navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Workshop PV  (Read 13817 times)
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« on: September 29, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »

The next-door neighbour from hell has finally moved out after making my life a misery. No more vexatious litigation! No more complaints to the council about my shed that was there before she moved in. No more stupid daughter and her coterie of cretins throwing stones at my workshop windows. No more shouting and swearing - the new folks are a polite and well mannered couple.
I've had my panels for 18 months without a permanent installation, due to the above harridan, but now they are on the workshop roof. 6 x 190W Trina mono.
Brackets cut from 50 x 50 x 8mm angle aluminium.
25mm solid spacers cut from 1" aluminium round bar.
40mm x 3mm aluminium washers cut from plate with a hole-saw.
Screw-core size hole drilled through felt and roof board into 4x2 timbers.
Hole filled with 'low modulus' silicone, a dollop under the washer, then stainless coach-screws to hold it all down. Surplus goo used to form a fillet over the washer.
Fischer new old-stock from fleabay for the extrusions and clips. All fasteners are stainless 8mm.
Some pics:

The wires from the panels go in through 40mm bath-waste pipe push-in fittings, with a squished-up length of pipe insulation stuffed in either end to keep the bugs out.
After the recent competitive conversation (ahem) about connecting panels in parallel, I opted to go with the concensus and did not fit the diodes that I had previously expounded.

Each individual panel is brought into the combiner-box, where it is fused at 1.25 x Isc, then goes via a DC breaker, (salvaged from old 3ph ups's), to the commoning blocks. (8-way plated brass earth-strips). I was going to fit suppression snubbers to the switches but decided that they would only be switching Voc - V Batt worst case, so not required. Panel 1 does not go through a breaker, as it is switched directly by the o/p switch. (only managed to find 5 breakers).

The combined outputs are then fed via a double-pole 40A dc breaker, where they leave as 16sq mm equipment-wire tails that feed to the MPPT charger panel input terminals.
The MPPT charger is an 'EpEver' 4210A set to 24v at 40A max. The output connections to the battery are 16sq mm, and feed to the battery bus via a 40A midi-fuse rated to 32V working. The battery bus is a 5-way 'Henley' block. The MPPT switched load goes via another 40A midi-fuse to a temp choc-block. The fans pull air through a duct behind the heatsink if it goes over 60c.

The Battery is connected to the bus using 50sq mm wire, with all strands connected.
I have borrowed a pair of 'Armasafe batteries' for experimentation purposes until I find something more suitable.

It all seems to work ok, Now all I have to do is find some work for it to do! UG wiring back to the house only needs terminating both ends and something connecting to it.
Preliminary tests with my dehumidifier running (300W) through a 1500W APC UPS produces very little heatsink waste.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:36:20 PM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nissan micra Spirita   (Short range)
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »

Lovely combiner box N2, I gave this much thought some years ago as purpose built ones seem to cost an 'arm and a leg'. Having far too many tasks on the 'to do list', I just use a consumer unit the wrong way round now with suitable MCB's. Methinks yours looks much more professional though  genuflect

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »

Nice N2,
         May you have many happy productive days of leisure and ease.
  Having one like that next door was no joke. It is a bit like winning the lotto to see the back of her.
                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 09:58:13 PM »

I certainly would not like to live next door to me  Grin Funny things neighbours, my sister in law 'number 1' has moved house three times during the twenty years I've known my wife and sister in law 'number 2' at least 6 times. Strange thing is they always seem to have the 'neighbour from hell' next door, methinks perhaps the problem 'lies within' as far as these two 'fruit cakes' are concerned, methinks if they lived next door to Mother Theresa they'd try her patience  hysteria

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
JohnS

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 10:56:26 PM »

Puzzling choice of colours on the connection between the two batteries.

Hope no one confuses it for a ground connection.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
Nickel2

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »

The Harpie next door is one or a pair of identical twins. The two of them were probably quite pretty in their time, and were without doubt spoiled rotten by their father/mother. My observation is that they have always had what they wanted, even if it belonged to someone else. To clarify things I was forced to redeem my mortgage to obtain the title deeds to my house. To make the point about the boundary issue to her solicitor I took a day trip, (by rail), to show him with the deeds and point out the boundary and where she had moved it against my express wish and instruction. fume
When the house appeared on the market, I called her solicitor to remind him that it is against the law to sell a property without declaring a boundary dispute.
He politely told me that he was not acting for her any more. I reckon that he realised that he was not going to make a no-win no-fee fortune out of me and told her to go elsewhere. I made a point of calling him regularly on the subject, and kept him talking as long as possible! stir
Anyway, I still have two pieces of concrete in an envelope that were thrown at my windows tucked away for reference purposes. Plus 4 crime reports for various incidents...
The last two years have been of the annus horribilis type, with 4 heart attacks and 2 major car crashes, none of which were my fault.
When you have used a lavatory and flushed it away, you only need the window open for a short while for any unpleasantness to dissipate.
I am now breathing great lungfuls of fresh air and appreciating every one. extrahappy
Just got to get the body working properly again! fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:29:30 PM by Nickel2 » Logged

EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nickel2

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 11:28:46 PM »

Ah yes, the interconnect... It was a handy bit of 16mm stranded thet I had to hand. (too lazy to get the right stuff out). The MPPT is actually positive ground, which is not such a good thing when most inverters are negative grnd.
This means that I shall not be connecting any earths to the PV system, except for the Frames on the roof, ie leave it all floating. If I accidentally forget and connect +ve grounded system to a -ve grounded system it would result in a loud blue flash, with the associated release of smoke, tears of grief, and clasping of the wallet in dismay.
So, it will all float. The AC power from the wshop to the house will be fed in as TNC, (?) unless anyone recommends differenterer.
Anyway, it's all experimental, some folk do football, I play with electricity! Tongue

EpEver 4210A at 24v
camillitech

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 04:22:43 AM »

Tis nay wonder you've had four heart attacks with that witch next door, pity her new neighbours  fingers crossed!

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 07:19:46 AM »

Wishing you well with your new start Nick.
Having experienced one bad neighbour but nothing close to your experience.
You must feel a lightness in your step now that she has gone!

Enjoying your posts.

Kidwelly South Wales
rogeriko

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 08:10:29 AM »

Do NOT put an interconnect switch like that on the batteries. When you open that switch you are disconnecting the 24v battery reference but the charge input from the MPPT controller is still connected to the load output at the battery terminals. Put a disconnect switch on the load output circuit only. Do not disconnect the MPPT controller from the batteries ever. Always disconnect the pv first.  You are only 1 second away from making an expensive mistake.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »

I once made some nasty magic smelly smoke with a supposedly bulletproof Steca, by doing exactly that Roger,,
    Its was pocket painful. It was bulletproof but not idiot proof. It is absolutely amazing the things you find out when reading the instruction after the deed is done.
   I would have loved to have learned by other,s mistakes, hysteria but ,,,,,,
                                                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »

Thanks Roger, I appreciate the potential danger to the equipment and have thought many times about a fail-safe method of sequential connect/disconnect switching. At the moment I have strategically placed warning labels to remind me the do and do-not re. powering the system up and down. As I am still experimenting, nothing is permanently wired away from the panel, so changes happen every other day. I do not touch anything electrical if alcohol has been taken. Before any critical moves, I tend to talk through out loud what I am going to do in the order required before doing it, then repeat the order as I do it. If I say something and it sounds wrong, it gives me a chance to reconsider. (Talking to oneself is viewed as strange by some folk, but it works for me!).

EpEver 4210A at 24v
eabadger

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »

in the case of morningstar the instructions dont say it, but after you ask they email a new page with it on!
even the new unit they sent from states has no mention of pv disconnect before batts.
their tech bloke said avoid fuses and disconectors if "codes" allowed.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Nickel2

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 12:53:43 PM »

For the purpose of the exercise, I only fitted the disconnect between the batteries to enable changes to be done without undoing the battery clamps each time, for instance trying alternative batteries without adding them in parallel with the armasafes. The 4210A manual does not have a breaker in the battery leads, only running through a fuse at the rating of the MPPT charger itself. When this system becomes a bit more solid and a good set of batts have been sourced and fitted, the disconnect will be removed completely from the thing.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:42:53 PM by Nickel2 » Logged

EpEver 4210A at 24v
djh

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »

"If I say something and it sounds wrong, it gives me a chance to reconsider. (Talking to oneself is viewed as strange by some folk, but it works for me!)."

We used to have a teddy bear at work. It was less strange talking to him than talking to yourself, and it's amazing how many bugs he found in our computer programs.

Cheers, Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: