navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use 4G broadband for home?  (Read 14526 times)
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »

Well, here we are a month later, and things have at last settled down to a usable, steady 3.5mb so we’re on the hunt for an ‘affordable’ standby - in order that the law of sod obtains and we never need it. That outfit certainly looks the part Richard, but I see no mention of a sim slot - it does mention ‘dongle’. At the risk of sounding something of a dongle myself, I’m guessing this is an alternative to a sim?

What I have found is this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/used-HUAWEI-B593-CPE-S-22-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-4G-LTE-Router-2-x-EXTERNAL-ANTENNA/292249400792?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Maybe hooked to an antenna it would do the job.

Chas
chris_n

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

You need to put a sim card into that. Here in Austria I use a TP-link MR200 with a 3 sim, 30mb speed, unlimited data €30 a month.
titan

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2018, 05:44:10 PM »

Well, here we are a month later, and things have at last settled down to a usable, steady 3.5mb so we’re on the hunt for an ‘affordable’ standby -

I am a bit confused as to what you want, £130 for a used modem and antenna seems a bit steep if it is just for standby use. Can you get a 4G signal on your phone outside your house anywhere or even 3G which will still give the possibility of a better service than the 3.5Mb/s you are getting over ADSL . If you get a decent signal then Mobile may be the way to go. I was getting the same as you on ADSL I am very rural, so looked at the options and found with a recent local transmitter upgrade could get a 4G signal outside my house. I bought a deal from Three it was only available for rural areas and from a shop not online, it is 100MB a month for £30 and I was getting around 40Mb/s speed. I have now had it for over a year and it has worked fine. Just recently I discovered another transmitter and moved my antenna and now get around 50Mb/s. The Three deal includes a modem but an additional external antenna will improve the speed. I was reluctant to dump ADSL but did and have no regrets 4G has been far more reliable.
linesrg

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »

Paul,

I see you get a brief view of the supercharger on a YouTube clip of somebody getting a TS3 started. It certainly looks very similar in design with that ribbing. The TS3 makes even more noise running than my Turner. There is a YouTube clip linked on my site to a 2 cylinder L40 Turner running. I guess I should get one video of my engine running at some point.

Chas,

The Huawei router has a SIM slot. It also has the aerial connections although this isn't obvious and it certainly seems to matter which way around you connect them.

It has worked quite well since installation although in the last week it has been playing up and giving me a crimson LED. Some investigation yesterday evening and I found that the aerial section was in Automatic and it was selecting an internal aerial. I've now 'forced' it to recognise the external aerial and all is working fine.

I have found the Huawei router gives a superior performance to the one ee supplied.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2018, 07:51:43 AM »

Titan, Richard, though the EE 4g signal here is poor downstairs, at a bedroom window facing (roughly) a nearby mast, it’s two steady bars on this iPad - which encourages me to believe that with an antenna hoisted another 4m to the ridge and a sim router, I could get a useful service for the family if BT lets us down again. At present, the 3.5 we get is usable, tolerable and at £4.50 added to the landline (I want to keep the landline), cheap broadband. Anything involving a 4g monthly contract in addition is too big a hit on the pension though I can see it would solve the problem.

So, in essence the hunt is for a router that ‘sees’ a signal better than the miniaturised engineering of an iPad. I’m inclined to speculate £55 and a pay as you go sim to experiment, and add an antenna if it’s necessary. Who knows, it might work without the antenna...

Chas
linesrg

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2018, 08:07:47 AM »

Chas,

Even with the external aerial I still only 'see' one bar (out of four) on the Huawei router, the 4GEE supplied router doesn't show any.

Even with 'just' the one bar this morning a one off test gave me 30.3Mb on 4GEE and I'm getting 8.4Mb on the BT landline. Somewhat reluctantly I am going to have to give some credit to BT given they own ee as well. I was only getting 12 - 13Mb via the 4GEE service recently.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »

Chas,

Even with the external aerial I still only 'see' one bar (out of four) on the Huawei router, the 4GEE supplied router doesn't show any.

Even with 'just' the one bar this morning a one off test gave me 30.3Mb on 4GEE and I'm getting 8.4Mb on the BT landline. Somewhat reluctantly I am going to have to give some credit to BT given they own ee as well. I was only getting 12 - 13Mb via the 4GEE service recently.

Regards

Richard

Richard, for info do you get any bars when in the same location with a phone? One aspect of this game that interests and infuriates in equal measure is something touched on way back in early posts: why, given the constraints of making a phone portable don’t apply to router design, do some routers in their bulky cases, some with antenna attached, nevertheless fail to perform as well at signal gathering as a phone? I’ve already tried the palm-sized mobile routers, one with an external antenna... useless!

If your Huawei is finding usable signal where there isn’t enough to show on a phone, that would be encouraging.

Chas
linesrg

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »

Chas,

My iPhone is 'locked' to O2 so I wouldn't be able to test the equivalent coverage with my phone on ee - sorry.

Regards

Richard

linesrg

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2018, 07:04:06 AM »

Good Morning All,

An update on the green 'fibre' cabinet box down the road. I did wonder how it was connected to any kind of fibre cable as neither I or my wife were aware of the kind of disruption laying any kind of cable entails having occurred at any point.

My (nearly) daily run with the Land-Rover yesterday evening shows the cabinet isn't yet connected by a fibre cable however there is one lying on the verge all the way back to the village of Clatt.

I'm intrigued that simply fitting a new cabinet has resulted in a 4 - 5 time improvement in internet connectivity (although the service is still very much subject to contention).

We're quite looking forward to what will be after the fibre is connected.

Regards

Richard

chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2018, 08:13:26 AM »

I'm intrigued that simply fitting a new cabinet has resulted in a 4 - 5 time improvement in internet connectivity (although the service is still very much subject to contention).

We're quite looking forward to what will be after the fibre is connected.

Regards

Richard

Morning Richard, and hopefully it’ll be a revelation.

By way of a bit of an update here to maybe encourage others, I bought the Huawei B593 and a compatable indoor antenna. It worked ok without (5Mb) but at 15Mb with the antenna where only 1 bar of signal shows (upstairs windowsill) and transmits good strong signal, not less than 7Mb downstairs and through our very linear house.

So, £85 well spent for the reassurance it gives, and no doubt now I’ve got it on standby it will never be needed...

Chas
linesrg

« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »

Good Afternoon,

I went for a drive by this morning and they are currently mole-ploughing off the back of a John Deere...............

Regards

Richard

djs63

« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »

We live alongside an old bit of trunk road (they cut a big corner off) and there is a series of manholes which had copper cable for “trunk” telephone linkage from England to Scotland. They only removed the copper cable two years ago. No doubt it was made redundant by microwave links. Thus, the trunking (that word again) exists but it is empty - it leads to our local cabinet but we are now supplied via overhead lines.

Any ideas who I should approachto install fibre in existing, empty trucking Please?

Being close to a trunk road means that we have a very good mobile service and it may be more economically sensible to go down that route.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
splyn

« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2018, 01:33:15 AM »

Carphone Warehouse are running a promotion at the moment which seems to be a good deal - a 4G EE wifi mini for £9.99 with a rolling one month contract with 50GB for £26.35.

I went for it yesterday as the wifi mini generally seems to cost £59.99 or more and the data deals much worse - £40/month from EE direct. Bizarrely, CPW are also offering the same with 30GB for £30!

The reviews of the 4GEE wifi mini are pretty dire but they might relate to an earlier model. Unfortunately it doesn't support an external antenna so I'm using the SIM in my Huawei E5573 mifi (well tried it out briefly) which has twin antenna connectors. Haven't tried the EE wifi mini yet as it uses a micro SIM whilst the mifi uses a full size one. A tenner isn't bad for a backup device.

It remains to be seen if EE apply any significant restrictions to the mobile data such as blocking streaming services such as Skype, Netflix, Youtube etc. - not had a chance to try them yet.
smegal

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »

It remains to be seen if EE apply any significant restrictions to the mobile data such as blocking streaming services such as Skype, Netflix, Youtube etc. - not had a chance to try them yet.

My experience is that they don't. You'll just use your allowance.

When you’re thirsty, it’s too late to dig a well. - Unknown
Tinbum

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »

My experience is that they don't. You'll just use your allowance.

A lot of the 3 sims on offer include GoBinge which gives you Netflix and others that don't come out of your allowance as long as you havent used up your allowance.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: