navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You may have heard about the new "flow super" (BEE Hives)  (Read 831 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: December 21, 2016, 12:03:47 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmPauAlOLKR9QZzFKn-uFw

Just whiled away 90 minutes watching & listening to his tests wth the flow super (really interesting hive that came about via an indie go-go crowd funder..

If you've thought of bee's with less faffing & disturbing then this might be the one for you!  Grin ...& your lovely bee's.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
AndrewE

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:13:23 PM »

Don't know why I have just come across this (maybe again)
Unfortunately the way most people keep their bees if you are going to spare your neighbours the nuisance of swarms (and avoid the loss of half of your workforce) you still have to do weekly inspections of the brood box.  I fear it is being sold to the beginners and wannabe beekeepers who like the idea of having a box of bees and just opening the tap once a year.

Also the little so-and-so's need to be drawing wax as part of their life-cycle and this system takes away most of the need...  As I have enough drawn honey supers now I give mine a deep box to draw for cut-comb.  It will be interesting to see whether the devotees can get most of the honey out in our climate, or whether low temperatures means it will be too viscous for the system to work....

At 406 plus VAT! for just one (UK) National super it is an outrageously expensive way of avoiding the work of extracting.  You can probably get 10 supers completed for that, with a valuable wax by-product too.
renewablejohn

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:42:56 PM »

Have been interested in this but the jury is still out in my mind. What I am waiting to see is whether it will still work only using 3 central flow frames the rest being normal then letting the hive look after itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: