navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help required with battery charging voltages for EpZs and Victron Multi  (Read 1746 times)
HillTimeBandits

« on: January 12, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »

Hi all.
I'm looking for some help with getting the charging voltages correct for my battery.
I recently installed a refurbed 5kw Multi, but have lost the settings from my old 3kw unit.
I did inquire with battery providers (now Eco Bat), and they told me the suitable voltages, however, i'm unsure how to set the multi to get to these settings.
The batts need to get to 32v, top of charge, but unsure what setting on the charger tab on VEC to get to this.
I have tried the preset battery types, but they don't seem to work. Also ticking the traction battery curve, doesn't get them to the right voltage.
Any help appreciated.
regards
Enda
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:24:02 PM »

Hi
Can't u access  the voltage settings via the victron 've configure software ? And  are u sure to charge the brats to 32 v ? Sounds high on a regular bases .   
Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
HillTimeBandits

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »

Hi Billi.
Thanks for reply.
I can access via the software, but this is where I'm finding it tricky to get the right voltages.
32V does sound  high, but that's what I've been using for nearly 9 years  and again was confirmed last week by manufacturer.
Just wondering if anyone else out there has a similar set up and what settings on the software they use.
Thanks
E
Tinbum

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »

That sounds more like a equalize voltage. Huh

What batteries are they?

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
HillTimeBandits

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »

Hi Billi. They are 7EPZs705  flooded Traction batteries.
Regards. Enda

Tinbum

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:54:37 AM »

may help

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17742.0.html

I would contact the actual battery manufacturer directly.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:25:19 AM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
kibi

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »

Hello Edna.

I think I can help with the configuration. It's slightly quirky in the way that you create a custom charge profile.

First, select the Charger tab in VE-Configure. Just above the graph, you should be able to type in the voltages which correspond to your battery parameters.

Note, as soon as you select the boxes on this page, another box pops up. The pop up box gives you information on the minimum and maximum values that can be applied for the particular parameter. Type in your values in the box and Select "OK". You'll see any altered values highlighted on orange on the main "Charger" tab. In my example I have altered the Absorbtion voltage value.

Once you have all of your parameters set to the appropriate values, you then need to apply them to a battery type. At the top right there is a box which displays the battery type. It should say "No corrosponding default" if you have applied your own parameters in the previous step.

Click on "Battery type:" and you'll be presented with another window entitled "Please select battery type". The "No corresponding default" button should be automatically selected and greyed out.
Here is where you click on the third button down on the left, "Create new type"

A confirmation window will pop up. Click on "Yes".

You'll then be presented with a window in which you can type in a name for your battery type. Click OK when you are ready.

You are then sent back to the "Please select battery type" window where your newly created battery type should be selected at the bottom of the list. Click the OK button.

You'll then go back to the main "Charger" tab. Your parameters should all be correct and your battery type will be displayed at the top right corner.

Finally, click on the "Send settings" button at the bottom left of the window to program the settings into the Multiplus. (The "Send settings" button is not present in my example because I am not connected to my Multiplus, I'm running this example from a previously saved configuration file).

I hope this information is what you were after.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

here is the charging   graph  for "tubular plate traction battery mode "   from the victron software   

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13942.15

.... i personaly question the 32 Volt  setpoint  in an  off grid cenario   , it might be diffrent  for fast charging  forklift  ideas , where the night is too short to fully charge the battery before the next shift starts  , i would not set my PV   to 32 Volt charging  on a daily bases !

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 05:55:41 PM »

Methinks that kind of setting would be OK for a generator only set up where you're not doing a full charge/discharge cycle. Seems awfully high for an RE setup and I'd be questioning it's use on a solar charge controller. Methinks you would go through an awful lot of water using those voltages. I thought my settings were high at 60v float and 62v EQ, I go through 12lts water every three months.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
HillTimeBandits

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 08:54:44 PM »

Hi guys.
Thanks very much for all that info.
I think I'll need a wee while to digest it all before i get back to you.
Enda
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: