navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look wot we got!  (Read 4452 times)
TheFairway

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »

Yes, you can coil most electric cable just like a rope - its the twist that is key and anyone who has spent time coiling rope/sheets, say on a small boat, will find that the technique is the same.

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my employer, clients or partners.

linesrg

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 01:28:29 PM »

Good Afternoon All,

I am a professional seaman.............. Wink

IMHO the best way is to 'roll' coil it rather than attempt to loop it - a bit like Tirfor wires.

The Konnwei OBD dongle has turned up today - now to see if I can get the CanZE app. up and running.............

Regards

Richard

16 x BP380 on a Lorentz tracker/ SMA SB2500, 16 x Chinese 80W/ SMA SB1700, 16 x BP380/ SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 heat pump/ Gledhill ASL0085 300litre EHS/ 3off Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and an Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 x Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery.
linesrg

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »

Good Afternoon All,

I've been doing some reading up on the Zappi system and elsewhere.

From what I can gather the Zappi isn't as flexible as the Immersun in that there is no provision for a 'remote' CT facility like the Immersun with the T1070 wireless set-up. I've sent the manufacturers an EM querying this.

I believe the Zoe needs a minimum charge rate of 10A so I'd need some 2.5kW of exported PV to start charging?

As mentioned in my 'Heat Pump Install @ Courtiestown' thread I'm looking at making best use of the energy I have. Once the Solar ET is functioning as it should the need for the Immersun diversion will lessen.

Thoughts welcome.

Regards

Richard

16 x BP380 on a Lorentz tracker/ SMA SB2500, 16 x Chinese 80W/ SMA SB1700, 16 x BP380/ SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 heat pump/ Gledhill ASL0085 300litre EHS/ 3off Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and an Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 x Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery.
merkland

« Reply #63 on: Today at 10:19:33 AM »

Richard,

Don't know very much about it but just wondering why you need a special device for charging your Zoe from your house PV, unless you only want to charge it when there is sufficient PV available. If the Zoe is to be your main transport then it will have to be charged when it needs it rather than wait until there is PV available!

merkland.

200w wind turbine grid tied, 1x175w PV grid tie or to batteries,
2x55w PV to batteries, 24vx440ah battery bank. 3.5Kw grid tie (14xSanyo 250w facing 160degrees at 80 degrees inclination, Aurora 3.6 inverter), 2xflat panel water heating (for over 30 years )
TheFairway

« Reply #64 on: Today at 10:44:44 AM »

I came to the same conclusion when I started looking at real EV's rather than toy ones and PHEV's.

For us, whilst a 20 mile/day commute is not going to take much replenishing, say 6kWh, time of use would not permit that until the weekend, at which point, its 30kWh. Over some months, this would be entirely practical from excess solar, but, as has been said, the main reason to charge the EV is to drive it, not to store excess energy.

And that is from the single use case.

Add in a weekend jaunt, or ad hoc longer trips, my personal opinion is to keep it simple and either charge during the day when grid use may be augmented by free solar power, use destination charging, or charge overnight on cheap rate energy. That way you pretty much guarantee that the car will have enough energy for use.

Like using a washing machine, time controlled use and a bit of common sense probably covers 90% of what is ultimately possible. Im now entirely comfortable with a little usage coming from outside the generation curve.

That said, it would be nice if you could tell the EV what max charge rate should be. Can you do this or is it simply based upon the capabilities of the charger? ie Could I tell the EV to charge at 3kWh if it was connected to a 7kWh charger? What about 2kWh?

And then there is Oct through to Feb...

When we dip our toes into EV, it will be main car, so 200-300 mile real range and 70kWh battery. Charge it up overnight every week or couple of weeks and except for an exceptionally long run to remote destination, I am hoping that EV will be as easy to live with as our current vehicle.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:57:04 AM by TheFairway » Logged

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my employer, clients or partners.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: