navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio 4 labelled "ignorant" & "irresponsible" for giving airtime to Lord Lawson  (Read 941 times)
bxman

« on: August 11, 2017, 07:54:10 AM »

Nigel Lawson's  claims  simply Not True

Annual Global subsidies to FF  amount to   328 billion  $

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-08-10/radio-4-labelled-ignorant-and-irresponsible-for-giving-airtime-to-climate-change-sceptic-lord-lawson
dan_b

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »

I had to switch my radio off before the end of that interview Lawson was truly appalling

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Tiff

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »

Nice article in response:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-lord-lawson-inaccurate-claims-about-climate-change-bbc-radio-four
Tiff

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »

And this is an intersting read:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-north-sea-industry-cost-uk-taxpayers-396m-2016
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »

Oh Boy,!
       Lawson, Now there is a scientific study. facepalm
                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »

Agreed dreadful, ignorant and just plainly untrue.

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »

The BBC is stuck between a rock and a hard place to be fair, their remit calls for them to present both sides of any discussion whilst  as a broadcaster not giving their own opinions. It is nearly always the case that these kinds of interviews are too short to go into all the nitty-gritty of the evidence to back up each side of the arguement, thus both sides to the untrained ear sound sound equally-ish valid. Can you imagine the stink the Daily Heil would kick up if the Beeb were to tell the likes of Lawson to f**k off? as it is the beeb is under attack from all sides.

Desp
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:14:04 PM by desperate » Logged

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »

Fair point well made Desp.

Still made me splutter into my coffee.

Him not the Beeb.
pdf27

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »

Fair point well made Desp.
Still made me splutter into my coffee.
Him not the Beeb.
Would you rather they picked someone credible, or a crusty old Thatcher leftover? Lawson at least isn't going to be convincing many...
M

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »

I suppose it all comes down to balance, and depends on whether you are a news broadcaster or just entertainment.

In the US Fox News was challenged for presenting a biased opinion on AGW, as News channels must be balanced, but they won the legal argument by claiming that they aren't a News channel!

So is Radio 4 entertainment or News, or is it constrained by general BBC rules. I assume it's fairly lax, unless it can be shown to be deliberately misleading whilst using the BBC name to add credence to the claims of the individual.

Having re-read that last paragraph, I have no idea what it means, but I think I did before I got to the end ... maybe I'm possessed!  Huh

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 09:13:58 AM »

That is an excellent point pdf27,
            There are many couples in their 50s and older who will get the chance to stick their tongue out at greedy old Lawson,
  being reminded of his 15%+ interest rate hike and his helpful financial policies. I sincerely doubt that Lawson actually believes his own anti-climate change spiel.
 The old cad is just looking for some attention in his old age. If this does not work, he will probably found a charity for old "Thatcher Leftovers".
 The canny Liam Fox and the witty young Boris,can walk around with the hats , extended in their hands, wearing flipflops, sunglasses and licking ice cream.
 Boris,s face is red with excitement , "You can all forget about climate change" he quips "Climate change is the least of our worries"

Trump is bunkered down on the golf course, His little consort jammed between his knees. He is on the phone arguing with the pentagon. He had read out the correct codes.
 The fearful voice in the Pentagon is trying to get a clearer picture,",But sir,,You did say Kim Jong-un and then you said Madura"  Who, ?  Leo,,,,,,Leo who, ? Varucka,,eh?
 "Dublin" roars Trump down the line.  "Do Dublin"  . A high pitched voice squeaks back from the Pentagon,,"But sir,,what about Madura and Kim..
 "Do them all" screams Trump down the line. "Nobody loves me he mutters" as the line clicks dead.
                                                       Biff
 Ain,t it hard to get the correct balance,? We were all singing "if you are going to San-fran-cisco, you gotta wear some flowers in your hair" with tea shirts,,"Make love not war"
 Even I was dragged along for a while, even I got lucky and still smile about it.
 In a world gone mad, the playacting has to stop and the countries that vote these lunatics into power are duty bound to kick them out when they start threatening the bad news at each other. Even big business cannot show a profit from a nuclear war.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »

Hippies of the 60's now the dreadful old men.
That dreadful old gag that old age is when your broad mind and narrow waist change places! Grin
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 10:06:18 AM »

I think we all know that R4 changed for the worse when news of the screws  was dismantled. It appears that modern journalism is not so much about reporting the news, as finding ways to create controversy and argument. R4 became tabloid at that time and the archers turned into east-enders for radio.
I don't like it, but continued phoning the studios does nothing to change anything. You get what they want you to have, not what is necessarily good or true. I now have one of those remote-control buttons that switches off the mains to the radio, to prevent me from getting over-stressed.  fume
Recent figures show a rise in popularity of R4 extra, which airs programs from the era when the BBC Home Service produced some excellent output. At the moment on the radio is Saturday live. I have this on as background noise; it's a bit like being in a cafe where the hubbub makes no sense, but reminds you that you are still alive.

Of course it'll work. (I hope).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »

" When your broad mind and narrow waist change places"
   How true that is Tod,! That does sum it up. Old age really does do that. Cry Cry
                                                Biff

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »

I think we all know that R4 changed for the worse when news of the screws  was dismantled. It appears that modern journalism is not so much about reporting the news, as finding ways to create controversy and argument. R4 became tabloid at that time and the archers turned into east-enders for radio.
I don't like it, but continued phoning the studios does nothing to change anything. You get what they want you to have, not what is necessarily good or true. I now have one of those remote-control buttons that switches off the mains to the radio, to prevent me from getting over-stressed.  fume
Recent figures show a rise in popularity of R4 extra, which airs programs from the era when the BBC Home Service produced some excellent output. At the moment on the radio is Saturday live. I have this on as background noise; it's a bit like being in a cafe where the hubbub makes no sense, but reminds you that you are still alive.

Actually the BBC remit is very detailed and far reaching Nickel, they very definiteley don't  just try to create controversy and arguement, have a look at this lot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/guidelines

There are pages and pages of standards that the beeb must adhere to, unlike the commercial broadcasters. Sure they have OFFCOM or somesuch toothless regulator to keep happy but if you asked them for their code of conduct or company policies or similar I am sure they would quote commercial confidentiality or something rather than reveal anyhing like the same detail. The remit constrains the beeb to getting fools like Lawson to contribute to satisfy balance and fairness guidelines and as Mr PDF says its got to be worth a laugh to hear just how bonkers he is, we all know he is just lobbying for his mates he doesn't give a shyte about the science.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: