navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct Drive small engine 90amp charger,  (Read 6993 times)
Scruff

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »

I just used up a load of bits and switches that I already had.

I was curious which way you were feeding them.
Good Bodgineering.
I like these fuseblocks they're neater than commoning inputs.

Also available with ground bus terminals.

But hey run what ya brung!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:23:16 PM by Scruff » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 03:20:18 PM »

They look nice and neat Scruff,
                  My wiring was simple,,tres simple.

I used the interior roof light from an old fiat as an ignition light,,as long as it is over 5watt. Leds are out. There is a busbar for the live on one side and the ignition pushes on to the single on the opposite side of the bulb. Then the live comes off the busbar and travels down through a 30amp  in the fusebox., the fusebox. The single yellow on top of the fusebox is the live from the battery, coming through the ignition light but not controlled by it.
The rest of the switches are for the fans,,volt and amp meter and a spare switch on the far right which was going to be for the pump but it will need direct access to the battery as ell as the little UPS.
 It,s a nice pastime and one that makes you aware of the difficulties in designing something like this. The shunt and inverter have to be located in an area away from the petrol cap filler and also be shielded from the same as well. That is easy enough but it would be terrible to find out the hard way that I got it wrong at the start. So maybe I learn a little as well.
  I will start with the small UPS and see how it goes. It will hang on a rack away to the far left of the engine.
  It would be true to say that everything that i have added after the ignition light and the stop button is just future bother but i would like to see what it is capable off and the UPS and a larger one will not be long in telling me.

And of course, The company is excellent  Grin.
.   What ever way Angel was raised, She never got the chance to use her touch properly. She will point to something that she wants and stick there to you get it for her. She will point. She will search and retrieve but if she thinks she will knock something over,,she will ask you to get it for her. He will take it down and give it to her. He is 8 years old on the 22nd. She is great gas,,very physical but lovely to know. He is Mr Cool.(He needs a brush)

Maybe, !
             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »

This would be an ideal project for you N2,
                                   Perhaps a quiet gas driven mower engine. This Hyundai one is very easy started. One of the easiest started one i have ever known. Maybe you could try the 24volt version ,,say a truck alternator or a coach one, 24volt x 75amp. They are selling on fleabay and not that expensive.
 Once I connect the shunt on the negative before the UPS,, and power up my variable speed brill and grinder, i will get a very good idea of what it can do then, Until them it is all guesswork. I know that i would find out pretty quickly while it was powering the Turbine winch but I would also be running around doing other things at that time and have no time to stop and ponder.,
    I did consider a two stroke chainsaw version but mixing the oil put me off. At least it would be light and powerful. However they are not meant to be worked for long spells of time flat out and with the 4 stroke, you can set the rpm lower without fear of overheating.
                                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 03:43:20 PM »

I suppose you don't need a negative bus when you have a grounded chassis.  Grin

What's peak & nominal alternator load outtov curiousity?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »

Aye Scruff,
      I don,t actually know what kind of performance I will get but I fitted a small UPS this evening and will install a shunt tomorrow if the weather is nice. I have a variable speed grinder and drill and will load the UPS to the max on the UPS before fitting a bigger one. The Alt is 90amp but I would be happy with 50amp but will have to wait and see. The only way you can tell is to run it under different loads and listen to the engine and the whine of the alternator. Some alternators will stall an engine when the electric steering is being used during parking,,especially when the battery is on the way out.
                          Biff

Scruff

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 07:33:01 PM »

Sounds like they needa different pulley ratio if they do. 50s realistic under load I think 40A - 30A charging until it throttles. B+ cable gauge plays a huge role. After that you can fiddle with the D+ resistance for more powah.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:35:22 PM by Scruff » Logged
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 10:51:11 PM »

Biff, I'd love to make something like that, it looks very rewarding.
At the moment I'm still playing/tuning-up the first of the pair of VDG's. Hot white straight spark length is about 3", (220kV), gentle mauve 'corona-ish' sparks are 8-10". (400+kV miniature lightning). Now the first one works, (positive), I shall carry on and finish the second one, (negative). Once they are up and running as a pair, I'll post a video on you-tube. I love my toys, for as long as they don't kill me!

This is a hot little spark that makes me jump and leaves a tiny burn. If I hold the top terminal, I can hear a sizzling noise as small sparks jump from my feet, through the side of my shoes to the Wshop floor. Exciting and adrenaline producing stuff!

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 07:10:35 AM »

I do love reading these posts congratulations folk.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 08:29:45 AM »

It does sound exciting N2,
                         But if I got sparks like that on our bank, I would need more than a change of trousers if i survived at all. Grin
                                        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »

, I had connected up the UPS and a row of sockets, Then tried the drill. first I blew a 15 amp fuse, then i blew a 25 amp one and finally a 30 amp one,,just trying to power the drill. Then i decided to try my big lead spotlight and that seemed to work fine.,However,,strange things began to happen. The voltage would soar and drop and i suspected that the old alternator was perhaps in the spasms of dying

Or maybe the grub screws on the engine/alternator were working loose but a quick turn with an allen key shows they were fine. Everything was working. The UPS was powering up fine but the voltage readings were not nice. So I switched off the fans and it seemed to help, so maybe the fan magnets were too near the alternator windings,,then the volt began dropping and it looked bad.

So out came the multimeter and after a few tests, it showed that the alternator was performing fine and everything was indeed working to plan,except for the volt meter itself..  I should have kept is simple,
    More later,after tea and soup.
                               Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 04:23:57 PM »

Replaced the American Power Company ,
                                   With Young jack Chang, bought a good 8 years back and is serial battery killer.

, fans and ignition light on as well as the Inverter, engine not running and  battery so so low.

, Engine running but not struggling, Drill set next to highest setting.

Grinder starts up good on this setting. Govenor on the engine  is lazy to act but gentle use can get the best out of it. It cuts  fine and the drill drills fine. The Alternator hums along comfortably. The engine is totally unfrazzled. I watch the govenors and keep my hand on the frame and that tells me what is happening.

The volt meter will suddenly start working for a few moments at a time, so must check for loose connection.. 
All in all, this is not bad and I am guessing that full power at the moment is around 800watts. A bigger battery would take the lift out of the start up but the small present one will point out the faults a lot quicker. I could stick in a more powerful alternator, I have one ready but the little engine is already loaded enough. A little freeing oil on the govenors would certainly make a difference .
   This has been an excellent project and i would definitely recommend it to all the members.. If in the future something crops up against this design. i will keep you posted but right now, i am quite pleased with it.
                                               Biff

Scruff

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »

With Young jack Chang, bought a good 8 years back and is serial battery killer.

The inverter is physically bigger than the battery!  ralph

I could stick in a more powerful alternator, I have one ready but the little engine is already loaded enough.

Would be my thinking too. You can reduce load with gearing.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »

"The inverter is physically bigger than the battery"
 True  Scruff, but not for long.. I have a pair of big yousa 100ah. My winch batts.

Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »

Just a few more words about this charger,
                                           It is working fine, I put freeing oil on the governor movements and the response to sudden loads has been much smoother and quicker. So it runs much smoother all round.
  These are my old winching batts, I kept them back, just to see if there would come a day that I could restore them somehow. They hold a charge of 12.45volts and you would think that they are fine but once you load them,,they crash. So I have been reading up on Epsom salts  Grin. Err  NO, I am not constipated , it is for the batts. It would be nice to somehow frizzle the plaque of the plates and see if they survive.

This is the charger running with the fans on and the Inverter switched with the drill working. I will tidy up the wiring and finally secure the inverter when i get the Yousa fitted.

This is me trying to hold the camera with one paw and take a pic of the voltage at the same tme. The trick is to keep the voltage up between 13.50v and 14.00volt and that is easily possible but it means a light finger on the variable speed trigger. These holes in the steel were drilled quite easily and if you think about it, it is a better way of drilling, The bits do not get heated as much and the end product gets done quicker. The Grinder works perfect on speed 4, so once I take a proper heavy yousa 100ah battery out of the winching pack, it will hold more power and mean that it will handle sudden loads better.

.  I am very aware that my old Honda GX 160 ,which I sold last year would knock spots of this in AC but I could not charge 12 volt batteries like this thing. I am sure i could get a lot more than the 800watt that is seems to be delivering at the moment in AC. They are for different things. I constantly check the grub screws on the coupling and look for signs of overheating but everything is cool. It is a worker.

Biff

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: