navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric heating mat  (Read 954 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: September 09, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »

Has anyone any views on this product?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paroli-Heating-Mat-Carpet-Electric-Underfloor-Warming-Foot-Warmer-/171803420628?var=&hash=item28004827d4
It's feeling cold when sat at the PC for a long time in the evening, this september. I don't want to put the heating on yet. It looks like the next best thing to underfloor heating. Will 100W be enough or too much! I'm sure that I've seen larger ones in area and power.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
bxman

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:46:38 AM »

Hi  Stan

you can get foot warmers for about 15 ( lidl ) about 20w the ones selling on ebay form 40 to 20

I use an angle-poise  lamp with a heat bulb for this task  ( on at moment) .

The one you ask about I am sure would be easiest and  I am sure 100w  would be adequate.
 with postage that looks way over the top to me

They do mats for reptiles with very efficient thermostats have a look at those as well .  reptile mats

cheers Patrick
knighty

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:20:30 PM »

if you're only going to use it for a few hours at a time then you're probably better off with a low power electric fan heater (or a fan-less one)

the 100watt one will need to be on for hours before it makes any difference (your computer is probably putting out more than 100watts while you sit at it)

you can get those little electric radiators which are about 1kw... ok 1kw is 10x more than the mat, but it only uses 1kw some of the time as they turn on/off to regulate the heater temperature... and you won't need it on as long as the 100watt mat

I was going to suggest you could put the mat on your seat and sit on it... that would be lovely and warm... but you'd probably just end up with a swetty arse  Sad
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:22:45 PM by knighty » Logged
spaces

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »

I just light the woodstove when it grows chilly on an evening -  it's been under 5C for a few nights here. It means dinner can be cooked without using the cooker. Paving flags or large flat stones could be used as a heat store, if insulated once warm and kept until needed. Heating them with the sun is possible but I've tried bunging some under the bonnet of the car when I've got home, it works very well so long as you remember to fetch them in.

Simplicity, the ultimate refinement
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 07:59:45 PM »

I can't believe that it's 2 years since I posted this wackoteapot. Thanks for your replies.
We've got to that stage again when it's nippy sitting still in the evening but too early to be lighting the log burner.
As Patrick suggested, I bought a giant anglepoise with infra-red bulb. Giant because it was to see my collie through his last winter nights. It's a 275W IR bulb but there's a thyristor to power down to say 50W.
I'm sat at the table now; it's shining at say 125W on my thigh and on the mat under the table. It's just like sitting in warm sunshine in the conservatory though I am wearing a fleece jacket. I laid under the table (not my normal position) and it is quite pleasant. The best thing is that it's instantaneous heat whereas an electric mat would take time to reach temperature.
Now that I have a feel for the power required, I've ordered a compact 100W IR heat lamp (with bulb) to go on the floor just beyond my toes. I'll probably screw it to a board so that it just cannot be overturned.
On another topic, Bulb is my energy supplier from today, so I can feel smug about being comfortably green.
Stan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275W-Infrared-IR-Heating-Floor-Lamp-Heat-Therapy-Muscle-Pain-Relief-Fatigue-UK-/132283118187?hash=item1eccb0326b:g:eNUAAOSwEatZg0aL
I've no connection to the company.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:19:48 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
oliver90owner

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 02:56:00 AM »

I have a pet warming plate. I don't use it for heating my feet, but it steadily warms a 25l bucket full of must (or wort).  It is for popping under a dog or cat blanket, really.

Power is 10 Watts and it basically consists of a high power resistor stuck to a aluminium sheet.  Enough for warming feet I would think.  My heated socks each run from C or D sized cells and can soon overheat my feet in most UK winter conditions.

Raising one's feet from floor level is often sufficient to stave off that cold feet feeling - away from the coolest draughts and easier blood circulation?

Running a heater with control by something like a STC 1000 controller would save some leccy and allow a comfortable temperature to be maintained (my fermentation bucket requires very little energy to maintain fermentation tempersture while under its insulating cover).

one can probably get heated slippers, these days.  The lid*l foot warmers are not good for moving around at all!

RAB
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »

The heat in this house is governed by Mrs Biff,s blanket,
                                  The chill wind that blows from the north also heats our tanks,even as the pv gets weaker and the days get shorter, So Mrs Biff,s blanket appears over her knees and then Angel somehow appears at her feet, Angel is portly and warm but room temperature is indicated by Diesel,s sleeping position. If he is sprawled out asleep on the floor, on his side ,paws stretched out in opposite directions, the room is warm, Once he starts curling up, the temperature is dropping, when his nose goes under his tail, it is freezing outside.
The large copper pipes that were installed for the Gravity heating system,,run the full length of the room and have not really come into action much yet,,Angel knows they are there and when she was getting a little hot last winter,,She learned to roll onto her back and sleep with her 4 feet in the air, occasionally rolling left or right. Diesel avoids them and likes the cooler part of the room but,,Yes  we will shortly be running our stove for longer periods, At present, i just load it occasionally around 7ish and then let it burn out. My recycled wood gives out excellent heat with minimum draught and little ash. Then our window covers are due to go up shorty as the days get dark around 6. They make a massive different, Especially the one that sits behind the front door at night. Every little counts. Grin
   The bad news guys are at it again saying that this will be a very bad winter,  They are bound to get it right sometime but hopefully ,,not this time.
                                                                        Biff
 I have shared the sites with other brickies and turned in on a Monday morning to handle bricks with a scud of ice on top, It was a necessary evil, then 40 years later share the icy morning scaffold with spliff  smoking brickies whose excuse was that it keeps the cold at bay.. I enquired if it worked,, "Oh yes they replied, You don,t feel the cold at all". In days gone by, You went like stink and blew the cold away.
  It was a revelation, to work on a site where even the boss was smoking a spliff and the whole crew were as high as kites but then, come summer, they were still drawing on their spliffs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:25:25 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »

Since my post, no less than 2 infra-red lamps have arrived. The one below is 150W and very well designed. It's a Boots product, 30 years old in VGC, 19. Well it's perfect under the table, but was too warm beneath the PC, which is in a corner and the desk has sides. So I ordered a new 100W lamp for there, 22, and that seems just right.

It is a really nice experience having warm feet. Just as it is unpleasant going to bed with cold feet, the opposite happens. This is poor man's underfloor heating. At 15p/kWh, the 100W lamp costs 1.5p/hour and gives complete satisfaction.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:07:27 PM by stannn » Logged

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »

Maybe keep the PC on the floor under the table, with a suitable duct to divert the cooling exhaust towards the toes?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »

Too fiddly N2. Nothing beats radiation for comfort. If too hot move feet.
Stan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: