navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Offered - Advice  (Read 1904 times)
Bikerzz

« on: January 12, 2018, 07:48:41 PM »

£9400 Fully Fitted 6.16kw System with MSC cert and EPC along with the required G59 application

JA 280W Mono Panels
Solar Edge Hd Wave inverter
Solar Edge optimizsers (Each panel)
Modbus Meter
2 x Smart sockets
1 Water immersion controller for excess

Any advice? Good equipment to be fitted?

RIT

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »

How much extra to have a PowerWall 2 added at the same time? The reason being is that the VAT is 5% if installed as part of the PV system, or 20% if installed on its own.

How large will the inverter be? It seems odd that you are getting 6.16kw of PV (22 panels) as that is the upper limit of the 4KW inverter which is only just in the G59 range. I do not know the cost structure for a G59 application, so can't comment on if this is a good or bad thing - currently it just seems odd. Also the inverter can be configured to limit it's output so that it never gets into the G59 range, again without more info (such as what is the Modbus meter and G59 costs) it is just an unknown.

The other thing you may wish to ask for is a breakdown of the item costs. No installer is going to price at the lowest price you can find on the internet, but at least you can then tell if they are miss-pricing.

Side issues

- get the price for extended warranties if they are not already included, little point skipping these and unlike SMA, SolarEdge only allows you to take them out in the first 2 years.
- make sure that you have all the comms equipment included (WiFi etc) and that there is a good chance it will work in your house.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:18:45 PM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Bikerzz

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 09:18:45 PM »

Doesnt say size of inverter in the quote I have, however the quote has a pdf with it showing a datasheet on a 6kw one but will check.
RIT

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »

Doesnt say size of inverter in the quote I have, however the quote has a pdf with it showing a datasheet on a 6kw one but will check.

I think that just inforces my comment about getting an itemized list with costings (if possible). If they don't list what you are getting things can get complicated if you think there is a difference between what you get and what has been discussed.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Bikerzz

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »

Thanks. Yes I agree
gnarly

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 07:56:33 AM »

Siting of the panels is very important.  Will any of them be shaded by roof or trees at any time of the day?
Donít put them near chimneys or aerials.

G59 means the inverter might cut out more easily in high mains voltage situations (itís a risk on very sunny days), which depends a bit on your local supply.  It means the inverter needs to be close to the consumer unit and/or connected by a good thick ac cable
M

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:09:31 AM »

£9400 Fully Fitted 6.16kw System with MSC cert and EPC along with the required G59 application

JA 280W Mono Panels
Solar Edge Hd Wave inverter
Solar Edge optimizsers (Each panel)
Modbus Meter
2 x Smart sockets
1 Water immersion controller for excess

Any advice? Good equipment to be fitted?

Sounds like a great system, but very expensive. The bigger you go the lower the cost £/kWp should get as PV is pretty cheap. You may not want to go for the very cheapest deal, but I'd have thought something closer to £7k was possible(?)

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
RIT

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »

One last thing to ask about is protection against Pigeons nesting under the panels. The mounting system may stop this or another form of barrier may be needed.

Bikerzz

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 04:55:58 PM »

Thanks Guys.
Time to try another company then.
Its hard to find a local renewable company just these big ones that charge a fortune.
Warwickshire ;-)
RIT

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »

Thanks Guys.
Time to try another company then.
Its hard to find a local renewable company just these big ones that charge a fortune.
Warwickshire ;-)

I'm not sure you should just give up on them, at the moment they just need to detail the costs. A Solar Edge solution is not the cheapest, but will most likey increase the yield.

As with any major work you should get more than one quote anyway.

As Navitron provides this forum without any pressure to use their services, it would be good if you just gave them a call to see if their have any partners in your area. That way Navitron may gain some indirect business if their partner gives you a good quote.

All of us here have our own views on what is 'best', but your final solution has to be based around what you want/need. Just keep asking questions and we will keep offering views. 

TheFairway
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 09:46:10 PM »

SolarEdge was approx. 5% premium on my install. Will probably never recoup monetary cost even though I suffer hard part shading at certain times of day but I liked the idea of per panel monitoring.

But that did not include smart sockets etc but I've got a few (wouldn't bother again as mine are not very smart - ie they just go on and off whereby they would be more useful if they went on and stayed on for a set period of time) for about £30 each and my non solar edge immersion diverter added £300 to the cost. Not sure what SolarEdge branded equivalents cost but I suspect not as cheap as alternatives.

fwiw My SolarEdge 25 year inverter warranty cost just over £200 but it would be a bit more for > 4kW inverters.

Does seem expensive but suspect you have been upsold with some items that may never pay back. You can get an idea of your hot water savings by looking at your mid summer energy/gas use and extrapolating that to 6 months or so - maybe a bit longer with 6kw install. Smart plugs easily replicated with a bit of experience and appliances that have delay start. I planned to use mine on electric towel rails but they are unreliable as limit of their range - would have been nice to just turn on for an hour - I just do it manually now but a timer around 11am/midday would work well just to dry the towels.

Its easy to be talked into things that sound great but in reality a few weeks of being familiar with system you would probably get along equally well without them. Agree about battery but imho just far too expensive for the savings that could be made within the batteries potential lifespan. But then. Not everything is about the money.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:42:51 PM by TheFairway » Logged
Bikerzz

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »

Thanks Guys.
I had no idea Navitron had installers, I thought just sold the parts. Will certainly give them a call in the morning as I'm struggling to get various quotes.

Cheers
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »

Yes,
   The office number is right at the top of the forum page.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Bikerzz

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 02:07:36 PM »

Thanks. Called and got another number. Seems there are VERY few people around tho as even Navitron could only give me 1 name and number anywhere near me.
Solar Edge max single phase inverter is 6kw, so will have only been a 6kw inverter.

Bikerzz

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 07:09:08 AM »

Spoke to the guy that gave me the quote. A 6kw inverter will easily cope with 6.16kw as its rated for 155%, so will cope with 8kw. I presume 6.16kw panels will never produce this in the UK anyway so this is all fine. Agreed?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: