navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else tried "Elephant"/"Jumbo" garlic?  (Read 1799 times)
AndrewE

« on: September 10, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »

I was given a few cloves a couple of years ago, planted them too late (in the spring) and got two huge single-clove spheres, planted them again last autumn and got two whopping great bulbs of garlic this year: each one filled the palm of my hand!  I'm now considering re-sowing some cloves from them but I'm disappointed to find that they don't taste of anything...

I think I shall forget these and just carry on planting cloves from the outer ring of other varieties that work - and taste of something too.

Anyone else got experience of this?
A
Tiff

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »

I've not grown elephant garlic due to the reports of it being very mild, as you have found.

This year I grew provence wight, which I have been pleased with. Large cloves, not the strongest garlic but not a mild weekling either. A bit of high potash feed is recommended. I plant mine in November.

This is the sales blurb for them:

"An outstanding garlic variety which produces large, fat cloves, forming a bulb approaching Elephant Garlic size! Garlic 'Provence Wight' bulbs have excellent keeping qualities and store well into the New Year."

Mine did get to a very good size and probably the largest garlic I have ever grown but I wouldn't have said close to elephant garlic. Maybe mine needed a bit more feed.
oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:02:38 AM »

I am far more successful growing elephant garlic than the usual types.  Unfortunately my wife says they have little taste and does not utilise my harvests to any great extent.  I still plant some, hoping she will use more of them.  Exasperating, really!

I also have Solent Wight and Early Purple Wight for the next season.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »

Tried them whilst in Brittany, grew well but I found the flavour lacking.
AndrewE

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »

Thanks for the comments, I shall bite the bullet and invest in some good new stock.
(hiding indoors just now after changing due to being caught in a torrential shower!)
A
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »

We grew some a few years back, very successfully. They are a great conversation piece to have in the kitchen when you have visitors around, but as others have said above, their flavour is quite lacking.
snyggapa

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 01:11:35 PM »

roast the bulbs whole, that's about the only use we found for them
AndrewE

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »

Thanks for the hints, acting on them I have now found that a few cloves in the roasting tin around a chicken are quite good.  Maybe I will put a few in the garden again this autumn...

These people
http://www.simplyseed.co.uk/onion-sets-garlic-bulbs.html
say that it's not actually garlic species proper and is effectively bi-ennial.  I wonder how to get from alternate years of giant single cloves to 50% of plants that make a proper garlic bulb each year...  Maybe try to keep some cloves in sealed cold storage for 18 months?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: