navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rain water / mains water work around system/cistern  (Read 10190 times)
Imintheshed

« on: October 23, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »

Hi,
I wanted a solution to all those droughts we have in Plymouth   whistlie......OK......to the odd occasion, when I end up with a 1000litre ice cube in the back garden  freeze

Finally came up with this, and wanted to share. 

The top cistern is mains fed; the bottom cistern gravity fed from an IBC.  From experience, we should be able to run the WC most of the year on IBC rainwater, but should it run dry/go a bit hard, then we have a two stage flush: top to bottom, bottom to....eh....bottom (if you are still in the perched position).

The feed pipe from the mains cistern is a good 4cm above the uppermost level of the 'dirty' water so it should tick the safety box (I've read 20mm? clearance).
I have covered the lower cistern in several layers of clingfilm (with a hole punched through for the pipe) to prevent any splash back as the water drops down, and just used a bog standard holesaw cutter from a cheap 'downlight' saw kit to chop through the piece of (tastefully 'distressed') scaffold plank.

Seems to work (QED) but open to thoughts; I just need to train the family not to double flush the upper cistern before emptying the lower one!

Iain

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:19:39 PM »

Hi
I tried to keep it simple and just put 2 fill valves in my cistern. One each side.
The valves are about 2" above the water level and about 1 1/2" above the overflow.
I just have a valve on each on the inlet pipes.
Run on rainwater all the time, so far never run out but easy to open the mains supply valve if needed.

Iain

* IMG_1249.jpg (70.88 KB, 778x581 - viewed 352 times.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:27:29 PM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Imintheshed

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »

That does look very tidy.
My ceramic cistern only has one feed (drilling another sounds dubious!).  In hindsight I suppose I could have replaced it with a close coupled plastic version......assuming they are a universal fit?
Iain

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »

Hi
I drilled the hole in the top for the new flush button. It was about 15 mm thick.
I used a piece of copper tube the correct diameter, made a small dam around the site of the hole, put in some paraffin and carborundum paste, and drilled the hole. The copper picks up the grinding paste and grinds through and the paraffin/white spirit acts as a liubricant and keeps the grinding paste in suspension. Just take it slowly, keep raising the "drill" to allow the copper to keep picking up the grinding paste.. Perfect hole and very easy. Just took about 15 mins per hole. I did both cistern lids the same.

So is possible to add holes.

Iain
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:10:33 AM by Iain » Logged

JohnS

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »

You could use the overflow for the second fill and then change to a flushmaster Syphon which doubles as the overflow, directing the flow into the bowl.  It is easier to notice a small continual flow into the bowl than an overflow outside the house in many cases.
John

2.1kWp solar PV
Iain

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »

Hi

You could use the overflow for the second fill and then change to a flushmaster Syphon which doubles as the overflow, directing the flow into the bowl.  It is easier to notice a small continual flow into the bowl than an overflow outside the house in many cases.
John

That is what I did,( one similar to this)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-push-button-cable-dual-flush-valve/51173
 but I wanted the push button control on the lid, hence the hole drilling.
I used 2 of these fill valves
https://www.screwfix.com/p/side-entry-fill-valve/64191
Without the plastic tubes fitted

Worked well for about 8 years so far without problems

Iain

ASB

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »

We were lucky with our bungalow that we have two toilets; so it was easy to change one over so that it uses collected rainwater in waterbutts.

Built a stand to raise them up about a metre and put 4 100 litre water butts linked together to feed a supply to one of the toilets. The presure is low, but it does slowly fill up the cistern.

Also, have additional water butts on other downpipes and the shed, etc, so if the 4 run out, can easily top them up from the other water butts or use the other loo.

When things freeze up, we end up using the other loo for a few days until the thaw occurs.

We are on a water meter, so it certainly helps as our annual water consumption from the mains is about 20 cubic metres.

Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30 pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
+ Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: