navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Workshop PV  (Read 5037 times)
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »

A glorious day today, 10% cloud cover, 3*c, light wind.
I've been experimenting to see how much power I can wring from the panels. When the sun rose it topped up the battery from last night's drain.
When I rose, the battery was nearly full, so I put the PC onto the PV supply in the house. As the power increased I added the monitor (CRT) to the load. I couldn't find any easily accessible small loads to add, so went into the wshop, plugged in the oil-filled radiator, then ran back into the house to watch the MPPT control-panel readings.
To my great delight and surprise the system was producing, (as near as makes no odds), 800W! Sat and watched for a while then out to the wshop to see if anything had caught fire.
Both the MPPT and the inverter heat-sinks were only a few degrees above the room ambient temperature. Then a cloud came along and spoiled it, so I unplugged the heater, leaving just monitor and PC running. Shortly afterwards I had to go out, so the PC was left to go to sleep.
The lesson from this power-use experiment shows the system to be capable of feeding a substantial load.
The battery-bus has to be loaded sufficiently hard to drop below maximum boost voltage, but still keep it above 26V. It then presents a low enough impedance to the MPPT to operate as designed.
My power generated and used today = 1.42kWh. If I had kept running backwards and forwards, switching stuff on and off, it would have been higher.

Recently I have been adding filtering to stop radiated and conducted switching noise from the inverter causing problems. My short-wave long wire runs over the top of the wshop, so picks up all the hash from the inverter. Filtering has cut this problem to the point where I can listen to distant foreign stations with only slight interference. When I have finished designing and fitting an inductive filter to the DC input, I expect it to be all but gone.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:09:34 PM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries plus a 130 Ah starter battery and a 92 Ah yellow gel item
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nickel2

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »

Another glorious day!
Batteries fully charged after 50% DOD load-cycling exercise last night.
Outside temp no higher than 4c all day, clear blue sky.
By 11:00 the batteries were fully charged and went to float, and the GUI software showed 1 kWh generated. I applied the 400W oil-filled radiator as a load, then sat and watched the voltages stabilise. At 12:00 went outside to wshop and 'felt' the electronics. The MPPT was steady at 20c, the STI 1000 inverter was still below skin temperature.
Regular checks were carried out, then the load was increased by switching the PC and monitor on to the inv O/P, taking about 650W continuous power.
After an hour, out to the wshop. Room temp was 15c; everything was felt again. The inverter was at skin temperature, the MPPT still low, at high twenties, all the cabling and switches were at room temp, even at 25A.
Regular checks carried out until the sun went behind next door's chimney, then the load was reduced to maintain battery volts.

Some pics:

From the figures displayed in the software, currents and voltages were referenced to the manufacturers data sheet.

The voltage vs current graph showed indicated an insolation of very roughly 600W per sq metre.

When this is multiplied by 6 panels, (6.75 sq M), it gives 4500W insolation over the total area.

Divide 4500 by 600 gives 14.8% efficiency; the data sheet gives 14.9%, so panels are working up to scratch.

Tomorrow is slated to be another cold, bright day, so I expect a repeat performance.

The oil-filled radiator has proved it's worth. By being placed in the coldest easterly room downstairs, (dining room), the back of the house stayed warmer for longer, so that the boiler fired up less frequently than the day before, so lower gas use.

Total production for the day was 3.91kWh. If I keep a closer eye on the system tomorrow I may get 4kWh by juggling loads through the day.

EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries plus a 130 Ah starter battery and a 92 Ah yellow gel item
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »

fingers crossed!  A shed is a happy place,
                              A shed with PV powered tools is even better. Grin
                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 11:08:22 PM »

Biff, my shed is indeed a happy place! I had a couple of pals over swilling tea this afternoon, and they seemed to like it in the wshop. (Probably the free tea). I'm happy with it as long as it stays reliable; it is another of my toys where the money would have been better spent putting new windows in the house whistlie
Anyway, while I'm out in the workshop getting construction therapy, the house is being kept warm by the sun Grin
At the moment I'm in the process of building a pair of opposite polarity Van de Graaff generators, should be capable of making some nice big 18" sparks. (If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know what's happened, but hopefully not). 

EpEver 4210A at 24v
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 10:01:29 AM »

I am looking forward to some pics N2,
                                     My 12v battery charger plan has taken a change of direction and now sports a pair of stealth wings and a bigger more powerful lawnmower engine.( a full 101cc job) I removed the exhaust and added some Guinness to the mix. The surge in power is much more noticeable.I have painted it yellow with black stripes because I don,t want it mistaken for a drone. Soon I will soon be able to show you a pic of the ordinary original 12v charger complete with pull cord for starting and a switch for stopping.
                                           Biff

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:04:04 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »

4.080 kWh today!   Grin  extrahappy  It has been perfect; clear-blue sky and 4*c all day. Probably not much compared to the bigger systems, but for my 1.14 kW's-worth I reckon pretty good. Still a month to the spring equinox, when my panels are optimised for.

Biff, - A pic of 'The Twins' (Castor and Pollux) under construction:-

Soon my power will be complete! heh-heh-heh!

EpEver 4210A at 24v
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: