navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photobucket rip off..(find another hosting site)  (Read 7205 times)
TT

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »

Have to agree with Sean, 15 years free service isn't bad.
Companies are in business to make money after all.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 06:14:39 PM »

Have to agree with Sean, 15 years free service isn't bad.
Companies are in business to make money after all.

But thy do make money, loads of it, and these so called free services are used to generate traffic and web presence. In a similar way I guess Navitron supply the forum to us lot for "free" because goo88le notice all the traffic we generate and so the profile goes up, it is part of Navitrons advertising spend which is fine.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Sean

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »

But thy do make money, loads of it ....

That's twice you've made that point, would you mind posting the source of your info please ?

Thanks.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »

It's pretty common knowledge that the giants like G**gle, FACEB**K , and etc make a pretty penny for their web services, and incidentally are somewhat cagey about where exactly they make their money and hence pay much less tax than maybe they ought to. stir

Photobucket are much smaller for sure but with a hundred million subscribers and a subscription tally that starts at 30 bucks a year and  up to four hundred a year you ain't gonna tell me they don't make plenty.
I don't have a problem with that, I just think it is a little miserly that they are going to do away with all free hosting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photobucket

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Sean

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »

Photobucket are much smaller for sure but with a hundred million subscribers and a subscription tally that starts at 30 bucks a year and  up to four hundred a year you ain't gonna tell me they don't make plenty.

Let's not forget that turnover is vanity, profit is sanity .......
fourfootfarm

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »

I like imgur, its not as good as it was but it still does the job

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
RIT

South West London

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »

It's pretty common knowledge that the giants like G**gle, FACEB**K , and etc make a pretty penny for their web services, and incidentally are somewhat cagey about where exactly they make their money and hence pay much less tax than maybe they ought to. stir

I don't have a problem with that, I just think it is a little miserly that they are going to do away with all free hosting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photobucket

Desp

Regardless of what the giants are doing Photobucket is a failing micro service. It does not publish much detail, but the 100M user claim is from way back and in the past they never deleted inactive accounts so the number just kept rising. There have also never declared how many of their users were using anything other than their free service.

To get an idea of just how bad the company is doing you just need to look at stats from the Alexa ranking system. As images from Photobucket were/are linked across the web the site should generate very public access history, such as the following

http://www.rank2traffic.com/photobucket.com

So with the massive growth of internet traffic over the last 8 years, Photobucket has grown from 433M sessions a month to 36M. Its worth noting that around the time of the 400M sessions per month it was sold (in a fire sale) for just $60m. the ranking table also shows the slide - from the 38th most visited site back in 2009 to the 1000th odd.

You just need to compare Photobucket to Imgur which started up about 8 years ago.

http://www.rank2traffic.com/imgur.com

It's not hard to see where Photobucket's business(and much of Flickr's) went.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »

Aye RIT,
        That is quite interesting. I note that the final graph seems family orientated with 170,000 pics/customers. Yet all this is down to management and being quick to seize the opportunity in the modern market.
The folks that paid the big money on the companies first sale never seemed to get it up and running and then along comes some other company and buys it for a song,, a 60 million song. It would be interesting again to see of the second owner who suffered a loss of 290million is still operating and wrote off that loss in it,s tax returns.None of this information is readily available but deals like that and much much bigger are going down all the time, even the most famous or infamous (,which every way you look at it) president of the US is supposed to be an expert in such financial wizardry.
  The bottom line is,,,,,One is free and the other is looking for 400.00. I am deeply in love with the first and stick out my tongue at the second,,However and however, If someone has 15 years of photographic history floating in Photobucket, I can understand the determination to justify payment but somehow, I would also find the time to download as much of the important stuff as possible before making my exit. Perhaps it is a management problem. Postimage updated their site and posted us a short explanation of what was going on in the world of copyrights etc. Thankfully, It is still free.
                                                                          Biff

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:30:48 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
RIT

South West London

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »

Aye RIT,
The folks that paid the big money on the companies first sale never seemed to get it up and running and then along comes some other company and buys it for a song,, a 60 million song.

The first purchaser was MySpace, which at the time was owned by News Corp (i.e. Murdoch and co). This in its self was a screwed up mess as they purchased MySpace in 2005 for $580M and then sold it on for around $35m in 2011 as it lost to Facebook. MySpace also shows the lack of value in quoting account numbers as they had the details of 360m accounts leaked in 2016 after a hack, so lots of accounts but limited income per account. Just before the hack MySpace and its parent company was sold for around $87m to Time Inc, reports at the time stated that the whole of the MySpace group generated  "well in excess" of $100 million in digital advertising revenue for the year.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:58:12 AM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Sean

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »

12 rounds of VC from folks convincing each other that PB is the next global cashcow can help paint a very rosy (but fake) financial picture.
Tombo

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 04:42:08 AM »

Anyone else having trouble downloading their albums from Photobucket?
I have tried with windows 7 & 10 with firefox with and without the ad blocker switched on.
Mostie

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »

and its rendered a lot of the old threads on here useless now without the pics, like Frotters for example.

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
frotter

I'm not gay or owt....

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »

Yeah this sucks balls!
I have so many pics linked to PB on here.....
Going to try and move them - not very optimistic.    fume

Frot

bike

HE WHO CONTROLS THE LARD - CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE!!   Its me, incidentally..
frotter

I'm not gay or owt....

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 12:29:17 AM »

Pfff...! started very slowly going thru my posts to change the links to me Dropbox account. Be finished around Chrimble I reckon.   tumble

bike

X

HE WHO CONTROLS THE LARD - CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE!!   Its me, incidentally..
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 06:39:36 AM »

Lord of the Lard

A real pleasure to see you ! Grin

Agree a total pain in the a*se!

There must be another way!

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: