navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct Drive small engine 90amp charger,  (Read 5857 times)
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »

I must say, Biff, your welding looks better with every project! genuflect

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries plus a 130 Ah starter battery and a 92 Ah yellow gel item
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
oliver90owner

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »

The trouble with automotive alternators is they are only about 50% efficient, so you need a 2 1/2hp to get a single kW of leccy.  They are built for cheapness and lightness as car drivers donít really notice how naff they really are.

A properly designed alternator can be better than 85% efficient.  I wonder if the electronics on a honda EU10i could be tweeked to give far more DC output?

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »

True about automotive alternators Rab,
                                           The old lucas 3point plug alt said 35amps maybe 45 amps sometimes and you got not that far off it. The new stuff cheats remarkably successfully , Two beautiful lumps of scrap are the Renault Espace water cooled and the Merc water cooled. These are two of the most astounding alternators that were ever produced. The Merc one saw a conversion kit that blocked off the water inlets in it,s 3rd year of production , I am not sure if the espace has a conversion kit. I think they tried to copy the big American Yokes with the folding roofs,,air conditioning  and the full package that required a 150amp+ alternator. Some of those were successfully water cooled or else they went 24volts..The problem with the European water cooled yokes,,is that they took the coolant from the very top of the engine and over heated the alternator instead of cooling it..A real disaster. Audi used to circulate the fluid in the automatic boxs through and heat exchanger that used the engine coolant but again they took the engine coolant from the top of the engine  (Avant),,weird engineering. I have it on good authority that the Bosch is about as good as you get. Valeo are nothing close to second but i have a nest of them Grin so I am not worried. Fiat alts are to be avoided,,I know that Valeo also supply Fiat but in a way it is pot luck. The rack below the engine is adjustable both up and sideways so it should be easily adapted for a bigger more reliable and more powerful 12v bus alternator. What is there at the moment is not bad at all and will do to get the wiring set up properly and the cables installed.
 N2, I wish I could weld like that but it is not to be. Cry  
                                              Biff
  I will enquire about the Honda EU10i. Years ago I believed that Mitsubishi and Toyota had the best alternators on their 1/6 and 2ltr models.Say the mid 80s and early 90s. I know this from my experiences with them. I got left with dozens of them because I could not sell them. Some used separate control boxs and I sold them as a kit to convert Massey 35s from dynamo to Alts. That was the only way that I could shift them. I left a lot of happy old farmers but did not make much money.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:34:54 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 12:01:00 AM »

only just seen this thread, i have been playing with making something similar, reading above the alternator cooling; we have a renault espace which has a 150a water cooled alternator am sure more must have this feature or am i unlucky?
twice jump started it since we bought it, twice blown up alternator!

Prefered kind of serious 4wders, water cooled alternators are waterproof. Does it say do not to jump start your vehicle in the manual?
I prefer air cooled, clutch pulley because it's simple but above 150A there's not much other choice.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »

This is your Renault Espace 150amp Alternator Steve, and it is definitely not waterproof. It is a famous piece of equipment in the sense that it managed to get out into the public domain and scandalise Renault,s reputation.
The good news is that it is easily replaced with any modern 2ltr diesel Renault Alternator.  Same mountings etc, The 1.9 diesel Trafic can be a 125amp  version but the 2.2? is definitely 150amp. Just block off the two water pipes or loop them. The 150amp renault sells here for 200euros so it is a big difference, moneywise, to the water cooled disaster one. The non water colled Valeo version is very good,
The water cooled one does not even have a fan and depends totally on the water from the top of the engine to cool the water immersed windings, (Winding encased in epoxy resin and flooded)
                                                  Biff
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:00:39 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 09:18:31 AM »

All my enquiries regarding clear anti-rust lacquer ,
                                                  Came to nowt. Fine for inside furniture but all kinds of issues raised their heads. Apparently the metal takes on a yellowy hue after 12 months and there are other issues regarding the surface breaking up in contact with different chemicals. So I ditched the idea and set about it with a silver metal protector that i had left over. So the dirty deed is done and my brushed metal frame is now under a heavy coat of blah blah. After having thought about it for far too long, I relaised that there would not be much of the frame showing when it is finished.
                                          Biff

eabadger

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »

hi biff,
yes i have replaced alternator twice myself, bloody difficult to do as it is buried also had two bottom pullies fall off! they have an anti vibe rubber center.
never had an issue with winding both time the rectifier packs exploded, no not reverse polarity on jump.
when i asked at Renault they said it was due to the optional electric underfloor heating system!!

my work car is a nissan 4x4 alternator light came on at dover on way to work, did job next morning then wipped alternator off in hotel car park, taxi to repair shop, new brushes and reg pack and after a total including taxi repair and removal car was finished 90 mins after starting.

i have a big ex army charging set minus engine, up to 32v and i seem to recall 250a, must dig it out and see how to dive it, got a pully no belts and pully does fit any of my spare engines, another day.......

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »

I have been on the road a lot lately and have not had a lot of spare time,
                       But it is nice to get back into my Shed and rummage in my toy box, The frame is (almost) ready for cladding. It is not perfect by any means. i think you would have to build half a dozen of these to finally cover all the different angles. It is still light and easy managed but i fear once the Alternator is housed in zinc cladding and the fans fitted, it will be quite a bit heavier. The Hyundai 99cc engine is the lightest one i could find. It is also the most reliable and easiest managed. It was the most frugal on petrol ever to mow our lawns. It was the first one to do the front and rear lawn on a single tankful. There is no throttle, It starts instantly and uses the same rpm.   (Less to go wrong)

Biff
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:03:52 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »

Zee Shed is a cold stand at present,
                                  +, I am other wise engaged and quite a busy bee, not that I am making any great advances. So I drop in to the Shed from time to time and stroke the metal on the new charger. The place if littered with all kinds of tools. You would be amazed how many different tools are involved in such a simple project.  But I am getting there. It is a bit like a top class T bone steak with all the trimming and banana fritters for afters,,then coffee and dark biscuits,,,Arraggghhh,. You like to take your time and not be rushed.
 The fans arrived ages ago and are ready to set into place. Like the last charger,,the 120vdc one,, It has to be set up in such a way that everything is accessible and easy enough worked at. Changing an alternator is a 10 minute job,, replacing the engine 5 minute. I have a few 175amp Andersons hidden away somewhere.

It should be able to deliver 220ac as well as 12v dc but we will see.
                                                     Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »

This morning I got time to put a few more nuts and bolts on the 12v charger,
                             It is a lovely project and took me back to years ago when I rewired an old Major, swoping the poles and trying to include the volt/amp meter in the new circuit. Luckily there was nobody watching and jotting down all my blunders or else they would have wrote a book on them.
. The engine is out of a mower that i bought a few years ago. It is a foolproof little machine and very light for 99cc. It hums along quietly and I know from experience, cutting our lawns back and front that it is an absolute miser of juice.I sent off £114.00 to Amazon and bought the near identical lawnmower which will be coming out of the box when the grass gets going shortly.

, The present alternator is an old Valeo Dude which was meant to be a template for a very good one.
  It is running fine, It is 90 amp, Nice and quiet with not the slightest vibration of signs of fighting between the bearings on the alternator and the bearing on the engine. There is a certain amount of flexibility in the mountings, There has to be.

Calibrating the volt meter was simple enough. I have a few of these and I have known them to pop with the first surge of electricity. There is a small APC, 600va UPS in the loft, In fact there are at least 3 of them. There is plenty of room on the frame, so i will plump one on and give it a go.
 The present battery is one of my old digger batteries, so I will set a 100ah Yousa in there in it,s place.
  There is nothing to stop this kind of machine, acting as a domestic backup with the small 400watts sine wave UPS.
  I will give it a go and plug the house into it, The fridge, the pump and the lights,, for a full tank full. (very small amount fills the tank.? I know that it ran for well over an hour brutalising the rushes and tall grass and a tweak down the revs will perhaps get increased economy. In fact, that is what is is all about.. economy.!
  The fiber filters and covers for the fans have not arrived yet from ChinHa the are due any day. I will phone Xi personally  and cancel the order if they are not here by next Christmas..
 Goodness,,Ken Dodd has gone as well. He did make me laugh,,well my X was from Liverpool so Doddy was a kind of in the family.
That old one about Wully who worked on the docks as a Diesel fitter and some one remarked that they never saw him near a machine..
Then it was explained that Wully would spend the days going around the warehouses,,opening boxes and looking inside,, pulling stuff out and holding it up and saying ,,"Diesel Fitter,,Diesel Fitter"
                               Biff

Scruff

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »

What're the fuses doing Biffer?
It's an odd arrangement..
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 06:44:29 PM »

Fuses to the fans, To the volt meter and small ups.
 I did not have a smaller fuse box, so just shoved the bigger one in.
 The red button is the engine cutout..
    I just used up a load of bits and switches that I already had.
      Biff

donegal

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 10:07:17 PM »

Thats very impressive Biff !, Whats the next project ?

Tony
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:26 PM »

Thank,s Donegal,
      I have nothing special scheduled but a load of digging for a new 4" pipeline which will keep me warm for a few weeks. freeze
        Biff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:05:03 AM by biff » Logged

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »

Nice job Biff.
The starter-cord is at a good height; I always shied away from motor-mowers because I'd end up twisting my back trying to start them. That looks high enough to put your boot on when pulling against compression. genuflect

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries plus a 130 Ah starter battery and a 92 Ah yellow gel item
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: