navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: best wood burning cooker with boiler?  (Read 2454 times)
bar

« on: December 18, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »

Finally looking to rid ourselves of the oil burning rayburn in favour of a wood burning replacement for cooking and DHW as well as CH - 10 rads

i have seen a lot of mixed reviews for traditional british ranges covering quality of build, service support and performance.

starting to favour a wamsler??

appreciate any advice on this as i need to get moving. the oil companies don't want to deliver up the track to my house anymore and will not discharge into barrels on my trailer. surrender

we don't plan to fail we only fail to plan
pdf27

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:55:32 PM »

Do you have mains electricity? Unless you have a particular aesthetic attachment to cooking on a range I'd be very tempted to use a wood-fired heating system coupled with electric cooking or even bottled gas (a 47kg gas bottle will get you one hell of a lot of cooking).
regen

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »

I think there are some pellet burning boiler/oven combos which may fit the bill but don't know if the RHI payments are still available.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »

Windhager  and Pertinger cooking  stoves perhaps 

http://base.pertinger.com/eng/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=200&v=E9zN7cxhDLM

Smiley Billi

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:16:54 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
eabadger

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »

we had a plamck b wood boiler cooker very cheep and heating worked well as did hob, but oven, didnt work very well, it was in a small room but trying to get oven hot meant stocking it like a steam train and room got too hot even in middle of winter, great for keeping food hot or hob cooking.
tried alsorts but decided must have been better suited to coal.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
bar

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:33:34 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

for info we are a bit remote and off-grid. we have renewables - solar and hydro for power; very targeted at our power need only (with battery bank) going well for the past 10 years.

we are surrounded by trees so the potential to save 1500 pa on heating oil is becoming irressistible now i have retired. hence the wood burning cooker boiler to supplement the wood burner with back boiler we already have. And i should add solar hot water for the summers will be installed.

a lot of second hand rayburns (355 SFW) come up on ebay. must be a reason?Huh

i am becoming keen on the homewood heritage from New Zealand. cast iron range type and looks the part. they will export to me which is good and not out the way in cost.

not sure about not having hot plate lids?Huh

still looking at the wamsler. the wind up and down fire box sounds brilliant! would like a nice clean used one to come up for sale cheaply and that would make the decision for me.

Thanks again.

we don't plan to fail we only fail to plan
renewablejohn

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »

We will be replacing our Esse  cooker with a Lohberger with pellet option for auto start. Obviously it still can use logs to keep the cost down and has the summer and winter settings. One thing to remember is to include a Laddomat or similar in your pipework to maintain a high boiler temperature otherwise the boiler can dampen the cooking ability.
renewablejohn

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »

Finally looking to rid ourselves of the oil burning rayburn in favour of a wood burning replacement for cooking and DHW as well as CH - 10 rads

i have seen a lot of mixed reviews for traditional british ranges covering quality of build, service support and performance.

starting to favour a wamsler??

appreciate any advice on this as i need to get moving. the oil companies don't want to deliver up the track to my house anymore and will not discharge into barrels on my trailer. surrender

Not sure on the heating 10 rads. Used to be in that situation  with an oil boiler and after a lot of insulation replaced the oil with a dedicated Dunsley Yorkshire central heating boiler in the living room using the same radiators but on a single pipe ring circuit. Just starting the further enhancement of UFH downstairs while retaining the ring circuit upstairs. Esse only used for cooking and DHW with excess heat into the thermal store. Did it this way as we use cooker all year round but only need central heating Oct to Mar.
peterboat

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 11:08:22 AM »

we had a plamck b wood boiler cooker very cheep and heating worked well as did hob, but oven, didnt work very well, it was in a small room but trying to get oven hot meant stocking it like a steam train and room got too hot even in middle of winter, great for keeping food hot or hob cooking.
tried alsorts but decided must have been better suited to coal.

steve
I have one of these for my boat, it will replace my old Rayburn Royal solid fuel with backboiler. I would prefer to keep the Rayburn but cant find the company that used to make the bigger boilers for central heating, if anybody does let me know so I can keep my baby blue Rayburn please
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: