navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydrometer recommendations?  (Read 1535 times)
Pord

« on: November 07, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »

Can anyone recommend a decent affordable hydrometer that won't break as soon as you even look at it? I've now had two of those Silverline jobs and the float has broken on both almost immediately. They seem to be ridiculously delicate. The other options on Amazon look to be the exact same model with a different brand name and quite widely varied price tag.
heatherhopper

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »

Good morning Pord. Amazing how simple questions sometimes draw a blank.

I have been using a cheap and cheerful Draper hydrometer for some years without mishap and I do not have a light touch. Available from all the usual places, reasonably robust but a bit fiddly to use as not entirely the right dimensions.

If you want to be a purist you should get an industrial quality hydrometer and an appropriately sized measurement tube and pipette. Results will probably be the same but you can tell yourself you are being scientific.

If you are going to use any hydrometer on a battery that is largely inactive - fine. If your battery is mostly active be slightly wary of your results. If you do not follow a disciplined, and frankly onerous to the point of impracticality, test procedure you may come to the wrong conclusions.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Tinbum

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »

Hi, I use one of the Durite ones which is good but i'm always very careful with it. You need to shop around for a good price though.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »

Hi, I use one of the Durite ones which is good but i'm always very careful with it. You need to shop around for a good price though.

Me too, but only cos it's not mine, 35 is a bit steep and the rubber is really prone to perishing. I used to spend half my life measuring SG's at work and home and have used hunners of different hydrometers of all prices and persuasions. One thing I can say is that you'll rarely find two that read the same and a good one is no better than a carp one. So, just buy another cheap one, be more careful and keep using the same one all the time.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pord

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »

Thanks guys. Will give the Draper 'el cheapo' a go as the Durites look kinda pricey.
JohnS

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »

My experience of silverline is that a lot of their stuff is absolute carp to such an extent that I will never knowingly buy their stuff. 

Sometimes toolstation sells it without stating the brand in their catalogue and I have been caught out.

2.1kWp solar PV
Pord

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 05:34:39 PM »

Agreed about Silverline. The range is vast, and sometimes it's decent value but it can be a bit of a lottery. I frequently see identical-looking items that are either unbranded or under another 'brand'.
Pord

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »

Update on the Draper hydrometer, which arrived Saturday. I haven't used it yet but first impressions are good, esp when compared to the Silverline. Glass seems thicker and stronger, and I like the plastic re-usable box it came in. Very handy to have something protective to store it in.
Scruff

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »

I don't spend a lot on them. As long as it goes to 1.3, has a plastic surround and a glass float all my boxes are ticked. The multi-floaty ball ones are rubbish, they're for mechanics not off-gridders.

I haven't noticed disparity between makes. I tried three against eachother they all read pretty much the same. If the electrolyte is stratified there'll be a difference alright.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: