navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lime pointing and shutters  (Read 6401 times)
eabadger

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 04:47:29 PM »

close up of the "hidden" box pre pointing.

* house 2018 2.JPG (127.55 KB, 640x480 - viewed 189 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
eabadger

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 09:18:24 AM »

finally finished the back of house! been hardwork in the heat of this summer, weather took a turn end of last week and the shutters proved worthwhile,  keeps the noise of storms out and make the rooms much warmer,  not sure what heat loss on dg windows is but these seem to make a significant difference
now starting the front of house, got to be quick as cant do if chance of frost, so maybe 4 weeks?

steve

* back finished.JPG (124.77 KB, 640x480 - viewed 130 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
offthegridandy

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »

Nice work, keep it up Steve.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
eabadger

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »

thanks andy, the front looks daunting now, do think i have a chance of doing before first frosts due, but will do what i can, the cavities and be big, where i cant do properly but can see a big gap i use expanding foam, then finish with lime/sand and a rock pushed in if i can.
i think the shutters are a good idea, can understand they are not norm in uk but maybe should be on new builds.
they are really cheap!
fitted mine with motors and remote receiver that links to a hub that can control all via phone app.

steve

* starting front.JPG (72.52 KB, 640x360 - viewed 131 times.)

1kw wind turbine.
kristen

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »

i think the shutters are a good idea, can understand they are not norm in uk but maybe should be on new builds.

triple glazed (I think same/not much more than double glazed these days?) means I can't hear storms and, in my case, inside surface not more than 4C colder than room, so no thermal convection and no draughts.

But if roof-overhangs not enough to keep Summer Sun out or, in any event, for East and West windows in Summer (when sun lower, but still generating heat), shutters would keep the heat out. But in Winter I want the sun's heat on all my windows - even if it is blowing a gale Smiley
eabadger

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 07:46:17 AM »

not convinced glass no matter how many layers is as good as insulated shutters, again i know not the uk norm but maybe should be.
we paid about 120 per 1.1x1.4 double glazed hardwood windows.
shutter 69 motor 59 remote control slave unit 17 all aprox.

never seen tripple glazed over here, but shutters in mainland europe are pretty common, like you say keep us cool in summer warm in winter, when the winter sun shines we have open, we close like curtains at night or in stormy weather.
on that point our windows all open inwards, so external shutters can be reached to close and to be able to clean both sides of the glass, no window cleaners here.

will check actual heatloss this winter, which i suspect maybe a baddy

steve

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »

that wall is/was going well until weather just took a turn for worse...
but two original shutters failed this week, we put them in 8 years ago in the dog kennel windows in the roof, both made horrible noises and then stopped working, thinking the worst i today took the one to pieces in our bedroom double height area, which involved removing plaster and board, didn't think that out 8 years ago banghead
the issue? about a million ladybirds!! totally filled the tubular motor and all the runners, no idea how to stop it happening again.
now i guess the same issue in daughters bedroom....

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: