navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Rig Gone !!  (Read 5651 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »

I just paid 118 Euroa for the 47kg one,
                         I did see an add for the 47kg one @ 80 Euro but when i wen to collect, I discovered that it was the next one down and not the biggest one @ 47kgs.
  The 47kg one, was 130euro in 2015.
                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »

I had to laugh at Joan Yates on Facecloth, she was moaning like feck cos she just paid £64.15p for one and some other dude was grumbling about the £40 deposit  wackoold some folk just don't know when they're well off  Grin £82.50 including the deposit is still cheaper than I can buy one!!!!!

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2018, 08:38:45 PM »

I spend around £1500 PA for the business on gas for our mobile showers. We now use genuine Calor and in 2017 paid around £42 ins VAT delivered for 47K gas. Previous supplier was non Calor and was about £78 for 47 K bottles. It sure pays to shop around.

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2018, 08:58:32 PM »

Goodness Andy, !!
             I am definitely going to shop around a bit more. Shocked Shocked Shocked
                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Tinbum

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »

I read that it has and may still be difficult getting LPG.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Justme

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 03:53:46 PM »

Calor has special deals for some industries that can use there products out of the main season.

For instance our local shoot uses them to raise the pheasants.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Westie

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 06:18:47 PM »

FYI

I use bulk LPG and pay 37p /Ltr,  1Kg of LPG is 2L so I pay 74p per Kg, so 47 Kg cost me £35 (that's inc VAT at 5%).

I have a 1 Tonne (2000Ltr) tank, the rental (standing charge) is £ 64 pa.

So if your paying around £50 for a 47Kg bottle that's £15 more per 47Kg than I pay, so you would be better off having a bulk tank if you use more than 4 bottles per year.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
camillitech

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 07:43:35 PM »

FYI

I use bulk LPG and pay 37p /Ltr,  1Kg of LPG is 2L so I pay 74p per Kg, so 47 Kg cost me £35 (that's inc VAT at 5%).

So if your paying around £50 for a 47Kg bottle that's £15 more per 47Kg than I pay, so you would be better off having a bulk tank if you use more than 4 bottles per year.

Trouble is, they won't give you a domestic tank unless you have central heating or at least guarantee that you'll use far more than '4 bottles a year'. At least not here they won't. I tried this route when we had a gas fridge freezer (47kg every 6 weeks) and was even prepared to fit gas lighting (a moment of madness) but still the local depot wouldn't wear it. My neighbours did manage to 'blag' one right enough but very shortly after, that particular salesman got the sack. I think they've only had one gas fill in almost 3 years  hysteria Well done them I say, but since we ditched the gas fridge freezer we only use 19kg cylinders and not very many of them at that.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Westie

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 12:06:42 AM »

FYI

Trouble is, they won't give you a domestic tank unless you have central heating or at least guarantee that you'll use far more than '4 bottles a year'. At least not here they won't. I tried this route when we had a gas fridge freezer (47kg every 6 weeks) and was even prepared to fit gas lighting (a moment of madness) but still the local depot wouldn't wear it. My neighbours did manage to 'blag' one right enough but very shortly after, that particular salesman got the sack. I think they've only had one gas fill in almost 3 years  hysteria Well done them I say, but since we ditched the gas fridge freezer we only use 19kg cylinders and not very many of them at that.
We don't use that much really,  refill every second year so 1000L per annum, so 500kg, so equivalent to 11 X 47kg bottles pa.  We've never been required  to give any commitment on usage either.  I guess living where you do does excercise their calculators when it comes to covering delivery costs🏝️😬

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
russ_fae_fyvie

New Plot

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 08:42:35 PM »

Good news at last, and not just for the gas!!

We have an offer for the house which we have verbally accepted so our days at Long Rig are numbered!

Now I can start to seriously look at the plans for the next house which I am really looking forward to !

Watch this space !!

New SIPs house, the new adventure starts here !
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 08:57:16 PM »

That is indeed good news Russ,
                               Hopefully all will go according to plan..It is a bit too early for congratulations but we will keep our fingers crossed,
                                                     Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 06:57:58 AM »

Everything crossed Russ fingers crossed!
Good luck
russ_fae_fyvie

New Plot

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »

I think its time to say the house is now sold !

Estate Agents removed signs following a written offer that was made and accepted last week, just waiting for confirmation that the buyer has been given her mortgage.

She is a Horticulturist and is also buying another Acre of land off the land owner to become totally self sufficient so being off grid is also something they wasn't to do.

As suggested by Biff earlier, I made up a booklet with all the info about the Tech and she seems really keen.

As soon as we hear next week we aim to move out end of the Month to a rental cottage until we build the new house.

Although as mentioned earlier, it will be on grid but a with 4kW of PV and a battery storage system, as well as Solar Thermal, Pellet Boiler and UFH just like here.

It will be a SIPS type house (local housebuilder produces them, 7 miles away !) with Osmo Treated (and stained) European Larch external cladding and Redwood interior cladding with Oak Flooring. Architect was around last night just putting finishing touches to the plans ready to go to planning end of June.

I know it can all be a hassle but we have learnt a hell of a lot from the Long Rig build but we are both really looking forward to it, defo our last move !

May not have the panoramic views we have now but to be honest you get a bit blasť to is and we will not miss the exposed here and the constant wind !

I have started a new website which I will make live once we know here mortgage is through next week.

So be prepared for more on 'Station Brae' soon !! In the meantime, here is a sneaky peek !!

extrahappy

* station2.jpg (457.82 KB, 1250x703 - viewed 115 times.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:50:46 PM by russ_fae_fyvie » Logged

New SIPs house, the new adventure starts here !
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »

Blimey another chapter begins, good luck with it all Russ. I wish I had the bottle to do similar, where's the envious smiley Grin

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
camillitech

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 10:28:04 PM »

You're a hero Russ, I couldn't put myself through all that house building carry on again  genuflect Looking forward to the next chapter.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: