navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: splitting a double static caravan for moving - any ideas?  (Read 920 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »

And if you can buy a digger, buy a good Hitachi ex60
                                So when you need to sell it, it will sell itself. Yet for saying all that. you have to justify it. Just sitting there looking at you will not do it any good. You need to have work for it. I was sad to sell mine but I had done all the work that I needed done with it and a friend some 500yards away can supply me a digger within a few hours notice.
Next to the digger, The best bang for bucks is a decent 2 ton forklift with good ground clearance. A good reliable forklift is a godsend but you need to house it inside out of the elements. One of the simplest uses for a forklift was lifting a cage tank full of water up onto a raised platform to provide gravity feed for a mobile home. Little simple things like that. Holding tree trunks while you saw the rounds and jacking the tree trunks out of a hole. Once you get to know the value of a forklift you will not be without one.
                                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
gravyminer

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »

I'll second, third and fourth that  genuflect bit like a cordless drill, tie wraps, ratchet straps, mobile phone and duct tape, once you have a digger you will wonder how you got through life without one.

Yes, my son and my daughter both seem to have realised how much is possible once you have your own digger and have one parked at theirs.

Agree with Biff on the choice of digger too !
My Hitachi EX60 has a set of lifting forks and a 'man cage'
Donated by a farming neighbour, its the bottom half of a 2000 litre bunded fuel tank with a metal frame around it that used to be lifted up on the tractor fore end loader spikes. I welded it onto a spare bucket and we have good access up to around 20 ft with all your tools  /welder / whatever you need on board.
I will never be able to sell it, unless I'm upgrading

If you own it and its raining you have the choice to stay away from the digger and you dont end up in a dreaful mess with sloppy mud everywhere.
Not so easy when you hire in as you have to keep the thing working

And getting back on topic, if Marcus already had a digger he might have built up a ramp and risked pulling those units down his ramp to a new location ......
But at 250 / day for his hired in digger and driver he probably cant justify a weeks messing around as plan b, c or d evolve....

And he might have needed a 4wd dumper  extrahappy

gravyminer
camillitech

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »

And if you can buy a digger, buy a good Hitachi ex60
                                So when you need to sell it, it will sell itself. Yet for saying all that. you have to justify it. Just sitting there looking at you will not do it any good. You need to have work for it. I was sad to sell mine but I had done all the work that I needed done with it and a friend some 500yards away can supply me a digger within a few hours notice.
Next to the digger, The best bang for bucks is a decent 2 ton forklift with good ground clearance. A good reliable forklift is a godsend but you need to house it inside out of the elements. One of the simplest uses for a forklift was lifting a cage tank full of water up onto a raised platform to provide gravity feed for a mobile home. Little simple things like that. Holding tree trunks while you saw the rounds and jacking the tree trunks out of a hole. Once you get to know the value of a forklift you will not be without one.
                                                                  Biff

Aye Biff,

I shed a tear when the forklift left our house  Cry

It was just so useful, especially with the bucket attachment.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
marcus

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 09:52:02 PM »

Actually a digger is on the wishlist - but due to limited funds I've resisted buying one as I need the money to build the house; I could DIY build - in theory, but I suspect it'll go up rather a lot quicker (weeks as opposed to years) and better if done by a professional builder - I think I've enough funds to pay a builder to get as far as putting the roof on - then do the rest myself / as funds allow. I do have an old tractor and was thinking it may well be worth buying some forks for the 3pt linkage as that's much more affordable - though not as useful as a digger would be.

Also, it's a bit 11th hour to start looking for a digger to buy now for this build - I'm wanting to start - if I can find any insulation...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: