navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stamp duty may change to encourage people to make homes more energy efficient  (Read 526 times)
sam_cat

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »

Easy- " Houses cannot be sold unless they are EPC "C" rated or higher."    This would require places to be DG, loft and cavity insulated, and gas or HP.  People should be doing this in any case.

How would that work? In paractice?
Suppose you have a house - old, listed, that can't be brought up to C or better. What happens then? Or you just don't have the money to do the work - which is why you are selling?
They don't even do it for cars (emmissions-wise), which are much cheaper, so to propose it for houses defies belief. 

non-listed houses that cannot be brought up to C, maybe a scrappage sceme?
linesrg

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »

Reducing VAT from 20 to 5% on such home improvements would be a start............ and not forcing you to get 'approved' contractors in to do the work would be another!!!
+1 to that.
A conscientious & careful DIYer, willing to take time, study the skills needed & do it properly may well end up with a higher standard finish!

The hard bit for allowing DIY for any scheme that involves government funding, subsidy or relief would be proving the quality (or even existence?!) of the work (not that using an 'approved' contractor is a guarantee of quality in some cases...). Any 'approved' inspection scheme would be bound to add costs, maybe even enough to outweigh any benefit?

While awaiting the ideal, I'll probably just get on with our rolling programme of improvements and & when funds & time allows...

David,

Exactly what we're doing.........

As I commented elsewhere though the kitchen upgrade cost as much as the outright purchase price of my second house in 1982. The dining room is 'ongoing' as we still have to progress the cornicing but already it is noticeably 'warmer' than it was.

I'll try not to think about just how much has been spent on the property.........

Regards

Richard

16off BP380 on a Lorentz tracker/SMA SB2500, 16off Chinese 80W/SMA SB1700, 16off BP380/SMA SB2500. CTC GSi 12 heat pump/Glenhill ASL0085 300litre EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels, an Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090 (+ planned 7off 235W panels).
Barrie

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »

Could be fun applying a scrappage scheme to a terraced house....

My parents house is in a conservation area and they have been quoted 15k to replace two windows, at ninety years plus they've decided not to bother.

Milton Keynes
dimengineer

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »

Could be fun applying a scrappage scheme to a terraced house....

My parents house is in a conservation area and they have been quoted 15k to replace two windows, at ninety years plus they've decided not to bother.

One of my friends has a similar problem. He lives in a 30s semi in a conservation area (Pinner). All the houses are reasonably original, but he is NOT allowed to put in double glazing or EWI. Single skin construciton, so CWI not possible. Well, he can do double glazing, but only council approved, shockingly expensive stuff. So he's condemned to high heating bills.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: