navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It works,  (Read 4095 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: November 27, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »

I have recently been trying to generate heat directly from a wind turbine,
                 It is a 1kw x 48v Y/S and the plan is simple..a bit too simple. The 3phase from the Turbine is rectified by a heavy duty block rectifier and then sent straight into a limestone chip storage heater unit which is just a canister approx 150mm sq x 500mm high, filled to the neck with limestone chippings and a heating element running to the bottom and back to the top of it.
 Obviously, I cannot control the wind speed, so I had to wait for a breeze powerful enough to drive it from a standing start. I got my wish this morning and a right steady old force 4/5 came along and whisked it off. It ran for approx 20 minutes max, It was overspeeding at one point but I have often had faster on the bigger turbine..Above 25volts there is no holding it back. The heating unit did become warm enough to feel the difference up to about 200mm from the bottom of the canister. So it works and it is capable of taking off on its own but needs a force 5 and above. the next move is to find a Xantrex controller, connect it to the same rectifier and set it to dump into a bigger soft landing load @ say,,54 volts, say a set of big green resisters.. I cannot use the Chinese controller because it is idiot proof and does not allow any departure from the norm,without setting off alarms and whistles that go right through my hearing aid. I will post some pics eventually but there are wires running everywhere at the moment and as a moderator,, i have to "appear" very correct. H,mmm. Yes,,It certainly work.
                                                                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:52:50 PM »

It's taken you a few years to get back to this project Biff. Good luck with it.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »

Thanks Stann,
                I feel sometimes that I am wasting my time but today gave me a little ray of hope. It can be done but again it is a question of blade area and stepped loads.
   Feeling the warmth in the bottom 8 inches of the canister was really something as was getting the turbine back under control. Grin
                                                                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:28:58 PM »

I think Hugh has a simple circuit for that. Somewhere!

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:29:18 PM »

Thank you FFF,
            I struck it lucky on Hugh,s blog and landed in exactly the right spot, in  " Grid Connected Homebrew W/Turbines"  That showed an excellent diagram and the toys needed.
  It was started 1/1/2012 and down near the bottom in reply to Rufus Maurice, 12/8/2014, the two links are sitting pretty.
  This is a much safer way of doing business with no risks involved.
    Thanks again,
                     Biff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: