navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Iboost on three pin plug?  (Read 2793 times)
zxcvbnm

« on: November 30, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »

Taken a rather extravagant gamble on a solar iboost+

My pre Christmas plan is to take a heavyish duty extension cable, chop it in two, and wire one end to into the iboost and the other out of the iboost giving me a plug on one end and a 3 pin socket on the other. Then put a basic 2kw heater on it, which should comfortably within safe limits and let me move it around and test the sensor range. The wiring, in the photos, looks actually rather easier than wiring a plug. Three slots marked live, neutral and earth to just screw the wires in. Same again for exit.

My only major worry is when it says it diverts up to 3kw I assume that means makes available. Revealing my lack of electrical knowledge is this right. I wouldn't want it to insist on forcing 3kw into a 2kw radiator, and while this seems unlikely I thought I should just check.

(After christmas plan probably involves an electrician adding it to the immersion heater with an extra plug socket for a secondary radiator...)

So does this sound like a reasonable idea or am I missing something? Thanks
linesrg

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »

zxcvbnm,

There doesn't appear to be a photo attached so I can't comment on the wiring aspect.

A 2kW load will only draw 2kW, the iBoost can divert up to 3kW if required so from that perspective there is no hazard.

I did something similar after I wired up my Immersun booster..............

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
paul149

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »

Huh? Confused Here....
So you end up with an extension lead with an iboost fitted inbetween the 13A Three pin Plugtop and the 13A 3 pin socket, Yes,

And you intend running a Electric Heater ( fitted with a 13A Plugtop) when your Micro generation system is producing more then you are consuming? Yes,

Not sure, but when the sensor ( CT around meter tail) detects an over production compared with import then where is the heater gonna get its supply from ie where do you 'plug' you lead/iboost in?

3.5 kWp (14 x Sanyo H250E01 + SB3000TL) 225' (SW) at 35' Pitch Lat 51.30' (Bristol) Installed cost 2.63/Wp (Nov 2011) now with solarimmersion and 250L unvented dhw (Almost Zero gas input for DHW from Apr to mid Sep)
Tinbum

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »

Sounds fine to me.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
zxcvbnm

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:19:25 PM »

Sorry for the confusion. No pictures were intended. I just meant I had looked at pictures of it online, I have not yet received the actual iboost in reality..

Paul I hope to plug the contraption into any of the regular electrical sockets in my house. So long as it is range of the wireless sensor clip.

Thank you for the reassuring comments. it sounds like I'm not being completely stupid. I will give it a go when it arrives.
JohnS

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 11:50:00 PM »

Be careful if the heater contains a electric motor fan or an electronic thermostat.  Should be ok with an old fashion electric fire with just an on/off switch.  Although having said that my good old fashion immersion heater with a bimetallic thermostat turns itself off when the HWC is hot enough and it never deploys full power,

2.1kWp solar PV
Tiff

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 01:43:56 PM »

It will work fine, I did a exactly what you are planning about 4 years ago, its been working fine. As said above ensure you only use basic heaters, anything with fan will not like it.

I bought some thick cable rather than use the cheap cable that comes with extension leads. Bought some good quality plugs from TLC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: