navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How big a shaft for driving a 20kW alternator  (Read 2673 times)
longstroke

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »

It sounds like someone has previously tried to repair the coupling.

The picture makes the top of the drive pin look like a part above it was fractured off previously - can you post a close up?

Then someone has tried to make up adapter pieces to be able to reconnect to the vertical shaft above.

It would appear that you could try running the wheel as is without damaging the top of the shaft - after trying to see how good the bearing under the wheel is, which presumably incorporates a thrust bearing to support the weight of the wheel and shaft, and the reaction force due to the water.
Have you been able to turn this by hand?

This is a really exciting project - I'd personally love a place with a water turbine, or potential for!

With regards to frequency stability - what was previously done with the generated power as this will influence the possibilities?
I'm guessing this is in France, so I've no idea on the regs for connecting to the grid?
jonesy

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »

I imagined the webs on the slotted piece being on the underside. ie the flat part with the slot being the top. The circular tube being to locate the part on the lower  shaft.
Hadn't thought of that. It makes sense.

There are quite a few broken bolts, but no worn or broken flanges etc. My gut feeling is that the drive pin has fractured, but the current collection of bits will work with a pin shorter than it currently is.

As you say, the next job is to open the sluice and spin the wheel. From there it should be quick enough to fit the 'new' coupling, the tyre and bolt it up.
It is an exciting project, however, it takes 2nd place to getting a house comfortable. It was it a real state, having been abandoned for many years. It's in good shape now, but plenty still to do.
The mill is in France, not far from Lourdes. Despite being close to a main road, there are no services near by. IIRC, the cost for a small supply was around 60k (after a substantial grant) and more if you want to  inject. That gets the supply to the boundary, then there would be the costs for 100m or so to the mill.
There is what looks like a sluice control system on the wall. However, there are no actuators, just limit/open/close switches. If restored, this could control the frequency, but manual tweaking will be required to see how the system copes under load. The current electrical installation is basic, so it's not obvious what was previously connected. There are a lot of halogen lights around.
If I can drag my friend away from building, I'll go back over and we'll spend some time trying to get it spinning.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: