navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zinc worktop + copper pipe = expensive battery?  (Read 719 times)
Moxi

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »

Hi acresswell

Looking at your replies its clear that SWMBO has her heart set on the zinc sink (szinc  hysteria)

If you separate the tap from the szinc  facepalm you wont have the problem, you don't have a wall to set the tap to in order to achieve the isolation BUT could you use a stone / slate / wooden Newel post set in to the floor or fixed to the floor with brackets?

The zinc metalwork could be formed around the post in an island style or formed to abut the newel post?

I think the finished item will look amazing but there is a lot of work involved and is not for the feint hearted.  Thinking on I would say to use Welsh slate (I would I live in wales  Grin) as you can use cut and dressed sections to form a boxed column with a hidden centre for the pipework.

Hope that helps with regards to inspiration?

Moxi
Pat_

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »

For the record...
Wiring regulations no longer require earth bonding of sinks. It used to be done to maintain an equipotential zone. The requirement now is to bond metal pipes where they enter the house. Connecting unnecessary earths to metal sinks is now considered to increase the danger of electric shock by providing a return path for something else live in the area (via a person touching both).
acresswell

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 10:21:29 PM »

Hi acresswell

Looking at your replies its clear that SWMBO has her heart set on the zinc sink (szinc  hysteria)

If you separate the tap from the szinc  facepalm you wont have the problem, you don't have a wall to set the tap to in order to achieve the isolation BUT could you use a stone / slate / wooden Newel post set in to the floor or fixed to the floor with brackets?

The zinc metalwork could be formed around the post in an island style or formed to abut the newel post?

I think the finished item will look amazing but there is a lot of work involved and is not for the feint hearted.  Thinking on I would say to use Welsh slate (I would I live in wales  Grin) as you can use cut and dressed sections to form a boxed column with a hidden centre for the pipework.

Hope that helps with regards to inspiration?

Moxi

Thank you - I will keep thinking!

Building a new home in North Worcestershire
 see http://ecobodger.wordpress.com
acresswell

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »

For the record...
Wiring regulations no longer require earth bonding of sinks. It used to be done to maintain an equipotential zone. The requirement now is to bond metal pipes where they enter the house. Connecting unnecessary earths to metal sinks is now considered to increase the danger of electric shock by providing a return path for something else live in the area (via a person touching both).

That's good news!  Thank you

Building a new home in North Worcestershire
 see http://ecobodger.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: