to 42 deg c
My mate has just had an air water heat pump fitted and his is set to 45 deg c, and is plenty hot enough.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
eabadger

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »

default max output temp 55* max return temp 45*
wanted to get water temp above 50* as below that it is a breeding ground for legionella?
manually run immersion once a week to 60*

steve

1kw wind turbine.
phoooby

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 09:03:20 PM »

Perhaps have the immersion set on a timer plug to heat to 60 degrees once per week (just after your normal heating cycle to minimise elec use) to tick the legionnaires box. I'm sure I have read or been told that there have been no cases of legionnaires in a domestic hot water system in the UK but better safe than sorry.

Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
65k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
TT

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 09:24:47 PM »

Legionella guidance is aimed at business premises generally where people are employed, so with a healthy turnover from hardly any outlets Imimagine a risk assessment as per L8 would see it as low risk.
I certainly don't see the point in a domestic area to heat water to then add lots of cold water to reach the optimum temperature.
eabadger

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »

automating in some way is no problem and on the cards.
from what i just re read the cases in uk are on the up, still a small percentage but rising, one ugov report suggests 6% of showers in domestic homes are showing traces!
now i normally take a dim view on health and safety, but on this one i think i will get water hot at least once a week, but we average store at 50* + now, which appears to kill the bug within two hours where as 60* is 2 mins.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/627888/Monthly_LD_Report_-_June_2017.pdf

but back to original question, why does my new heat pump appear to not like hot weather? fan too slow? it is very quite in operation, too much gas?
dont take this as a downer on the dream pump, just fiddling to get it better.
but remember the pump setting needs to be on special or all your water will keep circulating outside.

steve
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:45:20 AM by eabadger » Logged

1kw wind turbine.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: