navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lidl axe  (Read 677 times)
gb484

« on: August 29, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »

Another Lidl gem on sale this Sunday, 3rd September 2017: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=5823&ar=7. Looking closely at an enlarged image of the axe head, it appears to have shoulders that stick out, making it particularly suitable for splitting logs. I borrowed a similar axe from a friend recently to split some really big log rounds, some were over 3 feet in diameter, and have to say that it made the job so much easier. He paid around 50 for his. I cannot recommend this type of axe highly enough. Definitely worth a look. Do not be put off if the handle seems a bit short. You will be amazed at what this axe can do, but do check first that it has the shoulders I mentioned.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 05:14:03 PM »

Maybe it is a maul,
                I bought the Aldi Yellow handled version with the steep shoulders and yes, you are right, I split enough logs for 2 years with it and it is still going strong.
                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »

I recently picked up a nice wee hultafors for a song, it was cheap enough as was, but the seller (via ebay) gave me it for 17 because there was a tiny chip from the head (he didn't pack it someone else did) which was honed & polished out within a few minutes with a Lanskey honing puck

There was recently an unmissable deal for a maul in B&Q for around 6.00 ...sorry to tease those who like a deal, some folk grumbled in the past that I was linking too many deals into posts, so I rarely bother these days, even though the premise of a forum was "The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business".

Whilst a Hultafors bruks isn't a Gransfors its still pretty good & reputable, if anyone is interested in the sellers link i'll put it in if he's still operating at a good price, (mine was purchased in 2017).

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »

Gus, The Aldi Maul was almost as cheap a few years back,
                                       I still have mine,it is an excellent job,
                                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
dimengineer

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 11:51:03 AM »

There is a big difference between a felling axe, and a splitting axe (or maul). A splitting axe has a much wider angled head, and is kind of blunt, and heavier. You certainly could not chop trees down with it.

I can heartily recommend "Norwegian Wood" by Lars Mytting for more information

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 09:27:55 AM »

I still reckon my Fiskars X27 splitting axe is the one to beat. Tried most things except a Granfors and nothing is as easy except watching Beau and his magic processor.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
Bodidly

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »

I still reckon my Fiskars X27 splitting axe is the one to beat. Tried most things except a Granfors and nothing is as easy except watching Beau and his magic processor.

Yep the Fiskers is the muts nuts for splitting axes. You needing any processing done this year?

Edit.  Tried to post a link to a video but nothing appeared  Huh
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:13:34 AM by Bodidly » Logged
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »

Hi Beau, I have another big stack to work through but I'm hoping to get to that on my own now that I'm actually home permanently and, in another month, the site will be closed for the season. Mind you, never say never Smiley_

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
Bodidly

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:50:36 PM »

Hi Beau, I have another big stack to work through but I'm hoping to get to that on my own now that I'm actually home permanently and, in another month, the site will be closed for the season. Mind you, never say never Smiley_

No worries  Smiley

gb484

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »

Yes, this is the one. Not many in stock, so get a wriggle on!
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »

Ok, i'm going to see if that's in stock to me, just bought one, but yup that does have appeal.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: