navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Generation  (Read 1375 times)
sam_cat

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 02:52:23 PM »

Standard.

Any idea what work the did?
RIT

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »

Standard.

Any idea what work the did?

My bet at the moment is that the inverter was cutting out due to over generation/running temp, so they removed 2 panels from each string Smiley

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Sean

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »

My bet (assuming the inverter is correctly configured) is that the AC cable is inadequately sized, and lots of solar has been, and continues to be installed very locally - and the logs will show lots of AC over voltage errors/restarts.
Iain

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »

Hi
My bet (assuming the inverter is correctly configured) is that the AC cable is inadequately sized, and lots of solar has been, and continues to be installed very locally - and the logs will show lots of AC over voltage errors/restarts.

But both OC string voltages are low, so it must point to a problem on the roof
There might be other problems as well, but the voltages point to the roof

Iain

1.98kWp PV  (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
http://www.bdpv.com/fiche_utilisateur_en.php?util=iain
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?plant=cba8d47f-bf09-4533-a105-4303b353f20f&splang=en-US
Sean

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »

Hi

But both OC string voltages are low, so it must point to a problem on the roof
There might be other problems as well, but the voltages point to the roof

Iain

They've probably just bypassed a couple of panels.
Stugadget

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »

Sorry not that, inverter 2 metres away from incoming mains.
RIT

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2017, 12:19:15 AM »

Sorry not that, inverter 2 metres away from incoming mains.

Sean's comments are more about the external mains supply, where too many PV installations could raise the local mains voltage to the point of causing inverters to shut down. The installed inverter seems to only display an error light while the issue/error takes place so you would need to access the internal error log which needs the correct cable and software.

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Iain

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 05:59:58 AM »

Hi
I do find it strange the quite a few are saying it is an inverter fault or mains side wiring.
The first post gives OC voltages that are totally wrong for the number of panels, the OC voltages are normally taken with the wiring disconnected from the inverter. Surely the first step is to investigate the "Roof panels, connections and wiring to find out why those readings are wrong. Once that is sorted if there are further faults, i.e. Overvoltage,  they can be investigated. But from those measurements already taken, the "roof" side at least needs sortong/ investigating first

Iain

1.98kWp PV  (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
http://www.bdpv.com/fiche_utilisateur_en.php?util=iain
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?plant=cba8d47f-bf09-4533-a105-4303b353f20f&splang=en-US
Sean

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »

My crystal ball has lost interest  surrender
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: