navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's safe to burn and what isn't  (Read 88783 times)
County 4x4

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »

Your point being I suppose, that as long as YOU aren't having to breathe any fumes, then it really doesn't matter what you're throwing out the chimney for everbody else??
Behr

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »

Just finished off some Christmas Tree bases...smelt great ! No Idea what wood they were but burnt great chopped into blocks reindeer
Tiff

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »

Your point being I suppose, that as long as YOU aren't having to breathe any fumes, then it really doesn't matter what you're throwing out the chimney for everbody else??

That's the thing with wood burners, no matter what way the wind blows the smoke always drifts away from the house doing the burning - fine provided your neighbours live a good distance away but this is not always the case.

Behr

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:43 PM »

Between May and September we burn very early morning and late night (if necc).....saving up for solar heating so no need for fire. Have learnt starting methods to produce a rapid hot fire, minimising pollutants, but only burn "real" wood ( we get so many offers of old wardrobes or chipboardy stuff!) Never pink pallets (fire resistant) for obvious reasons! wackoold
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »

Don't burn bad sh*te you personally wouldn't want to inhale yourself, (or harm the environment you profess to care about so much) simple math really!
 garden

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2017, 10:54:13 PM »

Mr Logman dropped of a huge London Plane the other day genuflect so now I have a couple of tons drying in the woodstack, but a thought occured to me. I have read that these trees are really good at removing particulate pollution from the air, so will I end up spewing heavy metals all over the neighbours, or will the dragonstove become a mineable resource??

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Philip R

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2017, 11:14:35 PM »

After they have outlawed the diesels for particulates. They will realise that most of the fine particles are due to log burners, direct injection petrol engines, tyre and road particulates, smoking spice and vaping!!

Philip R
Philip R

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2017, 11:20:53 PM »

We have some jokers here whom like to burn waste wood, you can smell the mdf fumes on a damp winter evening when there is no wind to blow the fumes away.
Unless a chimney smokes during the day. I do not see how any clean air legislation regarding wood stoves is enforceable.

Philip R
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »

freeze freeze,
            I have stopped,, Once I realised that arsenic dust particles were being released, Now iI only burn proper wood, garden
                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Westie

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2017, 10:02:21 AM »

freeze freeze,
            I have stopped,, Once I realised that arsenic dust particles were being released, Now iI only burn proper wood, garden
                         Biff

I think many of us here with wood stoves have done the same Biff,  if anyone's in any doubt of the dangers then read this article. It's not press hype, it's the paper published following a series of major health problems caused to a family who were burning treated timber, if you don't fancy reading the entire thing the outcome was that they all suffered from Arsenic poisoning, and the real surprise to me was that the Arsenic they absorbed was from  dust inside the house, not from fumes -  which is what I would have expected.

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28090.msg320559.html#msg320559

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
brackwell

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2017, 10:15:12 AM »

Whilst agreeing with everything said but are they still using arsenic ?
Westie

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »

Whilst agreeing with everything said but are they still using arsenic ?

Good point, seems EU did legislate against it around the mid noughties....  Trouble is the replacement still stains the treated timber green (or brown) so you wouldn't know if it had arsenic or not (why didn't they use a different colour!). The replacement chemical is still based on copper and boron inorganic compounds but without arsenic, the greenness comes from the copper compound. 

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
MWood_UK

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2017, 11:27:26 PM »

Sorrry, a little off topic (what again, no :offtopic: am i missing imotes?   tumble )

I couldnt help but my eyes, almost immediately wandered here  whistlie

Railway sleepers - If they are untreated hardwood, there's no problem. If they are are ACQ treated (ie relatively new) then they should be no problem. If they are 'CCA' treated, then you should not burn for the reasons outlined above.

Telegraph poles - Probably nasty.

And reminded me of my Grand father sat at in front of the old kitchen range, feet up, pipe cuffing away reading a paper...
Across from him a stool with a  good 5' sleeper resting on it. The other end of the sleeper burning away in the stove!  hysteria 

signofcross Made 94 and was still sharp as a tack!

Surely i'm not the only one with an old coal n steam fired relative, that did this on occasion?  norfolk

No sure what 'CCA' was but always had more sense than to burn the 'real' sleepers and telegraph poles that were boiled in a mix of tar, creosote and oil over night and you just know its gonna burn like diesel and tyres!*  wackoold

They were too good to waste in a fire! They last upwards of 50 years, use those for better things  fight like making allotment raised planters

*Unless your the farmer that lives over the valley and takes em up to the top field to have a bonfire  fume
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: