navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finland's EPR delayed again  (Read 695 times)
dan_b

« on: October 12, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »

More delays at Olkiluoto 3, they're now not expecting it to go nuclear until 2019 - a whole 10 years later than planned.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/10/opening-arevas-nuclear-power-plant-finland-delayed-yet-decade-delays-counting/

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Countrypaul

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »

Like the start of the second paragraph in that report "This means that the troubled nuclear enemy project..." - do you think the journalist is biased hysteria
dimengineer

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »

Probably realistic. The whole EPR saga to date has been an eff-up of ginormous dimensions. I hope we get some good news soon from the Chinese ones. Or Flamanville. (Me, clutch at straws? oh no no no...)

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
M

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »

I hope we get some good news soon from the Chinese ones. Or Flamanville. (Me, clutch at straws? oh no no no...)

For nuclear supporters there is some good news for Flamanville, in that it will probably start generating before 2022, in order to prevent a UK escape clause om HPC. The bad news though being, that this will require them to use the faulty reactor lid to meet the deadline.  Huh

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
dimengineer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »

I hope we get some good news soon from the Chinese ones. Or Flamanville. (Me, clutch at straws? oh no no no...)

For nuclear supporters there is some good news for Flamanville, in that it will probably start generating before 2022, in order to prevent a UK escape clause om HPC. The bad news though being, that this will require them to use the faulty reactor lid to meet the deadline.  Huh

Latest news appears to be Flamanville is going hot the end of next year, and supplying to the grid Q1/2 2019. "Faulty" reator lid is probably overstating it. AIUI it means the service life will probably be reduced from the nominal 60 years to something shorter. I'll be dead by then.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
azps

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »

Latest news appears to be Flamanville is going hot the end of next year, and supplying to the grid Q1/2 2019. "Faulty" reator lid is probably overstating it. AIUI it means the service life will probably be reduced from the nominal 60 years to something shorter. I'll be dead by then.

No, EDF is planning to replace it by 2024. Sadly, "faulty" isn't over-stating it: it's been analysed and determined to be unfit for purpose.

dimengineer

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »

No, EDF is planning to replace it by 2024. Sadly, "faulty" isn't over-stating it: it's been analysed and determined to be unfit for purpose.

But safe to operate.

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS-French-regulator-says-Flamanville-3-is-safe-to-start-29061701.html

In fact if you read it, what is says is that a couple of the areas in question cant be inspected, so the safe thing to do is to replace it. Which is a touch different to "unfit for purpose"

M

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 06:43:20 PM »

In fact if you read it, what is says is that a couple of the areas in question cant be inspected, so the safe thing to do is to replace it. Which is a touch different to "unfit for purpose"

When it comes to nuclear should we really settle for  ... "Ahhh she'll be fine"?

I often read comments from nuclear advocates saying that nuclear is only economically non-viable because of all the over-safety regulations. After all, what's the worst that can happen, Fukushima went bang with a little "b" so that's not so bad. So even when the  sh*tfan it still didn't go big "B" bang, so what's the problem, besides the $200bn clean up bill!

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
renewablejohn

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »

French Nuclear is up the creek without a paddle at the moment.

http://www.power-technology.com/news/newsedf-repairing-pumping-station-pipes-at-20-nuclear-reactors-5947373
azps

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 11:30:44 PM »

But safe to operate.

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS-French-regulator-says-Flamanville-3-is-safe-to-start-29061701.html

What it says is that it is known that the material is flawed, and prone to failure. That makes it unfit for purpose, by any sane measure. YMMV.

Philip R

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 10:37:47 PM »

Finlands EPR reactor pressure vessel forgings were sourced in the Main from Japan Steel Works in Kobe Japan. These are not a problem.

I dont know if the issue of the reactor control system and protection systems been sorted. Apparantly these were all under the control system computer, hence no diversity, redundancy, or segregation.  I heard the Finnish Nuclear regulator had reservations about this years ago, and until Areva dealt with it, the regulator would not grant an operating licence. Typical case of French shoulder shrugging. Finnish regulator is not going to be fobbed off.

Them Russians seem to be able to get their VVER PWRS working well. Selling them to Saudi Arabia last week or so.

Philip R
DonL

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »

Kobe Steel no problem?
https://www.rt.com/business/406703-kobe-steel-scandal-nuclear-industry/

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: