navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look wot we got!  (Read 7190 times)
TheFairway
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »

Yes, you can coil most electric cable just like a rope - its the twist that is key and anyone who has spent time coiling rope/sheets, say on a small boat, will find that the technique is the same.
linesrg

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 01:28:29 PM »

Good Afternoon All,

I am a professional seaman.............. Wink

IMHO the best way is to 'roll' coil it rather than attempt to loop it - a bit like Tirfor wires.

The Konnwei OBD dongle has turned up today - now to see if I can get the CanZE app. up and running.............

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
linesrg

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »

Good Afternoon All,

I've been doing some reading up on the Zappi system and elsewhere.

From what I can gather the Zappi isn't as flexible as the Immersun in that there is no provision for a 'remote' CT facility like the Immersun with the T1070 wireless set-up. I've sent the manufacturers an EM querying this.

I believe the Zoe needs a minimum charge rate of 10A so I'd need some 2.5kW of exported PV to start charging?

As mentioned in my 'Heat Pump Install @ Courtiestown' thread I'm looking at making best use of the energy I have. Once the Solar ET is functioning as it should the need for the Immersun diversion will lessen.

Thoughts welcome.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
merkland

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2018, 10:19:33 AM »

Richard,

Don't know very much about it but just wondering why you need a special device for charging your Zoe from your house PV, unless you only want to charge it when there is sufficient PV available. If the Zoe is to be your main transport then it will have to be charged when it needs it rather than wait until there is PV available!

merkland.

200w wind turbine grid tied, 1x175w PV grid tie or to batteries,
2x55w PV to batteries, 24vx440ah battery bank. 3.5Kw grid tie (14xSanyo 250w facing 160degrees at 80 degrees inclination, Aurora 3.6 inverter), 2xflat panel water heating (for over 30 years )
TheFairway
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »

I came to the same conclusion when I started looking at real EV's rather than toy ones and PHEV's.

For us, whilst a 20 mile/day commute is not going to take much replenishing, say 6kWh, time of use would not permit that until the weekend, at which point, its 30kWh. Over some months, this would be entirely practical from excess solar, but, as has been said, the main reason to charge the EV is to drive it, not to store excess energy.

And that is from the single use case.

Add in a weekend jaunt, or ad hoc longer trips, my personal opinion is to keep it simple and either charge during the day when grid use may be augmented by free solar power, use destination charging, or charge overnight on cheap rate energy. That way you pretty much guarantee that the car will have enough energy for use.

Like using a washing machine, time controlled use and a bit of common sense probably covers 90% of what is ultimately possible. Im now entirely comfortable with a little usage coming from outside the generation curve.

That said, it would be nice if you could tell the EV what max charge rate should be. Can you do this or is it simply based upon the capabilities of the charger? ie Could I tell the EV to charge at 3kWh if it was connected to a 7kWh charger? What about 2kWh?

And then there is Oct through to Feb...

When we dip our toes into EV, it will be main car, so 200-300 mile real range and 70kWh battery. Charge it up overnight every week or couple of weeks and except for an exceptionally long run to remote destination, I am hoping that EV will be as easy to live with as our current vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:57:04 AM by TheFairway » Logged
linesrg

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2018, 12:30:59 PM »

merkland/ TheFairway,

I'm simply reviewing all possible options with a view to maximising usage of the electricity being generated.

Once the Solar ET is sorted there is going to be an issue of what do with the Solar PV output during the summer. Having exported 30kW in two days was an unusual situation but one that will re-occur.

As I say I believe the Zoe won't charge below 10A.

I keep putting this stuff 'out there' to see if somebody has already 'invented that wheel'.

Regards

Richard

Westie

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »

Good Afternoon All,

I've been doing some reading up on the Zappi system and elsewhere.

From what I can gather the Zappi isn't as flexible as the Immersun in that there is no provision for a 'remote' CT facility like the Immersun with the T1070 wireless set-up. I've sent the manufacturers an EM querying this.

I believe the Zoe needs a minimum charge rate of 10A so I'd need some 2.5kW of exported PV to start charging?

As mentioned in my 'Heat Pump Install @ Courtiestown' thread I'm looking at making best use of the energy I have. Once the Solar ET is functioning as it should the need for the Immersun diversion will lessen.

Thoughts welcome.

Regards

Richard

Well, if your happy with Type 1 charging you would be fine with the Immersun set to divert when you had a min of 2.4kw available. OTOH the Zappi will divert up to 7kw.  

Just found out they have a new charging system in the new model of the Zoe, they now use the motor inverter as a charger where as the old Zoe had a separate charger, the downside is loss of 43kw 3Phase AC fast charging (tho 22kw is still available) the plus is more efficient low rate charging.....   Neat idea really and saves the cost of a dedicated charger.

https://transportevolved.com/2014/12/16/renault-zoe-lose-43-kw-rapid-charging-preference-improved-home-charging/

BTW it's a pet hate of mine to see  EVSE's refered to as chargers (even Zappi do it!).  Its just a switch with a bit of basic electronics (switched resistor values) to tell the EV charger what the  rating of the EVSE is, so the onboard charger can draw the appropriate max  current.  Also Zappi claim to be the only company doing a PV aware EVSE. Actually Mennekes Amtron EVSE beat the to it by over a year and their EVSE integrates with Sunny Home Manager.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
dan_b

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »

Zappi works in several modes

Eco+ an "ImmerSUN" style charge, ie it'll only charge the EV when there is solar surplus, so any and all charge is only from the sun. Charging can and will pause if there's not any surplus to divert.
Eco -  a sort of semi-ImmerSUN mode, in which it will charge the car aiming to maximise use of solar surplus, but charging will continue at the set rate even if there's no surplus to divert.
Fast - basically as a regular 7kW domestic charger, pumps it in regardless of what's going on with your domestic generation and consumption.

Zappi can and does work with a wireless remote CT clamp as well, they sell it as a separate device called the Harvi.

Also worth noting that the same company also makes a hot water diverter unit as well called the Eddi, which is essentially a Mk2 ImmerSUN.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
TheFairway
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2018, 04:05:31 PM »

Reading up about Zappi, I would consider it if it could be fitted for a small premium over and above regular cost.

Its probably got a few features that I may find useful, if ordinary chargers do not allow you to restrict output, say 7kWh down to 2kWh. But then, it may be a bit over complicated for SHMBO who would be the one using it most of the time. Plus jury is out on teathered cable, or seperate cable. I appreciate that latter will be an option later in the year, well before we are likely to need one probably next year.
dan_b

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2018, 04:07:38 PM »

How about this then, SolarEdge are launching their own EV charger

https://news.energysage.com/solaredge-ev-charger-an-integrated-electric-car-charger-solar-inverter-for-your-home/

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
TheFairway
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »

Cos its the wrong side of the TGM?
linesrg

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »

Good Evening All,

I'm not sure the Immersun MkII could be used to divert over 2.4kW in a form that the existing charger socket could use so the Zappi seems the optimal solution.

A technical guy at myenergie assures me that they have a harvi working over 30mtrs through more than one wall. He has suggested fitting a harvi in the same location as my existing T1070 and using one of the three spare twisted pairs in the CAT5 cable from the Immersun CT.

Re the tethered cable - we chose to go untethered to provide more flexibility with the ChargeMaster device. I'll probably not be looking to a Zappi until I've considered my options. I'd like to see how we get on with the Solar ET working at 100% effectiveness first to get a better handle on how much surplus electrickery we have.

Regards

Richard

linesrg

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »

Good Afternoon All,

That's me 700+ miles into running the Zoe. The average to date is 0.284kW/ Mile. No issues with it at all so far. I've gotten used to the circa one mile walk from the charging point to the flat, it will be less pleasant in winter of course.

One outlet of the twin charger is currently U/S which is a pain but the other has been available the two times we needed it. I've reported this to ChargePlace Scotland but received no acknowledgement so have no idea if they are sending anybody to investigate.

Fitted roof bars too it yesterday (yes I know Renault say they're 'Prohibited'). Will likely be testing them taking my son's kayak into town tomorrow.

Regards

Richard

Mike McMillan

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2018, 06:47:29 AM »

Hi Richard,

Have you looked through the Speak EV forum? There is a specific Renault ZE section that is full of enthusiastic Zoe owners! Our 1 year service comes up this month, and there is still 1000 unused miles left. Amazing car, still can't get over the silent mode of transport. The only downside is that it won't charge off the inverter (we are off grid). There must be an earthing problem somewhere but haven't had a chance to get the electrician round to sort it. Happy driving!

Mike

Osborne Bay

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
linesrg

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2018, 08:00:23 AM »

Mike,

Yes I'm on that forum - unimaginatively as 'linesrg'.

For reasons I can't entirely explain I 'enjoy' driving the Zoe a whole lot more than the Skoda.

I welcome the day when a financially viable alternative to the Skoda makes economic sense but given we've just bought it and it is only a 2013 model it will likely be with us for some years (cars have a 8year+ life with us to date) to come but we would need a genuine 250 - 300 miles in winter alternative before such a replacement would work for us.

I've washed it twice so far. I never thoroughly washed the Golf in the 7 years of ownership (the dealers did more to clean it than we did at the annual service) other than to keep the lights/ registration plate clean nor the Audi previously.

Was it on Fully Charged that I heard that there is a 12 month waiting list for the Hyundai Ioniq in part to do with battery availability and that a similar argument applied to the eGolf?

Regards

Richard

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: