Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever
Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Installing a 2.5KWWind Turbine  (Read 4004 times)
Offline Offline

Posts: 3

« on: June 01, 2006, 06:42:41 AM »


I am new to all of this but pretty excited at the possibilities.   My overall idea is to ditch the oil fired boiler, replace with a GSHP (see my post in the GSHP section) and install a wind turbine.  I was looking at the 2.5KW turbine,  but there are a few questions:

Is it best to just push all the output to a secondary meter and sell the electricity,  or utilise what you can (domestic consumption and the GSHP) and sell the excess? 

Reading other posts it looks like getting this power inverted (or whatever) to sell is a problem, what do I need to do this?

Also I would like to put the turbine at the bottom of the garden, which is at least 100m from the electricity meter,  is this a problem? 

Do I need planning for the turbine?  If so is there a example of what I am applying for?

Thanks in advance.

Hero Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 1780

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:17:02 AM »

You will certainly need planning permission for a 2.5 kw turbine in view of its size and height.

Ask Questions, look for evidence, think for yourself

Gold is the currency of Kings, Silver the Currency of Gentlemen. Barter is the Currency of Peasants, whilst DEBT is the currency of SLAVES
Hero Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 15733

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:44:39 PM »

The usual way with grid-connect is to have a proper grid-connect inverter, the electricity company will not allow you to connect without a "G83" certificated inverter - for the time being that means one of the expensive "Windy Boy" inverters (around 1500 for 2.5kw) - then you'll need a special meter from the electricity company (around 80-200) according to company, THEN you use the mains as a "battery substitute" - you feed excess in (and get paid for it), and use the mains normally in times of no wind! Wink
We desperately need more affordable G83 inverters, I know Ivan's testing some small ones from a Dutch company!
The other way would be to go the battery bank route, and use the inverter that comes with the kit - it's quite adequate for MOST household appliances,and does give you "independence" from the grid, but you'd need separate wiring, you can't just "plug it in" to your household system.
Sometimes, a good way to use any "excess" is to have a dump load controller wired to an immersion heater.
In theory, a well-sited 2.5kw turbine should produce roughly the average family's electrical needs over a year
As for planning, ring up your local planning office, and tell them what you want to do, and go with whatever suggestions they make - often they're friendly and helpful - it makes a change for them from boundary disputes!
Good luck! Cool

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!