navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Production of Tesla solar roof tiles has started.  (Read 1092 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-solar/tesla-says-solar-roof-production-has-started-in-buffalo-idUSKBN1EY2B9

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »

Well, how interesting: not bad looking and under the right circs economic too - assuming Iíve interpreted their quote correctly... ď solar roofs would cost between 10 & 15% less than an ordinary roof plus traditional panels.Ē

So, for a refurb (or new build) a slatey-looking roof producing electrickery for less than usual tiles+panels?

Is there anything not to like? Output per m2? Horrid glare? Has my usual boyish enthusiasm been once more cruelly misplaced?

Chas
linesrg

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »

Chas,

As somebody with a Scotch slated property I thought the multi-hued appearance of the Tesla 'tiles' was a very positive feature. Unfortunately I can't make any justifiable use of them at this property even if I wanted to.

Regards

Richard

16 x BP380 on a Lorentz tracker/ SMA SB2500, 16 x Chinese 80W/ SMA SB1700, 16 x BP380/ SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 heat pump/ Gledhill ASL0085 300litre EHS/ 3off Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and an Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 x Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery.
djs63

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »

Having family in the US and having visited for 40 years I have the impression that many/most roofs are of shingle construction. If this is correct, what effect would this have on the construction of roof bracing, Tesla panels vs shingles?

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
dan_b

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »

I agree it seems like a superb solution for all new builds, and anyone needing a full roof re-do?  They look excellent aesthetically, and I assume output must be good not least because it's the whole roof area?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
A.L.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »

hello,

I agree it seems like a superb solution for all new builds, and anyone needing a full roof re-do?  They look excellent aesthetically, and I assume output must be good not least because it's the whole roof area?

There are 'dummy' slates available so you can tailor your output. Sanyo/Panasonic HIT technology. Potentially very good but of course the price will be the determinant.
JohnS

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »

Are they connected up in series or do they have micro inverters or optimisers?

In other words, how do they handle shading?

2.1kWp solar PV
M

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »

I think for new-builds they make great sense, especially given their 'infinite' warranty (as long as the house lasts) due to the tiles/slates being extremely tough. Personally I don't mind the look of PV panels, or perhaps don't care, but I accept that these look nicer.

There was a recent article on the MSE site where a couple had bought a house with PV, and were asking how to get it removed as they don't like the look. Based on the install date, I advised them that FiT's, export and leccy savings would be nearly a grand a year for another 17 (or so) years. They didn't care, PV has to come down.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
TheFairway

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 08:02:07 AM »

I paid a significant premium for more efficient therefor smaller area of panels and to me more aesthetically pleasing black panels so I can see that they are not to everyone's taste - my neighbours install is a right pigs ear but at least they are not typically overlooked.

But losing huge amounts of FIT takes that to a different level, especially as removing may reveal defects beneath - our tiles needed to be modified to get them to sit flat on the support legs so they may still end up with visual artifacts especially if you cannot source replacements quickly enough.

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my employer, clients or partners.

pdf27

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »

Are they connected up in series or do they have micro inverters or optimisers?

In other words, how do they handle shading?
They're connected in series through to a single inverter. That's actually a show-stopper for me to use them - I'm currently looking at a new build in ~18 months time, but planning restrictions mean that the south-facing elevation would need to have a load of dormer windows. With micro-inverters these would be idea for the application (it would have south, east and west facing surfaces) but with conventional inverters they would be limited to a small strip across the top of the roof.
JohnS

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 12:36:12 PM »

Have you considered Velux type windows instead of dormers?

I find that dormers can often be small and pokey and not let in much light.  Veluxes let in more light and can have good headroom under them if carefully positioned.  Also by sloping the edges to the inside of the roof on the inside, more space and light can be achieved - similar to the slot windows in old castles.

2.1kWp solar PV
pdf27

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 02:41:14 PM »

Have you considered Velux type windows instead of dormers?

I find that dormers can often be small and pokey and not let in much light.  Veluxes let in more light and can have good headroom under them if carefully positioned.  Also by sloping the edges to the inside of the roof on the inside, more space and light can be achieved - similar to the slot windows in old castles.
The local planning guidance explicitly encourages dormer windows, and we aren't too far away from not needing them (ridge height limit is ~30cm too low) so the internal impact should be quite limited - it's practicable to make them quite big. There is also the summer overheating issue - dormers are pretty well shaded from overhead sun, Velux windows are not. Given that this would be a Passivhaus-level new build, summer overheating is a significant issue.
dimengineer

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »

I think for new-builds they make great sense, especially given their 'infinite' warranty (as long as the house lasts) due to the tiles/slates being extremely tough. Personally I don't mind the look of PV panels, or perhaps don't care, but I accept that these look nicer.

There was a recent article on the MSE site where a couple had bought a house with PV, and were asking how to get it removed as they don't like the look. Based on the install date, I advised them that FiT's, export and leccy savings would be nearly a grand a year for another 17 (or so) years. They didn't care, PV has to come down.

Wow. I find that just astonishing. Words fail me.  facepalm

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
dimengineer

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »

Perhaps I should have added. What sort of people were they? I'm curious.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
TT

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »

Personally I donít like the look of my solar panels, but I donít have to look at them

Not everyone is motivated by money, so if I was living in my period home, and redeveloping it PV wouldnít be a consideration
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: