navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: laptop charger  (Read 1580 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: January 07, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »

Hi

Am looking for a   external battey capacity for my laptop , any ideas ?

Can i just connect 3x  6 Volt recharchable batteries  in series to  18 volt   and   and connect to my laptop ?

Or   a  200 watt inverter  conected to a battery and  charge through  the 230 AC  Laptop adapter
I know that there are losses , but have 100 watt PV panel    and a chargecontroler spare , only need inverter and a batt

Any thoughts ?

Thanks Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »

I have used 3 six volt batteries before without any problems. The laptop has internal circuitry to control battery charging and power supply voltages for the different components.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »

Ok thanks Roger
I would asume  that i can connect a 12 volt PV direct to a 18 volt Battery without overcharging ...

If i go with an inverter idea  and use my car starter battery  as the storage ..... is there a starter battery recomendation , that  can take   discharge cycles  ?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:06:47 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Fionn

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »

There are cheap charge pump adapters available to run your laptop from a 12V supply, they work really well and are super efficient.
I've got a few regular ones that are adjustable output voltage and one for my Macbook also, they work great and cost very little.
I don't think it's worth risking the direct connection method and you can use one of these with any vehicle or other 12V power source.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
camillitech

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:49:39 PM »

There are cheap charge pump adapters available to run your laptop from a 12V supply, they work really well and are super efficient.
I've got a few regular ones that are adjustable output voltage and one for my Macbook also, they work great and cost very little.
I don't think it's worth risking the direct connection method and you can use one of these with any vehicle or other 12V power source.

Yup, I'd go with that Fionn, got one of those myself and it will run just about any laptop I've had. The only exception being a Fujitsu Siemens that was around 20V with the screen the size of a TV. It would even run that for a little while before it overheated, was fine once it cooled down again. Still have it now and it must be 6 or 7 years old.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 01:22:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: