navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart Meters yet again  (Read 2139 times)
azps

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »

There's a thing.. Bit like the Regional Fire service control rooms, out of date before they were commissioned, but no one had the b4lls to stop the gravy train. I guess no one wants to put their name on poo pooing smart metering as it is being pushed as flavour of the month at the moment and that would be career suicide!

Oh, don't worry, lots of people want to take a pop at smart metering,  very few of whom know much about it all.

Whereas the reality is that smart meters are essential to the future [GB] decarbonised grid (which is one of the reasons why it's so often yesterday's men who take a pop at them), they work well (though there will inevitably be cases where they don't, and there will inevitably be teething problems), they do lead to some small energy savings (which is a bonus - but not everyone will save energy); and they will reduce the occasions where people get inadvertently into huge debt on their bills.

The first pilots with smart metering and electric vehicles have happened. As have pilots with smart metering and trading of domestic generation between households. Work is in progress to get these tariffs out into the market, and I'd hope that many of the regulars here will be early adopters of them.

I'm looking forward to Ecotricity rolling out SMETS 2 meters - there's a new national trial coming up, and I am very excited to be a guinea pig in it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:08:11 AM by azps » Logged

phoooby

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 01:27:18 AM »

Seems like the first (other than E7) TOU scheme is from TIDE but it is not a whole lot better than E7 overall depending on what your usage pattern is. There needs to be some 30 or 15 min interval rate tariffs come out to make the most of smart meters. The first beneficiaries will be those with solar and batteries so the MSM will no doubt say it is a tariff for the rich but they need to make some means of gaming the system so people know how they can reduce their bill rather by simple things such as not running the tumble dryer at 5pm. I have neither solar or a battery at present but have taken the opportunity to buy appliances with timers. They are starting up now and my Ev charging is done over night. I am about to go into an E7 tariff so its all a trail run at the moment that will hopefully be cheaper in the long run.

6kw WBS, Nissan Leaf 24 (gone), Tesla Model S, Nissan env-200.
TheFairway
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 06:59:50 AM »

I wont trust smart meters until they start 'marketing' them for the real reason they are intended for - demand side response.

Well until we have a large number of meters installed and the DCC system up and running so that customers can change providers, no major provider will start the work needed to offer true demand-side pricing - or at least a more complex time based structure.

There is Green Energy UK who are doing a complex time-based structure at the moment, which depends on a smart meter.

Has a TV/Radio add ever said that smart meters will offer tarrifs that will benefit DSR? Closest I have ever seen it BG 'free' electricity tarrif, but nothing about how tarrifs may work in future. Its all about the display and making bills accurate. The real reason is hidden. Irrespective of how important that real reason is, I find it disingenuous and Im supportive once the relevent infrastructure and solutions to work with are in place, but anyone who is antiestablishment/big brother watcher is going to have a field day. The marketing should be open and honest, that will make people aware of the benefits of future proofing their appliances, which will increase demand for energy aware appliances and bring costs down and make energy saving benefits easier to realise.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: