navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Evoco. Thoughts  (Read 1201 times)
charlieb

« on: February 10, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »

Hi folks. 
So, I bought an evoko 10kw turbine several years ago.  First Evoco went bust, then the installer, who had been really helpful repairing despite the warranty going down the drain alongside Evoco.  It's been on and off over the last few years, and has now conclusively died I think.   It's more or less paid for itself, so not too much of a disaster.

Anyway, I know have a tower quality foundation, tower and very good location.  And a FIT contract from early micro wind fits.  A few questions:
  • Technically, what are the challenges to sticking a different turbine on an Evoco tower?   Or a new tower and turbine on an existing foundation?  If I was to buy a new turbine outright how much might I expect to save on list price?
  • Same question re inverters.  They're a decent chunk of the cost and install logistics.  Any chance of repurposing the existing ones?
  • Commercially, does anyone know of an actual instance of a FIT contract continuing when a bust turbine has been replaced by a new one of a different make?

Thanks. Right now I'm just sounding out options.  I've had brief conversations with Gaia and Britwind (/Evance, etc) but nothing very serious. 
Tiff

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »

May be possible to keep the tower and have an adapter ring made up for a different nacelle.

As for FITs, I would not be surprised if you would be the first to replace a turbine. It may come down to that murky area of if its considered a new installation or not. Gaia's at 11kW rather than 10kW so might be tricky. Same goes for the H15, unless it can be derated.

Ted knows the FITs very well and will hopefully have some advice for you.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »

Is there a fault in the generator itself - shorted windings? Is there any option for a third-party repair?

The inverters would be OK to continue using as long as the input voltage from a new turbine matches the range of the inverters.

I haven't heard of a turbine being replaced under a FITs contract, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. You would need to talk to your FITs provider in the first instance. Presumably you've still got 12+ years to run?

Volunteer moderator
charlieb

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »

I'm not sure what's wrong with it tbh Ted.  Need a massive ram to get it up/down.    To be honest I'm very reluctant to spend any more money on the evoco nacelle: there are clearly one or two fundamental flaws in the design and getting it rewound seems like a risk of throwing good money after bad.  (Is it that way round?  Bad after good?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: