navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The long haul to efficiency  (Read 584 times)
brackwell

« on: July 05, 2017, 04:31:50 PM »

When i moved in to this house 20+yrs ago i did not have the time for eco stuff, just mouse on the wheel.

Back then i had in one of my rooms 2x150W(2x 2250lumens)filament bulbs.   Some yrs later the rage was for cfl bulbs but the early give aways by BG etc would put you off for life.  But eventually i succumbed and bought 2x 30W Megaman CFL (2x1900 lumens) at 12 ea i think! which were in fact very comparable in every respect incl warm up but were just a little dimmer. However going from 300W to 60W !  I have always replaced the bulbs one at a time so that i had a direct comparison.

Later i decided to change the coloured round bulb lampshades which i had come to dislike with large paper ball ones which increased the light a little and to a acceptable standard.

Then along came LED but it was not until they got to 11W and 1000 lumens i thought i would give it a try but as expected it didnt quite cut it and recently it blew- long before the zillions of hours!

So this prompted me to look at the Led scene again and came across the type of bulbs where you can see the filaments in BQ.   For 12W they are rated at 1541 lumens and cost 5 ea. So fitted these and i now have brighter lights than at any time before. All lights have been 2700K colour.

And so i have gone from 300W to 24W and have brighter lights. Just amazing.

Ken
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »

yup, I marvel at it each time I pare down some wattage via led.

longevity in bulbs is sadly corrupt short sentence marketing hyperbole, ..if we (as a species) all thought a little bit harder we'd see there were many co-dependent components to stand a chance of enabling a claimed lifespan of "fumphty-fumph" years, ..but we are silly little humans who tend not to think beyond our phones on the whole aren't we!?  bike banghead

(cos marketing depts make for more interesting yet unqualified qoutes in print than the inventors / engineers of tech). 

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »

PART 2

As i am the kind of person that does not fix it if it is not broken and certainly not if the economics dont stack up at all. Bearing in mind that my gas bill was just about 250 ,incl daily charge but no DHW as that is now 100% PV. So for me to change my pilot light gas boiler for a new one was about cutting gas consumption to save the planet and future generations as economically it will never pay.  I had though been aware that the pilot light was consuming 2.5kwh/day, 912 kwh/yr, although i had mine on for only half the yr.  The legal ventilation is allowing draughts and heat loss 24/7 even when the boiler is not running and the boiler room was the hottest room -good for clothes drying.  So at least my engineering conscience was happy.

Well i am pleased to say after one year my gas usage, but not the because of standing charge, was 55% of last yrs.  What a good result !

Next step is to change to a supplier with no standing charge.  23p/day for gas and leccy = 168/yr  Looks like Solarplicity fits the bill.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:57:32 AM by brackwell » Logged
DaveF

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »

Hi Ken,

Have been looking at LED replacements for fluorescent battens for over a year now for my place of work. One UK manufacturer is offering a 1500mm LED batten that claims 7350lumen output from 65W which is a fantastic-5 year guarantee as well.

Have had one of these fitted in my office whilst leaving a 6ft fluorescent double in situ for comparison and the LED is fairly similar directly below but just doesn't spread the light out to the walls as well. Not bad considering the LED fitting is using less than half the power even before considering losses in the ballast for the traditional 'tubes'.

Regards,

DaveF
charles

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »

This is an interesting image on energy saving lighting, http://www.approvedtrader.co.uk/?T=Energy%20Saving%20Light%20Bulbs#cost worth a look. I have been using energy efficient light bulbs, is just as bright and if you shop around they are actually not much more expensive nowadays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: