navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Production of Tesla solar roof tiles has started.  (Read 1854 times)
M

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »

Perhaps I should have added. What sort of people were they? I'm curious.

They were older folk (look whose talking!) who liked the house, but never had any intention of keeping the PV. They didn't know what FiTs were, and their solicitor hadn't (according to them) mentioned FiTs or any transfer of the account.

Whilst I disagree about the looks of PV, as I don't really care what mine (or others) rooves look like, I do appreciate that for some it's a major issue. But on this occasion as they live under the PV, so can't really see it, I don't get the upset.

I'm reminded of an episode of 'the moaning of life' with Karl Pilkington touring the world. He'd previously said that he'd rather be the only ugly person in a world full of beautiful people, than the only beautiful person in a world full of ugly people, and put that example to use when visiting a valley where a beautiful temple is carved out of the rockface (possibly the one from the 3rd Indiana film(?)). He said he wouldn't want to live in that temple but rather in a hole in the rockface opposite - that way he'd get to look at the temple all day, whilst they'd only get to stare at his hole.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
TheFairway
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »

Its an extrapolation of "would I paint my house pink with white spots". Not sure how many people would. But then I use to be a designer, so aesthetics is important to me so my viewpoint is at the aesthetics end of the spectrum rather than the monetry end. I spent alot of time planning where my PV went to mm accuracy - much to the frustration of the installer who initially decided to move things a few feet - although part of this was about integrating a Velux window in the install which had to be centered on a feature inside the house.
Tinbum

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »

I'm in the process of refurbishing / extending / rebuilding our house and will be re-tiling the whole roof. Must say I do like the look of these and will be interested in the price.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 09:25:33 AM »

https://www.pv-tech.org/news/tesla-peaks-at-93mw-of-solar-installations-for-2018-as-roof-tile-system-del

The video at the bottom has an interesting interview with a new owner.

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pile-o-stone

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 09:48:17 AM »

Personally I donít like the look of my solar panels, but I donít have to look at them

Not everyone is motivated by money, so if I was living in my period home, and redeveloping it PV wouldnít be a consideration

I agree, I'm really not keen on the look of solar panels, though roof integrated ones do look a lot better, especially on brand new buildings. We have a listed home built in the 1700s and we wouldn't be allowed solar ont he roof, even if we wanted them, but we were allowed to put them on the garage roof. It's not ideal because the garage is completely shaded in winter by the house and the roof pitch is East/West facing (though views have changed recently on this and now it's viewed favourably for longer generation times), but we're doing out bit for the environment.

We fitted roof integrated black framed, black coloured panels and they look OK. The picture below gives a before and after comparison. I'd much rather have replaced the roof completely and filled it with solar tiles but they weren't available. Oh well, maybe for the next house.

* Garage.jpg (129.47 KB, 841x360 - viewed 86 times.)

5.18 kWp PV system (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
heatherhopper

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »

Hmmm - delays, delays, delays but hype, hype, hype. Doesn't inspire me much I'm afraid.

Shame as it looks fine - even for stringent planners!

Quote from article "would be prioritizing residential solar installations of the roof tiling system when sales were combined with its energy storage products".
Well I never!
Quote from video owner "if somebody is financially sensitive, I wouldn't recommend it".
Surprise!

Off grid 6kW Proven 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
kristen

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »

Hmmm - delays, delays, delays but hype, hype, hype. Doesn't inspire me much I'm afraid.

I wouldn't buy anything from Tesla until it was a) available and b) no longer early-adopter / "Founder" model.

I don't have a problem that Musk is very aggressive in the timelines that he sets, he has managed to get some extraordinary things accomplished, but as the company has grown the reining back on ridiculous over-ambition predictions of delivery hasn't improved, and whilst they might have been fine for the early-adopter pioneers, its ridiculous now the company is moving to mass-market.

I haven't bought a Battery yet because the whole Solar / Grid-backup / Off-Peak software thing isn't properly sorted, to my eye.

But then there are other areas where Tesla have been agile.  Cars were having their key fobs hacked and cars stolen (and other makes that have "car unlocks as you approach", not just Tesla). Tesla issued a "Pin No. to Drive" OTA software update within a month or so of the thefts starting to get noticed, and I assume all other Brands have had to get their owners to turn off the "Automatic unlock" feature (or get the owners to put their keys in a Faraday pouch - which also prevents walk-up-and-unlock Natch!) to stop the cars being knicked
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: